SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you rent a car you may want to avoid Enterprise, Hertz, Alamo, National, Simplisafe, Delta, United, and Chubb Ins.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you rent a car you may want to avoid Enterprise, Hertz, Alamo, National, Simplisafe, Delta, United, and Chubb Ins. Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
Enterprise bowing to the crazies.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business...nra-members-53296346

Enterprise ends car rental discount for NRA members

Car rental company Enterprise says it is ending a discount program for National Rifle Association members.

The company tweeted late Thursday: "All three of our brands have ended the discount for NRA members. This change will be effective March 26."

Enterprise Holdings also operates the Alamo and National brands.

The decision appeared to be a response to a backlash over a mass shooting that left 17 people dead at a school in Parkland, Florida.

Twitter accounts for the three brands tweeted the statement in response to inquiries from users, some of whom identified themselves as customers, demanding it sever ties with the NRA.

The decision followed one by the nation's largest privately-owned bank holding company, Nebraska-based First National Bank of Omaha, to stop producing credit cards for the NRA.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BamaJeepster,

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think lots of companies and associations will.
What's crazy is that they are appeasing a very small minority, while going against majority and they feel like they are on the "people's" side.

Posts: 1177 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scsigs:
What's crazy is that they are appeasing a very small minority, while going against majority and they feel like they are on the "people's" side.

Very small minority? 65 million people voted for Hillary vs 62 million for Trump. How many of those people in Hillary's camp do you think would make your guns disappear if they could? Also consider that not every Trump voter is a 2A supporter.

We can't underestimate these people and we can't give them an inch.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Enterprise is based here. My Dad knew Jack Taylor when he started the business in the basement of Lindburg Cadillac. He was a Navy guy. Built a great business. Died in 2016 at the age of 94.

But now... they are a big business. They have become expensive relative to competitors. Even with their rewards programs and discounts, they aren't cheap. When I was in California last year I wanted to rent a car. Even with my Emerald Club discounts, I was way better off with Sixt --- which until then I had never even heard of.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24055 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, I don't have much choice. National and Enterprise are the companies my employer uses.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:
quote:
Originally posted by scsigs:

Very small minority? 65 million people voted for Hillary vs 62 million for Trump. How many of those people in Hillary's camp do you think would make your guns disappear if they could? Also consider that not every Trump voter is a 2A supporter.

We can't underestimate these people and we can't give them an inch.

so you think majority of people are anti gun?

I personally don't. I think lots of people don't really care but are swayed by a small loud group.

Posts: 1177 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If most voters were anti-gun, the left would pass horrific gun laws immediately. The fact they don't really even try is evidence they know they would be voted out of office. As far as boycotts and such go, you're better off contacting the company and making your feelings known. An email has less impact than a phone call, and a phone call less than a handwritten letter.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
The NRA discount at AVIS has given me lower rates than others in the past few years.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
That's not good because I actually had a good experience with Enterprise when I flew down to Atlanta last weekend. I rented a brand new Audi Q3 for two days and it only cost $90.00 which included all fees. Which company is a good alternative?

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More details:

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.afe7202f748e

#BoycottNRA: Enterprise car rentals, Omaha bank sever gun lobby ties as boycott movement gains steam

By Fred Barbash February 23 at 5:35 AM

Two major companies, Enterprise Holdings Inc. and First National Bank of Omaha ended co-branding partnerships with the National Rifle Association Thursday as a #BoycottNRA social media movement picked up steam.

Enterprise is the parent company of three car-rental brands: Enterprise, Alamo and National. The arrangement offered discounts to NRA members.

First National Bank of Omaha, one of the country’s largest privately held bank, announced the end of a credit-card co-branding deal with the NRA. The bank had issued what its ads described as the “Official Credit Card of the NRA,” according to the Omaha World-Herald. The Visa card offered 5 percent back on gas and sporting goods store purchases and a $40 bonus card.

The decisions came as names of companies with NRA associations began circulating widely on the Internet via social media under the #BoycottNRA hashtag in the wake of the attack at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., by a gunman wielding an AR-15. The Feb. 14 shootings claimed 17 lives and drew anguished calls for a ban on assault weapons from students and families.

American businesses have become increasingly aware politically and have participated in boycotts over the past few years against states over LGBT-rights issues. But the NRA is a well-funded membership operation devoted to a single cause — guns — and unlikely to be moved by the actions of companies with which it has such loose and peripheral ties.

The mass killing focused renewed attention on the NRA, which is credited with blocking gun control measures for years through millions of dollars in campaign contributions and pressure from its large membership base.

Like many other organizations, the NRA has benefit deals with companies designed to make membership more appealing. The NRA “member benefits” page offers savings on a credit card, hearing aids, car rentals, travel, car purchases and prescription drugs, among other things.

Hashtags urging boycotts of specific companies involved in the deals sprouted up over the past few days across social media. People then started posting comments on the social media platforms of many of the companies urging them to take action.

The Omaha bank appears to have been the first to respond.

“Customer feedback has caused us to review our relationship with the NRA,” the bank said in a statement posted on Twitter. “As a result, First National Bank of Omaha will not renew its contract with the National Rifle Association to issue the NRA Visa Card.”

Enterprise followed a few hours later on Thursday. “All three of our brands have ended the discount for NRA members,” said a tweet on the Enterprise Rent-A-Car account.

The NRA had not commented on the move by late Thursday. The World-Herald quoted Rod Moeller, director of government affairs for the Nebraska Firearms Owners Association, saying that the group will “be giving strong consideration to moving their accounts to a bank that hasn’t bowed to political pressure.”

Boycott movements have become increasingly effective political tools over the past few years. Indiana got hit hard by threatened boycotts in 2015 when then-Gov. Mike Pence signed legislation allowing businesses and individuals to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation. The Indiana legislature and Pence reversed the measure within two weeks.

In 2016, North Carolina was the target of a business boycott after it enacted a “bathroom bill” requiring transgender people to use bathrooms based on their assigned gender at birth. After the NCAA canceled tournaments in the state and PayPal decided not to build a new facility in the state, the legislation was partially repealed.

The NRA claims 5 million members and corporate allies in the gun industry that provide the organization with tens of millions of dollars per year. The group devotes massive resources to fighting gun regulations in the name of the Second Amendment to the Constitution, which protects the right to bear arms.

The organization is unlikely to be swayed from its main mission by boycotts or corporate disaffiliations.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
I just changed my car rental for next month’s vacation from Enterprise to Hertz.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:
That's not good because I actually had a good experience with Enterprise when I flew down to Atlanta last weekend. I rented a brand new Audi Q3 for two days and it only cost $90.00 which included all fees. Which company is a good alternative?

Hertz is probably the best though maybe a little more pricey.

But really, they're car rental companies. If you only rent every so often, any of them will do. Screw enterprise. I typically rented from Alamo, but never again, and I'll be sure to let them know why I recently canceled my reservation.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Enterprise blows. Terrible customer service and they are the worst at over booking locations.

Some smaller bank will recognize the immediate portfolio boost partnering with the NRA. My guess is if they offer a remotely decent transfer plan folks will switch in droves.

Then you might see FNBO rethink their position. Being privately held they have more latitude than a publicly held company.

If a decent private bank offers to partner with the NRA I will probably switch the account I use for business over to it.

Mark

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
The decision appeared to be a response to a backlash over a mass shooting that left 17 people dead at a school in Parkland, Florida.

WTF?!?! They do know that Wayne and Dana were not even present during the shooting, right?

Did they also boycott Home Depot or the manufacturer of the truck used in the New York City attack? That would make a lot more sense, than boycotting an organization that was in no way involved in this event.

It is like boycotting the Botanical Society of America since I'm allergic to hibiscus.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I rarely use rental cars, but I do have an executive membership at National through one of my credit cards. I just emailed them to cancel it because I wouldn't want to burden them with the moral quandry of accepting money from someone who belongs to the NRA.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Just another case of virtue signaling by businesses, for the sake of their business. It was also virtue signaling when they initiated the discounts. We didn't complain about that, I bet.

I don't see this as a big deal unless the same companies cross over to the other side, i.e., start endorsing and supporting gun-grabber organizations. (I have not researched to see if they have in fact done that.)

IMO I'm perfectly happy with companies I might like to do business with staying the frack away from all political issues.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I haven't stepped into a Bank in years, so screw that bank. I'm with a PA Credit Union.

Haven't rented a car from Enterprise in years, so screw them, too.

Did I miss anyone?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a credit card from 1st National Bank of Omaha. Today I cut it up and mailed it back to them with a short letter saying I no longer wanted to do business with them because of their stance regarding the NRA.

Posts: 201 | Location: Boyce, VA | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hertz twitted today that they are also cutting ties with the NRA.

Posts: 143 | Location: San Diego, California | Registered: May 24, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have sent Metlife and Enterprise both messages that their virtue signaling is absurd. They devalue Americans whose major crime is their participation in our democratic processes.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1526 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post