SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Smart cameras catch alleged crook in crowd of 60,000
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smart cameras catch alleged crook in crowd of 60,000 Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
This is as scary as it is fascinating. So much for getting lost in the crowd. Eek

A man wanted by police was nabbed at a pop star’s concert thanks to facial recognition technology -- which picked the alleged crook out of a crowd of 60,000 people.

Chinese police said the suspect – only identified as Mr. Ao – was attending a concert by pop star Jacky Cheung in Nanchang last weekend when he was spotted by CCTV cameras.

“The suspect looked completely caught by surprise when we took him away,” police officer Li Jin told state news agency Xinhua. “He didn’t think police would be able to catch him from a crowd of 60,000 so quickly.”

Authorities said Mr. Ao was identified by cameras equipped with facial recognition technology at the venue’s ticket entrance and apprehended by police after he sat down at his seat.

Li told China Daily that the CCTV system at the concert venue was connected to the police database.

Mr. Ao was wanted for “economic crimes.”

The BBC reported a local news site released footage that appeared to show Mr. Ao telling police if he had known about the cameras, he wouldn’t have gone to the concert.”

China has an extensive CCTV network with more than 170 million cameras.

Chinese police have used facial recognition technology to capture a number of suspects in the past. In August, police in Quigdao, Shandong province, arrested 25 fugitives thanks to cameras set at a local beer festival.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2...-at-pop-concert.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw this site a few years ago..... Just zoom in....or out:

http://www.gigapixel.com/image...apan-canucks-g7.html

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Facial recognition in a crowd of 60,000 Chinese Eek....now THAT's technology!

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4571 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:

That’s insane...even from 2011

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
This one is even crazier!

http://www.gigapixel.com/vancouver/van-city.html

Amazing, what’s more amazing is the time it took to white out all license plates on the vehicles.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They caught him at the ticket turnstile entrance, so it really is one person at a time.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
They caught him at the ticket turnstile entrance, so it really is one person at a time.

Oh, well now I'm not nearly as impressed. I thought they picked him up out of that massive crowd. That's what I get for just reading the headline.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
As others have noted, the facial recognition scanner was posted at the ticket entrance so it's once face at a time.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23218 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

So, in a thread about sorting out 60,000 people in Nanchang, China, I randomly zoom in on this picture from Vancouver BC, and what do I find? A hot Asian chick. Cool

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
So, in a thread about sorting out 60,000 people in Nanchang, China, I randomly zoom in on this picture from Vancouver BC, and what do I find? A hot Asian chick. Cool

Yep, she's a hottie alright.

Even more amazing is the couple having sex.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not exactly. In a line of people, seems to me by the following statement:

“authorities said Mr. Ao was identified by cameras equipped with facial recognition technology at the venue’s ticket entrance and apprehended by police after he sat down at his seat.”

Edit: as already pointed out here.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
They all look alike to me. Smile

quote:
newtoSig765: A hot Asian chick. Cool
rusbro: Even more amazing is the couple having sex.
It would be cool if the image viewers provided image/cursor coordinates.

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:

To be fair, there are a lot of hot Asian chicks in Vancouver. It ain’t like you found the needle in the haystack...

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10928 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
you did better than me, I zoomed in and this is what I got:

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of radinski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
quote:

Amazing, what’s more amazing is the time it took to white out all license plates on the vehicles.

If you look closely I don't think the license plates are whited out. But what I did notice is moving objects seem to be duplicated. If you look at the cars in the middle more open stretches you'll notice that they are doubled. About 30-50 feet between them.

Posts: 273 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: January 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Even more crazier than that > Terapixel

https://viewer.gigamacro.com/v...1=12834.28&rot1=0.00

FWIW, it is essentially made by sewing multiple pictures together, not your typical cam.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
^^^ radinski

That is strange.

The 3 cars circled are duplicated in the same lane, with the cars in the same relative formation.

The 1 car circled is duplicated in different lanes and in different relationship to the other cars.

The upper duplicate cars appear brighter and in sharper focus.

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
To be fair, there are a lot of hot Asian chicks in Vancouver. It ain’t like you found the needle in the haystack...

Canada is indeed blessed! I was in line for a takeout lunch in Toronto some years back, happened to turn around and behind me was the most beautiful woman I've seen in my whole life -- yes, Asian.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post