SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ever wonder what it’s like inside a modern ultra-deepwater drillship?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever wonder what it’s like inside a modern ultra-deepwater drillship? Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted
Here's a video walk-through of a drillship built in 2010 located in the Gulf of Mexico. It's long but pretty neat to see all the goings-on inside and on that thing.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/UUc5GnXSvCM

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fascinating.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Wheres Blofelds cabin and his Bathoscape, and wheres Tiffany Case...

Posts: 23241 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Crazy cool.

Alan, are you on a tanker?

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
Crazy cool.

Alan, are you on a tanker?

Not exactly. A tanker barge would be more accurate, specifically an articulated tug and barge.

Here is a photo I took a few weeks back of us lightering a 1,000 foot long supertanker. My vessel is about 700' long. She dwarfed us.

We have a capacity of 350,000 barrels of crude.

The supertanker's house structure.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
Alan, how many HP is your tug, got any pics of it?

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dbltap:
Alan, how many HP is your tug, got any pics of it?

12,000 HP.

I'll see if there are any external pics of her that I can share, though I try to be careful what I post in that regard due to our company's policies relating to social media.

ETA:

Well here she is up on blocks in dry dock. Like a giant guppy out of water, I know.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Balzé Halzé,

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

posted Hide Post
ATBs - are they intended to get into smaller ports where supertankers can't reach or dock?

I've done some work with terminals in Long Beach. Those tankers are amazing and YUGE.

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Wheres Blofelds cabin and his Bathoscape, and wheres Tiffany Case...

Mmmmm... Jill St. John. Big Grin

Posts: 516 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
ATBs - are they intended to get into smaller ports where supertankers can't reach or dock?

That is the idea behind "lightering operations," but there are other reasons for building an ATB rather than an equivalent sized "ship" than for simply lightering. Ships can lighter other ships for instance, but ATBs are generally more cost effective and allow a company certain exceptions when crewing or classifying a vessel. In essence, they're cheaper.

More and more shipping companies seem to be going this route in fact, at least for primarily coastwise vessels.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
Interesting stuff Alan. In your company or
industry average, what is the ratio of tugs to barges? Im assuming more barges than tugs for max efficiency.

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
GREAT STUFF!!! I just wish the vid wouldn't have had that "fish eye" effect...I think it made me a little nauseous. Seriously...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

I'll see if there are any external pics of her that I can share....

Check http://www.marinetraffic.com/.

They have a database of vessels with pictures that are open source.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31379 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

I'll see if there are any external pics of her that I can share....

Check http://www.marinetraffic.com/.

They have a database of vessels with pictures that are open source.

Yes, but I am disinclined to share online who my employer is.

By the way, Marine Traffic is a great resource for anyone who has an interest in the world of shipping.

Lot of ships out there...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)