SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    my how times have changed
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

my how times have changed Login/Join 
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted
Gas today is $2.80 gal. I was inline at a dollar store, Reese's' PB cup 2 pack is $.95 !!!!I remember walking the mile from my home to the village picking up 5-6 soda bottles and having enough refund money to buy a bottle of soda AND a PB cup .

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4583 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
.10 Pop and large jars of loose cookies marked 2 cookies for .01 ... well, some were .01 each and some 2 for .01

There was no tax on sales of .10 or less, so we'd buy a pop ... walk outside and stash the pop ... walk back inside and buy a little brown bag of .10 worth of cookies. Hey, a penny was 2 cookies. Shoot. ... and if mama had given us a quarter, we'd either walk back home with a nickel or maybe we'd go back in and get a pack of gum for .05. Seems like just day before yesterday ... or maybe a couple of days ago.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but back then an AM/FM radio was seventy bucks! Wink

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
i too remember picking up enough returnable bottles to get a coke and a candy bar. Often I'd get a little cellophane pack of Daisy bb's for I believe a nickle!

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
... bought my first brand spanking new automobile in 1974 when I was 21. Paid sticker ... $3032 for a shiny no miles Dodge Dart Sport off the showroom floor ... a blue one.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
Also, you guys are old. Big Grin

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Over the years I drove several different decent condition used cars and pickups that cost less than $1000, and two VW vans that I bought for $100 and $60.

Now if we buy a vehicle for less than $30k and hang onto it for 5 years I think we’ve hit a home run.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Lots of memories walking into the King Kwik in Madeira, collecting bottles along the way to buy a candy bar and a pop.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
... bought my first brand spanking new automobile in 1974 when I was 21. Paid sticker ... $3032 for a shiny no miles Dodge Dart Sport off the showroom floor ... a blue one.
My first new car was a 1960 Ford Falcon--I paid about $2000 for it, and drove it for 6 years.

I remember penny candy--there was a little variety store across the street from my school that sold them. Very popular to stop there on the way home.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
We walked the alleyways from our neighborhood block down the road about 6-8 blocks (with no supervision, no cell phone mind you) and picked up coke bottles on the way to get the deposits. Nine times outta ten we had enough by the time we got there to get a snack AND play a game or three of Asteroids, the newest thing that had just come out. I must have been 11-12ish?

Those were never ending summers, where the only rule was that if you come inside during the day, you'd better need to poop or be deathly ill. Otherwise stay out of the house!

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
And when having a temporary unskilled labor job for $2.62 an hour was a huge step up from the 1¢ a pound I got for my (very brief) job picking pickle cucumbers, and then joining the Army and being paid less than $80 per month while being expected to contribute part of that to the Red Cross.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I have a 68 Mustang convertible with a copy of the original window sticker. Just over $3000. Of course, that is equivalent to roughly $22K today, but still....

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
When I was 12-13 I mowed a couple yards in the neighborhood. Push mower, no rider or self propelled. I got $2.50 per yard and that would buy you approximately 5 Big Macs. So today I guess those yards would have to bring about $20.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What year did life begin in color?

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rotary phones. And pay phones. I can still remember my childhood phone number. It was drilled into me.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Rotary phones. And pay phones. I can still remember my childhood phone number. It was drilled into me.

Trinity (TR) 2-3549 ... or ... 872-3549
Took a while to correlate the "TR" (for Trinity) into "87". Didn't have to dial the 87 part for local calls most of my time growing up. Just knew for some reason that never made much sense, that Trinity was technically part of the phone number.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
WIndsor 6-2820

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
I remember my Mom sending me to the store at the age of seven with fifty cents to get two boxes of .22 ammunition so we could go shooting soup cans. Smile

Posts: 1088 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roarindan:
Gas today is $2.80 gal.

I remember when gas was <$2.00/gallon, but that was last Halloween.

Seriously, I remember 19.9¢/gallon gas during "Gas Wars" around 1960. Candy bars were a nickel though I don't go back far enough for nickel Cokes and pay phone calls.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first phone I remember was a rotary dial on a party line. First car was a '67 Plymouth Valiant and gas was about a 0.25 a gallon for a long time. I was running on fumes once and it took $4.54 to fill the tank, I remember thinking that was a lot of money for gas. A buddy's parents bought a Maverick around the same time-the base price was about $1,800. First NEW car was a '72 Barracuda with a 318 V8 that was $3,200.

Posts: 763 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post