SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    my how times have changed
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

my how times have changed Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adobesig:
I remember my Mom sending me to the store at the age of seven with fifty cents to get two boxes of .22 ammunition so we could go shooting soup cans. Smile

I remember my mom sending me to the store at the age of seven with fifty cents to buy her a pack of cigarettes. Big Grin In addition to the Salems, I had enough left over to buy a candy bar.

One phone in the house. A black wall mounted rotary with a big long cord. 756-9592.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
My first car was a Ford Fairlane GT with the 390. At that time Super Shell was .28 gal and it was fed a steady diet of that and Sunoco 260 without any pains at the pump. The 390 purred like a kitten and growled like a tiger with either brands.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had a Dial phone with a long cord and I still remember my home number. I also picked up bottles and then took them to Kroger's for cash. A fill-up at Marathon got you a B.C. Comics Glass. My first car (1975) was a 69 Mustang that had been damaged in a accident (I paid $600 for the car). I repaired it during summer vacation (parts cost $150). I cut grass, delivered newspapers and cleaned eve's until I was 17 and got a full time job (and paid taxes).

I once jaywalked in front of a Police car in order to retrieve a $5 bill I spotted. Big Grin

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC Ret

Posts: 1450 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
A kid had to be creative to make a buck where I lived. Later years I shoveled a lot of snow, cut meats and had a 56 Customer paper route. As a ungster, I cut pretty flowers from strangers flower gardens and sold them to completely strange ladies. Regarding all the pop bottle posts, we had a large A&P store near by. I would take their grocery cart, around the back to their dock, fill it to the brim with their bottles, back around front through their electric door and ring the bell at their bottle return window. They would take back their bottles, pay me for them and never asked a question. Same for Trick or Treat for UNICEF, I would collect while Trick or Treating for my Church Sunday School. I also learned people who set on bar stools, and there were a lot of bars in my town, would donate more. Hey, at least I am honest.. Big Grin

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to buy a 16oz Frostie root beer and a Hostess chocolate cream pie for .25 at the local convenience store. They used to be called a store. Oh, I'd also get 3 cents back for the bottle deposit. The good old days Big Grin

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phone inthe kitchen was yellow bakelite and rotary dial. That cord must have been thirty feet, coiled up. Could reach any point in the house with it. 273-1012. If my friends called during dinner, my parents told them I was busy eating, and hung up. Candy bars were still well below fifty cents, and I rode my bike to the ezmart a couple of miles away if I wanted one. In fact, most of my summer days were on my bike, unsupervised.

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Why is gasoline that much a gallon? Simple, you fools elected a democrat to office. Think back, and you'll see the last time Y'all did that gas finally went over $4 a gallon, and that wasn't enough for him. Obammy lived in Shit-car-go and they could walk or take public transportation. His goal was $5 gas, and he said so in public. Folks seem to be slow learners. Make that real slow learners.

They come from the big Shitys and don't care where you live, you should adopt their life styles. We've only had that bastard in office for a month now and look at the damage. Just wait, there's more. Yes, I'm represented by the other guy you hate, Mitch and Rand Paul. My rep is a 'publican, too. OK, Biden is a piece of shit and he's already taken steps to raise fuel prices, to say nothing of heating oil. Don't worry, government will take care of you. Using your money.

OK, one reason I don't hate unions is because they used to throw summer picnics. Lots of bottles tossed in the bushes, their members were just pigs. But I didn't hate them because they provided support during the summers.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
We walked the alleyways from our neighborhood block down the road about 6-8 blocks (with no supervision, no cell phone mind you) and picked up coke bottles on the way to get the deposits. Nine times outta ten we had enough by the time we got there to get a snack AND play a game or three of Asteroids, the newest thing that had just come out. I must have been 11-12ish?

Those were never ending summers, where the only rule was that if you come inside during the day, you'd better need to poop or be deathly ill. Otherwise stay out of the house!

The year before I went into the army, I pulled a wagon from my house to the edge of the Nez Perce reservation. Collecting returnable bottles. Took the money to buy a nice bouquet of flowers for my girl friend. 22 miles round trip. I was 16.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by adobesig:
I remember my Mom sending me to the store at the age of seven with fifty cents to get two boxes of .22 ammunition so we could go shooting soup cans. Smile

I remember my mom sending me to the store at the age of seven with fifty cents to buy her a pack of cigarettes. Big Grin In addition to the Salems, I had enough left over to buy a candy bar.

One phone in the house. A black wall mounted rotary with a big long cord. 756-9592.
In the 1950s my parents would send me to the nearby store to buy cigarettes for them--Lucky Strikes were $1.89 a carton. I was 17 years old, and hated doing it (I am an anti-smoker who's never tried even one). Both my parents smoked and I despised it (but I loved them).

My first job was a grocery packer at a Big Bear supermarket in Detroit. I was paid $0.50/hr plus tips--a quarter a bag was high! Even the packers had to attend a class on hygeine from the city and get a doctor's release. My second job was an order taker/packer for a Chinese carryout kitchen in Detroit--better pay plus supper (still a high schooler).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys are going way too far back.

When Trump was in office gas was $2.12 at the WAWA down the street, since Biden has been in office it has been as high as $2.55.

Is this price gouging or did bite-me do something already that should make gas jump this fast?

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I bought three bricks of vintage 22 rimfire from a family estate sale in Gibsonia PA. This ammo was purchased at the historic Kaufmann's in downtown Pittsburgh.

All of the boxes were individually priced.
I'm no expert on the price tag markings but I would assume this would be 1963-

27 cents per each 50-round box-

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
You guys are going way too far back.

When Trump was in office gas was $2.12 at the WAWA down the street, since Biden has been in office it has been as high as $2.55.

Is this price gouging or did bite-me do something already that should make gas jump this fast?

He shut down the keystone pipeline and was all the news the middle east needed to raise prices......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Carried the gas can to the station for lawnmower 25cts or less for 1 gallon. Rotary phone and did not have to dial 1st two numbers if calling anyone in our prefix number. Grandparents had a 3 point party line with a different rings for each line. On saturdays go to movie with 50cts and get in and candy/soda. Things sure have changed and sometimes not for better. ........................ drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Easy for me to remember my child hood phone number, my Mom still has the same number for the last 60 years.

Posts: 406 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
[/url]

Posts: 19504 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jtedescucci
posted Hide Post
Used to buy a bag of day-old doughnuts from our neighborhood doughnut shop for about 25 cents. One or two dozen, whatever the shop owner could cram into a paper bag. Nothing unusual about that until you consider that the entire town had 11,000 residents and it was a neighborhood shop! The year was about 1955 and we boys FEASTED on those. Didn't bother us at all that they were 1 day old. Hell, that was a lot fresher than most of the food we got. And that shop was right next door to the neighborhood chickery, so we could always go in and admire the baby chicks while we scarfed down the doughnuts. Good days, good memories, Good God -> where did it all go?

"...we have put together I think the most extensive & inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden

Posts: 3043 | Location: AC/Clarksville | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jtedescucci
posted Hide Post
Elk - I'm gonna do something that I hope is acceptable to you, and I hope it is not illegal - at least on this forum. I'm gonna steal (or at least copy) your signature. I believe it is so appropriate for one of my passions -> fighting abortion. I HOPE this is alright with you... And THANKS!....FredT

"...we have put together I think the most extensive & inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden

Posts: 3043 | Location: AC/Clarksville | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I recall pay phones were a dime, and I had a fit when they jacked it up to a quarter (“highway robbery!”). A fully loaded 1978 Lincoln Town Car was $14,500. As a kid I borrowed $100 from my father to buy a push mower with which I mowed yards in my Grandmother’s mobile home park FOR $5, and paid back the loan the first summer. Mowed yards for several summers with that $100 mower. Things were made to last back then.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
I bought a 1971 Corvette for $5600.

When I was a little kid, I remember we had a rotary phone and a "party line". You had to pay extra for a "private line". With a party line, 3 or 4 other homes shared the line. When you wanted to make a call, you picked up the phone and listened. If one of the other "partys" were talking, you hung up and tried again later.

Posts: 19504 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Yep, between the open gym to shoot hoop I could walk less than a 1/2 mile. Pick up a few pop bottles and have enough to buy a bottle of Quench. Smile at the little local store with wooden plank flooring.

Those were some good days. Seemed like gas was under .30 a gal. back them. The days of real hotrods. Not the garbage of today.

We are headed for some rough waters I fear.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post