SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Duplicate car key
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Duplicate car key Login/Join 
posted
The duplicate car key and fob to my 2016 Honda Accord is nowhere to be found. I will need to get a backup. It is the kind that remotely unlocks the doors and trunk. What other options other than the dealership?

Cost is important as well as the time and hassle factor.

Thanks

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Is it a chipped key?

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think so.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Check your local Ace Hardware store, or an independent locksmith.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30668 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Ace Hardware was not much cheaper than the Toyota dealer for my extra fob and keys. By contrast, I think it was around 25.00 maybe less, for 2 new OEM fobs on Ebay. 2 New chipped keys were around $19.00, also OEM.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmc85
posted Hide Post
AAA came out to me when I needed a new truck key. Mobile locksmith showed up, cut a chipped key, cut a door key, and cleaned out my ignition. The whole process took maybe 45 mins and was pretty dang cheap. IIRC I had to pay something like $25 out of pocket.

Check with them if you have it.

Posts: 2997 | Location: FL | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmc85
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2997 | Location: FL | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Buy the remote/key online and then take it to a locksmith to have it cut and programmed. I’ve done this 4 or 5 times. Still comes out way less than the dealer.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
+1 for Ace Hardware.

They can link to the car and program the chipped keys. While you are there, there may be a Glock 48 in the display case waiting for you. Wink

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
I will share what I have learned based on my chipped 2015 Nissan Titan. Based on my hunt for new keys, and based on a non-push button system:
1. Ace can't program a OEM key, they can only program their keys. Yes, it is cheaper than dealer. I believe they clone, they don't actually program. It might not work.

2. If you want OEM, there are places to get the keys cheaper than the dealer (I will try to dig up the receipt for who, it was in Phoenix as I recall). Then you still need it cut and programmed.

3. I have called locksmiths, many can't and those that do end up same as or higher than the dealer when roll out fee is added.

4. The dealer is attempting to charge an hour or more for something that should take less than 30 minutes.

So, why is the locksmith high? The software and tool to program is 2000-2500 $$. They are trying to recover and profit.

Why is the dealer high? Seriously, you ask that question? Wink

Why is Ace cheaper? Locked in to their key and they clone don't program. This means you must have a good key and it also means it could interfere with a working OEM key.

Anothe thing to know (at least for Nissan users) is that up to 5 keys can be programmed to the vehicle. If you go in with 1 key, your old keys will no longer work. They wipe the system and program in new. Take ALL your keys with you.

There are some keys that will work different models. For example, the key with door lock/unlock for the Rogue can be programmed to the Titan.

As for fobs, find a source then hunt YouTube for programming. Again, in the Titan arena, it is possible to mate a fob to a key. This is nice when you want two different seat/pedal settings. The mated fob can also be mated to the seat/pedal settings. Unlock with fob 1, get setting 1. Unlock with fob 2, get setting 2.

Hope it helps, and again, this is bases on my experience with a 2015 Nissan Titan, all, none, or some of it might apply to your situation. Best of luck.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
It’s been a couple of years since I’ve had to deal with this but from a car dealers viewpoint.

Some keys from “da bay” would not grind to mechanically turn the lock or program. Knockoff key blades would cut real ragged especially with the “switchblade” keys. The chrome plating over the brass would cut and leave jagged edges. Some blades were dimensionally incorrect, they would not fit into the cylinder slot, too long or too short also.

Programming, whole different issue. Why? Wrong transponder maybe, a lot of those keys looked alike. IF it was an OEM you could start crossing part numbers but again you were cutting it and not charging for that as a courtesy to that person so how much time are you going to spend on that for free? Sorry to come off sounding cold but a simple trace on a old style fixed blade took probably ten minutes start to finish on a key cutter that cost about 5-7k, the flip blade one cost us 12k and the cutter on the one that was basically a computerized mini CNC machine was prone to wear and damage. There was a sensor pin that read the original key using a electrostatic charge, look at it the wrong way and it would bend rendering it useless. Time to buy a new pin. The mill blade lasted about 200 cuts, then it was time to trash it and replace. 200 sounds like a lot, we did probablr 40-50 a week, large high volume dealership.

We would not charge our customers to cut a outside key but we did require to understand that if for any reason it did not work we were not responsible nor would we give them a new OEM key to replace it if for any reason it did not turn in the mechanical cylinder. Obviously we could not tell visually whether or not the security transponder or any of the buttons would work either so that was on them too.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Use these guys and get your key cut and the fob programmed by a local locksmith.

https://replacemyremote.com/

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
...but from a car dealers viewpoint.

I understand what you are saying. It is unfortunate that in some ways some things almost price themselves out of being worth replacement to the end user.

All the dealers in my area want $120 or more just to program.

Some have high per key cut fees ($8~$12 per) on top of that. They are using a system similar to the cartridge systems you see at Home Depot or Lowes so that the person cutting the key simply has to find a hole the key fits in.

They all act annoyed that I have found an OEM replacement from a different source. I guess that's because to me $8/key made more sense than spending $24/key. Shame on me for saving money. Roll Eyes

I have found a dealer that will do it for $86, but that is in Madisonville, KY, so until I go to visit the wife's family, I will go without a spare.

I hope the OP finds resolve.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope the OP finds resolve.

Thanks. I appreciate all the advice.

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
ffips,

Unfortunately some of the push button proximity transmitters must be programmed through a direct link to the manufacturer. And it is a one time program for some of them, once they are married to the car that is it. It takes time, average of an hour, sometimes more.

We did charge to cut the switchblade keys if they did not buy them from us, the frequency of the cutter blade replacement and the “reader pin” due to wear and or damage adds up quickly.

The switchblade keys at least to 2017 in GM cars can be owner programmed as well as the PK3 and the circle plus fixed keys, as long as they have at least one existing key in about thirty seconds,if all keys are lost it takes a half hour to relearn the car to accept the new keys.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post