SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Meet the ‘Never Trump’ Republicans Trying to Force a DACA Amnesty for Illegal Aliens
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Meet the ‘Never Trump’ Republicans Trying to Force a DACA Amnesty for Illegal Aliens Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted
The List: Meet the ‘Never Trump’ Republicans Trying to Force a DACA Amnesty for Illegal Aliens
collageGetty Images
16 May 20185,327
Republican lawmakers from the failed “Never Trump” movement are spearheading the effort to force a vote in the House to give amnesty to millions of illegal aliens.
Thus far, a group of more than 15 Republicans has signed onto what is known as a “discharge petition” to force a vote to bring an expansive amnesty plan for illegal aliens enrolled and eligible on the President Obama-created Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program to the House floor.

The group is largely made up of Republican lawmakers who were key figures in the effort to oppose President Trump and his “America First” agenda during the 2016 presidential election.

Rep. Carlos Curbelo (R-FL) is the leader of the discharge petition. Curbelo, in Oct. 2016, announced that he would not be supporting Trump during the presidential election. “I’m not supporting any of the two major candidates,” Curbelo told McClatchy at the time. “I’m as disappointed with this election as most Americans are.”

Curbelo opposed Trump so much during the election that he refused to attend the Republican National Convention.

Rep. Mia Love (R-UT), who supported Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) during the 2016 presidential election, has also signed onto the discharge petition. Love told the Salt Lake Tribune in October 2016 that she would not be voting for Trump for president. “His behavior and bravado have reached a new low,” Love said at the time. “I cannot vote for him.”

Rep. Mike Coffman (R-CO), who has signed the discharge petition, opposed Trump so much in the 2016 election that he ran ad campaigns against him. “I’m a Marine – for me, country comes first. My duty is always to you. So if Donald Trump is the president, I’ll stand up to him. Plain and simple,” Coffman said in his 2016 ad.

Rep. Will Hurd (R-TX), also a signer of the discharge petition, announced during the 2016 election that he could not “in good conscience support or vote for” Trump. Hurd took his opposition a step further and asked him to drop out of the presidential race in order for another Republican to step in.

Rep. Fred Upton (R-MI), an influential Congressman, signed the discharge petition as well. Upton refused to endorse Trump during the 2016 presidential election, saying he was “gonna stay in my lane”:

“There is a lot of things that folks are not happy about with either of these two candidates,” Upton said at the time. “We’re running our own race. Don’t look for me to endorse anyone in this race probably the rest of the year.”

A fellow signer of the discharge petition is Rep. Charlie Dent (R-PA), who slammed Trump during the 2016 presidential election and said his various comments on the campaign trail were “too much.” Dent is retiring from Congress and even partially blamed Trump for his departure.

“Mr. Trump’s incendiary comments fly in the face of our constitutional right to religious freedom,” Dent said in 2015 of Trump’s travel ban. “Someone who is running for president should be working to find ways to unite Americans.”

Another discharge petition signer, Rep. Ryan Costello (R-PA), did support Trump against Hillary Clinton in the 2016 presidential election but backed off that support in the months leading up to the election.

Costello came out against Trump’s travel ban in 2015 and dropped out as a delegate for the Republican National Convention (RNC) in 2016.

Rep. David Valadao (R-CA), also a signer of the discharge petition, dropped his endorsement of Trump in 2016, saying, “I am disappointed with the divisive rhetoric coming from this Presidential Election and cannot support either candidate.”

The other signers of the discharge petition include:

Rep. Jeff Denham (R-CA)
Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart (R-FL)
Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL)
Rep. David Reichert (R-WA)
Rep. Chris Collins (R-NY)
Rep. John Faso (R-NY)
Rep. Mark Amodei (R-NV)
Rep. Elise Stefanik (R-NY)
Rep. Leonard Lance (R-NJ)
Rep. Stephen Knight (R-CA)
Rep. Diana DeGette (R-CO)
Rep. John Katko (R-NY)
Rep. Dave Trott (R-MI)
Months of polling has revealed that a no-strings amnesty for illegal aliens is unpopular with GOP voters. GOP voters and swing voters have consistently told pollsters by huge majorities that they want to see legal immigration levels decreased to raise wages for America’s working and middle class.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...tm_campaign=20180517

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Trott, eh? Well, now I'm sorry I voted for his sorry ass. If he were running again I'd actively campaign against him.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
So its clear. At least a subset of the Repub members of the House are actively trying to give the majority position back to the Dem's. Cowardice and stupidity reigns supreme with many in the GOP (or are they actually a part of the DNC?).

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Diana DeGette of Colorado is not a Republican. She's a dem who's politics are to the left of Mao.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I get bombed with the RNC "Polls"
I write back "You people do what you want anyway, your better off asking registered Democrats, why should I waste my time..."

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Look at where most of them are from. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

I saw that too.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Ordered by supporters, then by state

NY 4
CA 3
FL 3
CO 2
MI 2
PA 2
NJ 1
NV 1
TX 1
UT 1
WA 1

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ch23701
posted Hide Post
Fred Upton my congressman is a total puke. I can't think of one bit of useful legislation he has ever introduced, but they just keep voting him in.

Posts: 255 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: September 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To see mia love in this is surprising.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Charlie Dent is a RINO puke.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
I have liked Dave Trott for the most part, up until now.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

Posts: 1673 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Troll
posted Hide Post
President Trump won't play their game and it's driving them bonkers.

He doesn't need to feed at the taxpayer trough and that scares the be-jejus out of them.

Nope, he's not a club member they can shove around.

I love it!

Posts: 261 | Registered: May 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
Rep. Mike Coffman (R-CO), who has signed the discharge petition, opposed Trump so much in the 2016 election that he ran ad campaigns against him. “I’m a Marine – for me, country comes first. My duty is always to you. So if Donald Trump is the president, I’ll stand up to him. Plain and simple,” Coffman said in his 2016 ad.

Coffman isn't from my district, but I had no idea he was such a douche bag. Eff him, he's dead to me.

Yeah, and Dianna DeGette is a left wing Dem.

Posts: 5733 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
Jeff Dumbham is my congress critter. We are going to primary his ass.

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
Must be some pretty good paydays from the pro-Illegal lobby. They need to be told that they won't be able to continue cashing in on their office if they aren't returned.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New York Republicans are the biggest Biatches in the RINO world. There is NO hope that Republicans from Commie states like,NY, NJ, CA, and CT would do anything that resembles a conservative view.

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post