SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone else own an r pod?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else own an r pod? Login/Join 
easy money
posted
Hello!

My gf bought an r pod 190 yesterday. It’s a small bumper pull camper. It will give us opportunities for camping here in Wyoming - as a couple and with grandchildren. So much to learn about RVs! Looking to add a generator and solar panels, as most of our camping will be in areas with no services.

Anyone else own one? Or own a camp trailer? Any tips or modifications would be welcome!

Thank you,

Jim

That which doesn't kill you only makes you stronger

Posts: 576 | Location: United States | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I'm considering getting a small camper. How about some pics and a quick initial
review?

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
I'm considering getting a small camper. How about some pics and a quick initial
review?
Found these on line: https://www.google.com/search?...Rfc2WydbCZYdM:&vet=1.
Floor plans here: https://www.google.com/search?...mgrc=M0doxG4MRUJxzM:.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
I would be more than happy to assist with RV type questions. I have full timed in the past in a 36' fifth wheel and a 19' bumper pull (more similar to your R Pod).

Most of the RV world is common sense. You will start to monitor your water usage as it impacts dumping of the tanks.

Speaking of tanks, if set up on a site with on site sewage, hold the black tank and flow the grey tank until about a day before you need to dump black. Capture enough grey to rinse the hose, but understand, it isn't making the hose sanitary. I use the scott RV paper sold in the RV section at Wal Mart, just toss in a pack every other time you head to the store to build up some supplies. I also use the camp chem blue tank juice. I have gone with TST in the past and it does well until the temps get high. The blue stuff works hot or cold and in smaller quantities. Buy a 6 pack of the bottles, then refill them with the 64 oz larger jug.

As for security, if you store it on a lot, leave nothing in it that you can't afford to lose. Most locks are nothing more than cabinet/drawer locks and even then, it's just some fiberglass and styrofoam holding that in place. If you don't know, often "storage" keys are the CH751 (aka the truck tool box keys, or the key everyone has on their ring). A small piece of mind can be had by simply swapping out those locks.

Good luck, and safe ventures! Smile

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Make sure you have the tools neccasary for changing a flat tire on the trailer. On our previous travel trailer, the lugs holding the spare on the spare carrier were a different size than the lugs holding the wheels on the axle. Have a plug kit and compressor as well. Check the speed rating on the retailer's tires. Many are rated for 65mph.

Keep the trailer brakes properly adjusted even if they are the self-adjusting kind.

Regular Scotts TP from wherever works fine. No need for special RV TP. Get a poop wagon bigger than your black water tank. Poop wagons allow you to empty your tanks without having to break camp and take your trailer to the dump station. Barker is the best.

Keep an eye on anything that keeps water out. The sealants on the roof especially as they only last a few years.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Your on a slippery slope. Might as well buy the 1 ton dully now to tow the 44 foot toy hauler. Smile

With RV’s the price of peace is eternal vigilance. Keep an eye out for things and setup periodic inspections and maintenance. Most of all have fun and enjoy.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
We have a 2015 R-Pod 179.

Modifications:

1. Shelf above bed.
2. Max Air vent cover over bathroom fan.
3. Dual Propane Tanks.
4. Battery box with dual Rolls Surrette 6v 290ah batteries behind propane tanks.
5. Upgrade or reinforce dump tube brackets, they will break.
6. Electric tongue jack if it didn't come with it.

Future modification I plan on:
1. Upgrade axle from torsion to spring over.
2. Cover bottom with corrugated plastic. Currently ours is open bottom, not sure about the 190.
3. Tint windows to get better heat block.
4. Replace all 3 scissor jacks with more heavy duty versions (already replaced one that bent).
5. 2x 12v fans in fridge vent area on outside to help with circulation when using fridge on propane.

We also have a 2017 Highland Ridge 3x427BHS, 42' fifth wheel that we live in full time. Been doing this 3 years now. We actually lived in the R-Pod for 2.5 months while the fiver was getting warranty work done.

A good source of R-Pod info and mods if the R-Pod facebook group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/RPodOwners/

Posts: 2027 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
easy money
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for the replies!

We will take it out over Labor Day weekend. I could post an update then!

Jim

That which doesn't kill you only makes you stronger

Posts: 576 | Location: United States | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim1970:
Thank you everyone for the replies!

We will take it out over Labor Day weekend. I could post an update then!

Jim

Looking forward to that update. Have fun in your new RV!

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You'll Shoot Your Eye Out!
Picture of MaThGr82
posted Hide Post
Not specific to an RPod but I've got a trailer that I leave this solar trickle charger on the battery all the time and when we get where we're going, I leave it on there during the day. It's helped significantly reduce battery problems I'd had with a pop-up trailer for years.

Goal Zero 10 watt Maintainer.

I'd also suggest buying this accessory so you don't have to attach and detach every time you move the trailer. This allows me to quickly disconnect the panel when in transit.

Quick Disconnect

Posts: 6302 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Good point about the battery and keeping it charged.

My 5th wheel has a battery switch, but when switched off, some things are still connected. The trailer brakes and break away switch for example. Something else is still connected that drains the battery in two months if left sitting, so I disconnect the battery. One of these days, I'll rewire the switch.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post