SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I have a specific internet streaming device question, maybe Roku
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have a specific internet streaming device question, maybe Roku Login/Join 
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted
I’ve read through a few threads on cutting the cord and we recently cut the $270+ per month cord. We subscribed to Sling, HBO Max, and have a Disney Plus account. My question is does Roku have a streaming device that will stream those channels we already have accounts with? Is there a particular model I need to get those three channel in one place? I have two TVs that are not smart TVs but have HDMI and USB ports so I need a device that will allow streaming of three channels for two TVs. Also, aside from buying the devices (and cables) is there a monthly charge for Roku on top of the channels I’m already paying for? Thanks in advance.

If Roku isn’t what will do what I need, is there another?

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Any Roku model will accommodate those three streaming services. They all have access to the same channels/apps, it's just their other features that vary. For example, the fancier Roku models support 4K/HDR, but the cheapest ones don't. And some of the fancier Roku models have a nicer remote with voice recognition.

If your two "dumb TVs" don't support 4k, then just get the cheapest model, the Roku Express, which maxes out at 1080P HD. I'm going to assume the two "dumb TVs" don't support 4K, because Smart TVs were a thing even before there was 4K, so if they're not Smart TVs then they almost certainly predate 4K.

A Roku is just a device on which you download apps. Similar to your tablet or cell phone, if you want to think of it that way, just using the TV as the screen rather than having a screen built in.

So just like you can install the Sling, HBO, and Disney+ apps on your phone, log into your account of each of those apps, and then watch them on the phone, you do the same with a Roku.

No monthly charge just for using Rokus.

Buy whichever Roku device has the features you want. (Probably the Express, as mentioned above.) Plug it into your "dumb" TV and connect it to power (either using a USB port or a power outlet). Run it through the setup process. Install whatever apps you want, like Sling, HBO, and Disney. Sign in to your Sling, HBO, and Disney+ accounts in each of the corresponding apps. Then get to watching.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
Who is your internet carrier?
If its comcast/xfinity there is a free 4k streaming box. All the apps are preloaded and it has a voice remote. If you want more than 1 its a $5/mo rental.
Sigguy(the 1st)

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Each Roku or whatever will only stream to one TV; They are physically connected to the TV. You will need to buy 2. There is no monthly fee for Roku. You have to set up a Roku account on your tablet/phone. You do not have to give them a credit card, but it makes it much easier if you want another streaming channel.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Plus you can pick up a very inexpensive Smart TV with Roku built-in in 4K. I’m watching Hickock45 on YouTube on my back patio on a Hisense 55” 4K TV as I write this. Picture is great and it’s inexpensive enough that I have no problem having it mounted on the wall under my patio cover. The picture is right up there with my Samsung TVs.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Any Roku model will accommodate those three streaming services. They all have access to the same channels/apps, it's just their other features that vary. For example, the fancier Roku models support 4K/HDR, but the cheapest ones don't. And some of the fancier Roku models have a nicer remote with voice recognition.

If your two "dumb TVs" don't support 4k, then just get the cheapest model, the Roku Express, which maxes out at 1080P HD. I'm going to assume the two "dumb TVs" don't support 4K, because Smart TVs were a thing even before there was 4K, so if they're not Smart TVs then they almost certainly predate 4K.

A Roku is just a device on which you download apps. Similar to your tablet or cell phone, if you want to think of it that way, just using the TV as the screen rather than having a screen built in.

So just like you can install the Sling, HBO, and Disney+ apps on your phone, log into your account of each of those apps, and then watch them on the phone, you do the same with a Roku.

No monthly charge just for using Rokus.

Buy whichever Roku device has the features you want. (Probably the Express, as mentioned above.) Plug it into your "dumb" TV and connect it to power (either using a USB port or a power outlet). Run it through the setup process. Install whatever apps you want, like Sling, HBO, and Disney. Sign in to your Sling, HBO, and Disney+ accounts in each of the corresponding apps. Then get to watching.

Thanks for such a well explained response. These were exactly what I needed to know!

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGGUY (THE 1ST):
Who is your internet carrier?
If its comcast/xfinity there is a free 4k streaming box. All the apps are preloaded and it has a voice remote. If you want more than 1 its a $5/mo rental.
Sigguy(the 1st)

I’d do actually have Comcast. Thanks for that info. I’m returning all their boxes except for the cable modem. For some reason, I can’t let myself pay monthly for one more device from them. They’ve been scalping us for nearly $300 a month for a mid level Boost internet plan, HD tv with no premium channels, a DVR box, and a small non dvr box in my daughters room. That’s a lot of cash for us. Don’t think I’d respect myself in the morning if I turned around and started renting a box from them again, lol. But thank you for the info. Probably would have jumped had I not “had it” with Comcast.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
If your TV’s have HDMI ports then all you need to do is buy a Roku Streaming Stick and plug it in and set it up. You can add the Sling, HBO Max and Disney+ channels right from the Roku Streaming Channels menu, plus many more that are free. Do you have Amazon Prime? You could also add the Prime Video channel, they have a lot of interesting Amazon original shows and movies plus regular TV series and movies.

No charge for the Roku other than the initial purchase, all you pay is your internet service provider fees and your subscription fees for Sling, etc.

This is what I’d recommend:

Roku Streaming Stick+

You will need one for each TV

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Some of the Roku models have remotes that have an earphone jack. I find that to be a nice little feature.

Posts: 1341 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
A word of caution with any streaming device (including Roku).

They all have "agreements" the the media companies to carry/support the apps.

Sometimes these "agreements" will expire and the streaming device will no longer work with the app (or vice versa).

Case in point, when HBOMax rolled out, the app was not available on Roku, even though the older HBO Go app was. Roku and HBO took a few months before reaching a deal, and they now support the newer app.
Meanwhile, I stream my Spectrum cable through Roku apps (was actually a selling point from Spectrum to avoid a cable box rental fee). Now there is a pop-up when starting the app that it is no longer supported, and if you delete the app, or buy a new device, you cannot download the app from Roku's "store".

This is not just Roku, this happens to Chromecast, Apple TV, Roku, native Smart TV companies... so while I'm not trying to scare you off from them, I do want to make sure you are aware of the possibilities of this in the future.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I have had a Roku, Firestick, Chromecast and an Apple TV. For my money I'll stick to the Apple TV 4K. I love the fact that I can shoot videos from my iphone or ipad to play on my TV. We travel with it and use it at other locations. It's been bulletproof.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
I have had a Roku, Firestick, Chromecast and an Apple TV. For my money I'll stick to the Apple TV 4K.

Same here, except I've tried Android TV, as well, and have a couple Fire TVs that aren't sticks.

The Apple TV, while certainly the most expensive, has been far-and-away the best experience. I'm one-by-one replacing all our streaming devices with them.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Apple TV, "IF" you are an Apple ecosystem home. But man, the remote sucks donkey balls. The remote is the only Apple product I have ever owned that I did not like.

Looks really cool but,

it is so thin and small that you can hardly hold it without touching the track pad
it is divided exactly in half with half of it a touch pad but both halves are black and you can't tell how you are holding it in a dark theater room.
it only has about 4 buttons not counting vol, so everything is done with onscreen menus and multiple button pushes "UNLESS" you get proficient using Siri.
it is so thin that it loves to find its way deep into furniture cushions

Posts: 1994 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I've used Apple TVs and Rokus, and there are some things I like about each of them, but I use a Roku for myself.

But then I'm not in the Apple ecosystem with anything else, either.

Posts: 3657 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter01:
The remote is the only Apple product I have ever owned that I did not like.

You must have never used iTunes. Worst product ever, Apple or otherwise.

1 comment, we have a Roku box, probably a cheaper model. Ours does not have a port for an Ethernet cable. We are using only over wifi. I was going to run a cable from my router, but noticed I do not have a place to plug the cable into on the Roku box.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
1 comment, we have a Roku box, probably a cheaper model. Ours does not have a port for an Ethernet cable. We are using only over wifi. I was going to run a cable from my router, but noticed I do not have a place to plug the cable into on the Roku box.

Some Roku models (Ultra for one) have ethernet capabilities, but most are wi-fi only.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Not necessarily Roku related, but streaming related.

A while back I went to the Comcast/Xfinity site where they list compatible cable modems in lieu of using their provided cable model/router/wifi gateway. Found a Motorola model on the list and bought it online. I'd been paying $14/month for a couple years simply because I was too lazy to replace it. I spent a solid hour on the phone with their support folks to get it provisioned, but no more rental fees for a wifi router I already had my own router downstream from... Not sure what you're using but you can find DOCSIS 3.1 modems in the ~$140 range that will pay for themselves in less than a year as it knocks that rental fee off your bill.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post