SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Table Saw Recommendations
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Table Saw Recommendations Login/Join 
posted
I'm in the market for a new table saw. A piece in the height adjustment on my old Craftsman broke and they no longer make it.

In my price range ($500-$800) it appears the two top contenders are Delta or Rigid. Does anyone have experience with either of these, or know of another brand I may have overlooked.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jandersd
posted Hide Post
Grizzly is another possibility - all depending on your particular needs.

https://www.grizzly.com/search...ce:%5b*+TO+749.99%5d)

---
Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Posts: 1122 | Location: Cartersville, GA | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Imo, unless you are a contractor, heavier is better than lighter and belt drive is better than direct drive.

I use a 1946 Craftsman and it is far superior to the direct drive saw it replaced. I'd check local ads for an old one.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12744 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of was0311
posted Hide Post
I have a rigid. It is okay. Wouldn't recommend it beyond rough carpentry.

Posts: 2654 | Location: Eastern NE | Registered: July 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The standard to measure by is the Delta Unisaw. You can find them used in your price range. They come in 1 1/2 hp and 3 hp. The 3 will need a 220 single phase line (like an electric dryer). 3 is better than 1 1/2.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I bought a Bosch table saw about 7 years ago. Portable unit with two wheels and a 10" blade. It was around $600 at the time. It has served me very well with intermittent heavy use.

Posts: 1768 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I bought one of these last fall. I can't say enough good things about it. Dust collection is amazing. I never imagined using a table saw in my basement without making a huge mess. The stand is well worth it too. Very easy to use and even get up and down stairs.

The features were beyond most saws. My only wish was if they made a spot for blade storage.

https://www.dewalt.com/product...ling-stand/dwe7491rs

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I had a 3 hp rockwell unisaw in my cabinet shop for 15 years of daily use and never changed a belt, also Powermatic 66 green line are excellent saws. I now have a cnc altendorf but it cost 32K little more then your budget.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I have a 1940s Delta Unisaw with a Biesemeyer fence running on 220, and it is an absolute tank. I love it.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Grizzly table saw once, a POS. Everything got sloppy REAL QUICK. Unisaw is excellent, but I would buy used for your budget.

Powermatic saws used to be good, but are now made in China. Sooo tired of Chinese stuff everywhere, manufacturers selling out their loyal workers to save a few bucks.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
The standard to measure by is the Delta Unisaw. You can find them used in your price range. They come in 1 1/2 hp and 3 hp. The 3 will need a 220 single phase line (like an electric dryer). 3 is better than 1 1/2.
Yep, if you can find a well maintained older version, it would likely suit your needs well. I have a JET saw, but unless you found a used one, it would be outside your price range.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watch it on the power of the motor. The very strong saws can throw a 4x8 piece of plywood across the shop if you are not careful. I would go for 2 hp, personally.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
I was able to find a really nice used Delta.

If I have the option to replace it someday then a https://www.sawstop.com/ would my choice. I've seen them demonstrated by the sales rep. They are the safest on the market bar none.

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SOTAR:
If I have the option to replace it someday then a https://www.sawstop.com/ would my choice. I've seen them demonstrated by the sales rep. They are the safest on the market bar none.
Sawstop is a great product. That said, 'if' you get a finger in the blade, the cost to return that saw to duty again is going to be expensive. Sawstop or not, your best protection from injury is strictly adhering to best practices when using the saw.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
You could not give me a saw with the "saw stop" safety installed and as someone stated it is Not cheap to re-activate the saw to working status. the best safety option is the "operator headspace". To many people would use it as a excuse to do unsafe practices. Over 35 yrs as a cabinet maker and used all sizes from the small portable table top size to large sliding top saws capable of 4x8 plywood sheets one handed control. ..................... drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
The standard to measure by is the Delta Unisaw.

Back when they were still made, you would have had about an equal split of opinion over the Unisaw and the Powermatic 72. I always used a Unisaw, with a 3 phase motor (in a commercial millwork shop). We had 3 of them, and I used them daily, along with Powermatic jointers and shapers, my 3 most used stationary machines.

I don't know what Powermatic is producing these days in table saws, but if you are looking at Unisaws, you might also give Powermatic a peek.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are talking the saw to a jobisite, I would go with the Dewalt.

The yellow ones are seem by a large margin on the jobsites I have been around.

At a stationary shop one of the older heavier table saws would be best.

Cabitnet shops are not my expertise so I would ask cabinet shops what they are using.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
You could not give me a saw with the "saw stop" safety installed and as someone stated it is Not cheap to re-activate the saw to working status. the best safety option is the "operator headspace". To many people would use it as a excuse to do unsafe practices. Over 35 yrs as a cabinet maker and used all sizes from the small portable table top size to large sliding top saws capable of 4x8 plywood sheets one handed control. ..................... drill sgt.

How are these two mutually exclusive?

The way I see it, it's cheaper than reattaching a finger.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Buy an older used saw that has good aftermarket parts available.
Any of the new ones will be Chicom crap or at least full of Chicom parts to meet that price point.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I bought a Sawstop cabinet saw because it's a great saw, the safety feature was just a bonus. If it ever activates the cost of a blade and a new brake are nothing to the value I place on my fingers.

If you want to stretch the budget the Sawstop portable is said to be a good saw and the Dewalt has been regarded as a good saw.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post