SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trump Effect? My Health Ins Premium 22% LOWER In 2019!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trump Effect? My Health Ins Premium 22% LOWER In 2019! Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I’m shocked actually. Been with this company I work for 15 years now, and Annual Enrollment is always in October and every year without fail, my health insurance premium, paid weekly, has gone up. In the beginning it was reasonable but during the Obama years it was absolutely skyrocketing.

I log in today to compare the cost for the plan I have now and planned to stick with for 2019, and find out the cost will be 22 PERCENT LOWER for me for the exact same coverage!

This has got to be a Trump effect for sure, I’ve never seen my costs decrease from the current year into the next!

#MAGA

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
KAG!

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I'll give Trump all the credit I can, but you may want to look at the fine print...

Are the deductibles/copays/out of pocket the same as current?

Did the insured pool have less $$$ in claims over the last couple of years, and a resulting surplus?

Some bean counter is telling your company what the rates should be, based on lots of things. Having been involved in...begging...my city to provide better rates for comparable plans for the last couple of years, I'm sure your company didn't do it out of the kindness of their hearts.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
We get our coverage from my wife’s employer.
We got the letter saying hey your premiums are staying the same as last year. Still waiting to see how they are jacking up deductibles, copays, and cutting coverage.
Also I am betting the still won’t be offering a HSA.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I'll give Trump all the credit I can, but you may want to look at the fine print...

Same exact plan.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Did the insured pool have less $$$ in claims over the last couple of years, and a resulting surplus?

Some bean counter is telling your company what the rates should be, based on lots of things. Having been involved in...begging...my city to provide better rates for comparable plans for the last couple of years, I'm sure your company didn't do it out of the kindness of their hearts.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
These are good points to consider. It is possible claims experience resulted in a lower rate. One way Health Insurance companies save money is by restricting the doctors in your network. At one time, a local HMO would have only one primary care doctor taking new patients and his office was a hundred miles away. The latest is VALUE networks. Cost less but need approval for every procedure and a very limited choice of physician.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and sometimes good news is really good news. Great for you, man.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We were told just the opposite by my company.

Our HR sent us an email last week saying expect a rate increase as we as a pool used too much insurance last year Roll Eyes

Nevermind the fact that they won't shop around because the company they use is owned by a relative of the HR person... Nepotism at its finest.

Fortunately for me my wife's company offers a better HSA plan we use, and I only use my company's dependent care flex.

Did I mention my wife's company is smaller yet manages to offer more and better plans because they shop around.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
We need to open up access to HSAs just like IRAs; obviously it's not for everyone but would help with reducing medical costs - paying for it using your HSA = looking for a better deal & no insurance involved, money is yours, leftover money rolls over every year, part of your HSA can be invested in Mutual Funds.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
The Trump effect missed us. Frown I found out Monday that our rates are increasing by 8% and some co-pays are increasing.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post