SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jaw surgery scheduled.. finally! Updated...hopefully the last.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jaw surgery scheduled.. finally! Updated...hopefully the last. Login/Join 
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted
I don’t know if anybody remembers, but back right before Christmas I dislocated my jaw. It had been happening for years, but would seem to always pop back in to place. Well the last time it didn’t. MRI showed a dislocated and disintegrated “disc” and scar tissue in the area where the disc is supposed to be.

Ok, 6 MONTHS later, insurance finally decided all other options have been exhausted and surgery is needed. (Florida Blue sux).

I’m going to Birmingham June 20 to have orthoscopic disc replacement and scar tissue removal. FINALLY!!

I’m a happy camper...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: smithnsig,

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Hope all goes well, what is the recovery time on a procedure like that?

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Glad you're gonna get fixed up. Health insurance companies suck.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Good luck with the procedure. My wife has severe TMJ to where the condyles in her jaw joint deteriorated. It was so bad the bone wore a hole in her tendon.

A couple years back she had a fat graft procedure where they injected spun fat into the joint to act as a buffer between the condyle and socket. She was banded shut for a solid week and then periodic movement for progressively through the next month. So far its worked for her.

Jaw issues suck and I hope this works for you.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Boy, six months of dealing with that, wow. Hope they get you fixed up better than new.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
Hope all goes well, what is the recovery time on a procedure like that?

3-7 days. Soft food for another week after that. If everything goes well that is.

If it was open surgery, I would probably have to be wired shut for a bit.

TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Holy Smokes this has been a long time waiting!

Hope it works out for you. Godspeed on the recovery!

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to you and speedy recovery!

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Best of luck. 6 months of dealing with that can be unsettling, I imagine.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Surgery complete! Could not do ortho, had to open it up, but didn’t have to wire it shut thankfully. The bone was in good shape and this is also great news.

He ended up cleaning out a bunch of scar tissue, this had been happening for a while.

The procedure is called a TMJ reconstruction. The disc or pad that mandible rides on had dislocated, and would not relocate. After a while it basically disintegrated. The scar tissue build up was impeding the mandible so it would not allow it to open past about 20%. He reconstructed a pad (I don’t even know if it’s prosthetic or tissue) and attached it to the ligament. Hopefully this will allow a more complete recovery. The bone being undamaged was a real blessing.

On the negative, the open procedure doubles or triples recovery time. Instead of a week, I’m looking at 2-3 weeks before solid food.

It is very painful. It’s probably the most post op pain I have had, even though the others were major surgeries.

On the positive, the open procedure is usually more thorough and has a significantly higher long term success rate.

I’m just glad it’s finally over.

TCB all the time...

Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Great to hear your surgery went well! Hang in there with the pain.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear everything seemed to go well. I hope you have a quick recovery!!

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
Glad the surgery went well. I hope your recovery is smooth and complication free.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post