SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The U.S. Govt just declassified 750 nuclear weapons test videos and put them on YouTube
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The U.S. Govt just declassified 750 nuclear weapons test videos and put them on YouTube Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted
In case you were bored and want to watch some cool nuclear explosions:

https://m.youtube.com/playlist...G166wKRy5z-GlJ_OQND5

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3...-test-movies-youtube

Between 1945 and 1962, the United States conducted over 200 nuclear tests up high in the atmosphere to learn about the power of nuclear weapons. The terrifying explosions were filmed from every possible angle and distance, and the movies — an estimated 10,000 of them — were then stored in high-security vaults scattered across the country.

Now, for the first time, about 4,200 of thee films have been scanned, and around 750 have been declassified by the US government. You can watch about 60 of them on YouTube. Some are in color, some in black and white, and all of them bear the whimsical names of top secret missions: Operation Hardtack, Operation Plumbbob, Operation Teapot.

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
The project is spearheaded by Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) weapon physicist Greg Spriggs, who’s hoping to save the films, reanalyze them, and squeeze every bit of data out of them. In fact, there’s still a lot we don’t know about the effects of high-altitude nuclear blasts, and right now they are prohibited by the Comprehensive Nuclear Test-Ban Treaty. By making the movies public and analyzing them, Spriggs hopes to help other nuclear weapon physicists learn more about nuclear explosions.

"We don't have any experimental data for modern weapons in the atmosphere,” Spriggs says in a video about the project. “The only data we have are the old tests, so it gets a little bit more complicated.”

Spriggs has so far reanalyzed about 400 to 500 films over the past five years. It’s key to digitize them because they’re made of old cellulose acetate, so they decompose over time. "You can smell vinegar when you open the cans,” he said in a statement. "We know that these films are on the brink of decomposing to the point where they'll become useless.”

Declassifying the films is a “huge bureaucratic undertaking,” writes Sarah Zhang in Wired. For each film, Spriggs has to fill out a form that then goes over to the Department of Energy for approval. The nuclear test operations are already known, so there’s no reason to keep the films secret, Spriggs tells Wired. It just takes a ton of time to declassify them. Thanks to Spriggs, and his time, we can now enjoy these explosive videos.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GGF
posted Hide Post
It's time to declassify them, it's been a long time.
I love to watch those explosions! Big Grin

GGF

Posts: 698 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Livermore....

It's nick name is the Rad Lab.

My child hood soccer club was the Atomics and my first team at 4yrs old was the Ions.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3458 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I just finished reading 'The Manhattan Project' by Cynthia Kelly

excellent book

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Video 54 and 64 are amazing. Stuff we have never seen before.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Cool.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
It's not in that lot, but one of my favorite detonation films is from a test where five officers and one photographer agreed to stand beneath a "small" (2 kiloton) blast at 18,500ft AGL. Gives you a perspective that the distantly-shot test films don't.

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Sweet! Something to watch when I get bored of watching 10mm effects. I for some reason love watching videos of atomic weapons testing. It's amazing we have learned to harness the power of the atom. I wish physics had continued the progress from then until now. We'd be traveling from London to Tokyo in seconds using Quantum Physics.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Sweet! Something to watch when I get bored of watching 10mm effects. I for some reason love watching videos of atomic weapons testing. .

Then you'll love watching the Birdman Nuke 50 demo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_XX2lIT1tQ

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by S600MBUSA:
It's not in that lot, but one of my favorite detonation films is from a test where five officers and one photographer agreed to stand beneath a "small" (2 kiloton) blast at 18,500ft AGL. Gives you a perspective that the distantly-shot test films don't.

1. I don't believe I would have done that.

2. I wish khaki trousers like those were still made.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the entertainment lead Wink

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Skeptic
Picture of Mike the Texan
posted Hide Post
What a cool project. I'm glad the physicists recognized the need to digitize the film assets before they were lost. And that nitrate film!

It's a little amazing that scientists can still learn things from looking at the previous records.

Posts: 220 | Location: Near a white sand beach. | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
What's the protocol for naming top secret missions?

Is there a reference list so you don't accidently re-use a top secret name and confuse everyone?

Because, seriously, I'd be hard pressed not to name every single mission Operation Thor's Hammer or Operation Zeus' Fury.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:
I grew up in Livermore....

It's nick name is the Rad Lab.

My child hood soccer club was the Atomics and my first team at 4yrs old was the Ions.

I was in Livermore in the late 60's, working on a computer at the Sandia Corp. site. In many drugstores of that era, you'd find a big stack of Playboy magazines at the side of the magazine rack (too many to fit on the rack). But the magazine rack in the Livermore drugstore had a big stack of Scientific Americans at its side. I chuckled.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

I was in Livermore in the late 60's, working on a computer at the Sandia Corp. site...

Slight thread drift: LLNL was originally a Naval Air Station.

http://www.airfields-freeman.c...anJose.htm#livermore

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by S600MBUSA:

I recall reading that all of these guys subsequently died of cancer.

Posts: 1313 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are already 70 some videos that have been previously declassified and put on youtube and other places. Go to youtube and search on the term "declassified u.s. nuclear test film #". They are numbered 01 to 72, I think. Some are short with no sound while others are an hour or more in length and are carefully and thoughtfully narrated. Some of these are training films intended to be shown to the personnel who handle and maintain nuclear weapons. Others are overview or summary films intended to brief command staff or civilian officials on the results of various test series. Amazing stuff.

Quite a bit of nuclear history can be gleaned from these videos as well as some surprising tidbits. The Castle Bravo test was supposed to be a 3 to 5 megaton explosion (about 300 times the explosive force of the Hiroshima bomb) but, due to an unknown reaction, the Castle Bravo explosion was about 13 to 23 megatons (1,000 times Hiroshima) and covered around 7,000 square miles of the Pacific with lethal fallout, threatening the crew that oversaw the test some 40 miles away as well as US and native populations on nearby islands. The commander of the task force that oversaw the Castle series of nuclear tests admitted in one now declassified video that the massive amounts of lethal fallout from the Castle Bravo test, "...suggested a tactical use for nuclear weapons that was heretofore unknown..." or words to that effect. They didn't realize until that point that radioactive fallout was itself a weapon effect that could be used against an enemy.

The speed with which the US government developed nuclear weapons is nothing less than staggering. Uranium fission was only discovered in December of 1938. Plutonium was unknown to science until 1942, but by 1945, plutonium was being produced on an industrial scale in reactors built for that purpose at Hanford, WA. From discovering fission to Hiroshima in less than 7 years! Today it can take decades to put a new ship into the water or a new aircraft into the air, and those things aren't exactly nuclear science!

Posts: 1313 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Holy crap, this bomb test is insane. Never seen one like it before Eek

https://youtu.be/uYbNlgQyz84

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am guessing this is a nice way for the government to make some money. Declassify videos. Create and open a youtube account / channel and post the videos there. millions of people watch and subscribe. Google pays them for the ad's. Government makes some $$$$. It would be of no surprise if we found out some way some how that this was Trump's idea. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3057 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post