SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hard Rock Hotel New Orleans collapse- 1 dead, 3 missing
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hard Rock Hotel New Orleans collapse- 1 dead, 3 missing Login/Join 
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Good lord, looks like they hired a genuine professional amature to implode those cranes.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good lord, looks like they hired a genuine professional amature to implode those cranes.

Almost looks as if they made a bad situation worse.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Larry and Curly were not available so they used Moe and Shep. Correct link I believe to Crane demo:

https://www.nola.com/multimedi...-af3d50571b94.html#1

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
"Controlled" implosion, huh? Huh.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Notary Sojac
Picture of festus haggen
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Larry and Curly were not available so they used Moe and Shep.

Nor were Larry, Darryl, and Darryl.

Golden lads and girls all must,
As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.

Posts: 368 | Location: Maryland | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
25% success is a good indicator on how the city is run

I often wish I wasn’t a Parish resident.

Though I’m very happy the surrounding buildings are unscathed

I live 25 miles away and the detonations could be heard at the house

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerBook
posted Hide Post
My wife and I were in New Orleans just a few blocks away a few days before.
I am sure glad things were not worse.

Posts: 1777 | Location: Ashburn, VA USA | Registered: June 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
I've never seen that much flame generated by a demolition cut in any of the videos and documentaries I've ever seen. Perhaps it was just because it was exposed to open air as it was, but it reminded me of the special effects techniques of adding bags of gasoline to make a detonation look more impressive for film.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
How in the world does something like this happen, with modern construction techniques and 50,000 different regulations? In some third world country, I wouldn't be surprised in the least to hear of something like this, but in the US? I don't get it.

That's the first thing I though of as well. This is the kind of shit you see in China or India when an entire building tips over like a domino.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what really caused the delay?

the developer missed the $5 mil payment due last Friday.

https://www.wwltv.com/article/...40-997b-a8a8ae0d8f9e

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
biggest thing we noticed (I'm a hotel architect and our firm took a little time to watch the video and discuss last week) was the structural system used on the top floors looks different than just about anything we typically see. long spans and no beams or joists so the composite slab is doing all of the spanning.

as Gator pointed out, it's a cast in place concrete podium up to about the 5th or 6th floor, which largely remains intact after the collapse. typically you build a podium of a certain height and then you switch to a cheaper structural system above. (you can't build a 10 story type II building but you can build a 5 story type I podium and then a 5 story type II building on top.) mostly, we build hotels as type IIA construction unless it needs to be over 12 stories or very large and then we switch to IA. anyways, switching to a different structural system is pretty much always a cost savings effort. the steel up top is probably just elevator override stuff, nothing that would fail and cause the building to come down.

all of that said, it is very difficult to know what could have happened without seeing the design. it does seem likely that they prematurely loaded the slabs. in some previous photos you can see large stacks of steel, stacks of cmu, scissors lifts which are 3000-5000 lbs, etc. could be they removed shoring too quickly. maybe got a bad batch of concrete. it is typical now to use 5000psi concrete when all you actually need is 3000psi so that it gets to design strength in 2 or 3 days. could also have been a load-bearing stud system that wasn't in place but that would typically be built before the floor above was poured.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'm tellin ya, folks, this whole deal is bad juju, a karmic vortex. I would not step foot in that place, ever.

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I'm tellin ya, folks, this whole deal is bad juju, a karmic vortex. I would not step foot in that place, ever.

I believe it was probably possible (structurally) to salvage the podium, but the implosion of the cranes signals that they will be tearing it down to the ground. They probably decided it would be a nightmare to try to get any contractor to take on the liability of resuming construction. Not to mention the bad press that it will always have attached.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
the developer missed the $5 mil payment due last Friday.

Seems pretty excessive for what they did.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
So what is the the plan with the one crane boom dangling over the side of building? The city and the media don't seem to be saying much about that situation. I don't see how that can be safe.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I still can't figure out whey they didn't just take them down the same way they go up. They could have used a truck crane from the sides of the building to take them apart piece by piece and set them down nicely.

One of them was listing a bit, so it may have been a bit more tricky.

www.zykansafe.com

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
They gotta find this gal and get her to remove the hex from that place.

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
I still can't figure out whey they didn't just take them down the same way they go up. They could have used a truck crane from the sides of the building to take them apart piece by piece and set them down nicely.

One of them was listing a bit, so it may have been a bit more tricky.

Funny. I just showed my 14 year old son the video and after watching it his exact comment was 'Why didn't they just disassemble it?' Smile

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
So what is the the plan with the one crane boom dangling over the side of building? The city and the media don't seem to be saying much about that situation. I don't see how that can be safe.

Ground based crane and cut it apart and bring to the ground

posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^
I agree. Marie Laveux got something to do with this. I know you are familiar with NOLA culture. Add gambling, to the mix, Ann Rice, and Interview with a Vampire. It is all there. Bad juju indeed.

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post