SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Too much fruit a bad thing?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Too much fruit a bad thing? Login/Join 
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted
I've been on a diet for a week and during this time I've been eating a lot of fresh fruit. Is there such a thing as eating too much fruit while trying to lose weight or can I eat all I want? Thanks.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Might be counter productive, most fruit is high in sugar. Two ways to lose weight, eat less, exercise more.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
If you eat more and more fruit, you will cross a critical point wherein your weight loss will accelerate exponentially.

You can speed things along by adding a few handfuls of Haribo Sugarless Gummi Bears to the mix.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
You can get a lot of extra sugar and too much fruit can have some explosive side effects.....

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
So can sugarless gummi bears. Wink

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
You can get a lot of extra sugar and too much fruit can have some explosive side effects.....
To be more direct, too much fruit can lead to explosive diarrhea. Certainly wouldn't want to trust a fart if you're drastically changing your fruit intake.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Fruit has a lot of fiber which effectively cancels out the sugar. I eat 5-6 servings a day of various fruits. You're fine just don't gorge or you are defeating the purpose. But if it's between eating filthy diarrhea fast food or this, eat the fruit.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwright1951:
Might be counter productive, most fruit is high in sugar. Two ways to lose weight, eat less, exercise more.

to be more accurate;

Burn more calories ~ intake fewer calories = lost weight

ymmv
john

Posts: 476 | Location: Greensboro, NC | Registered: November 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
small amounts of fruit are fine. Loaded with sugar so counter productive to losing weight imho

25 grams of sugar for males is a good threshold. that is a small group of grapes. So if you eat them. That is your daily alottment of sugar Eek
Be careful.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
How fiber "cancel out" sugar? That doesn't make sense. Sugar is sugar, and fruit has a lot of it for a natural food.

5 servings isn't too much, though. It is probably still less sugar than a can of coke or a jumbo Snicker's bar.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
How much is "a lot"? Age, weight, current health would be useful otherwise everyone here is just guessing.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
Do a little home work on how the body
metabolizes fructose.

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my case it depends on the fruit. A little watermelon and my blood glucose jumps up. Strawberries, blueberries-I can eat hands full of them no problem. Bananas-I'm screwed. Play with a glucometer if you're interested.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
How fiber "cancel out" sugar? That doesn't make sense. Sugar is sugar, and fruit has a lot of it for a natural food.

5 servings isn't too much, though. It is probably still less sugar than a can of coke or a jumbo Snicker's bar.

I believe he may have been misstating a low carb diet guideline.

In a low carb diet, "net carbs" are commonly used to keep track of carbs but still allow fiber intake.

Sugar and Fiber are both Carbs. Net Carbs (g) = Total Carbs (g) - Fiber (g)

Berries (blackberries, raspberries, etc) are good examples of fruit with low net carbs. Bananas, grapes, apples, oranges, any fruit juice are very high in net carbs.

I recently lost 30lbs over four months on a low carb diet (under 20g net carbs per day) and have maintained the weight loss for the last three months since (under 40g net carbs per day). On my high fat high protein diet, my cholesterol dropped by about 40 points. Finally got off the statin meds.

To the OP: Fruit is essentially nature's candy.

However, if you make the right choices and minimize the quantity, adding small amounts of the right fruits to a weight loss diet can help you get the nutrients necessary to staying healthy.

Or just skip the fruit for a while and take a multivitamin untill you hit your weight loss goal.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
In my case, yes. YMMV.

At the beginning of Lent, I stopped eating fast food, soda, alcohol and candy.

I would start my day off with Oatmeal with honey, a banana, and a glass of orange juice, Mid morning, I would have a large apple and a large orange. At lunch, I would eat a salad and a bunch of grapes (sometimes red, sometimes green). Mid afternoon, another large apple. Chicken, pork or fish for dinner and strawberries (with whipped cream) or watermelon for desert.

I never experienced diarrhea. I did lose some weight, but was exercising pretty regularly.

Last blood work (after approx. 50 days of lots of fruit), my blood glucose was 125, but my A1C was much higher than in the past. My Doc asked if I knew 1/2 of a large apple is considered a serving?

He told me I was eating too much natural sugar, in the form of fruit? WTH? I had never heard such a thing. Apparently, I was consuming more than my body could normally process. Who knew??????

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
More than about two, maybe three apples at a time give me gas, and don't get me started on roasted garlic cloves. Eek

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
Did the weightwatchers thing starting last a May, ate tons of fruit - bananas, apples, grapes, fresh pineapple (my favorite). It helped me lose 63 lbs but I did cut other sugars out totally

Posts: 2338 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwright1951:
It's actually not counter-productive. While fruit does contain sugars, the sugar is not absorbed as quickly or completly as it is by drinking the fruit's juice alone. This is due to the soluble fiber in the fruit. Fruit has a high nutrition to calorie ratio. You can eat as much as you wish. Veggies, fruit, legumes. Eat 'em all up.

Following this book I lost 44 pounds in 6 weeks. Never hungry. It worked. About 1 pound per day it seems.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Too much fruit a bad thing?

Too much of anything is never a good thing, when it comes to your health.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Everything in moderation. An all-fruit or almost all-fruit diet is not good.

Increasing fruit as a replacement for other sugars like bread, rice or tortillas...not so bad.

And by "sugars" I mean how your body processes them.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post