SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recomend a digital caliper and depth gage
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recomend a digital caliper and depth gage Login/Join 
posted
Hello, can someone recomend a reasonably priced, good quality, digital caliper that includes a depth gage?
I do not need the $900 precision one, just to be used for pistol sights and other general measuring. I have tried looking on amazon and home depot. The reviews are hit or miss and make the decision that much more difficult.

What are you guys using?

Thanks

Posts: 1491 | Registered: December 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Mitutoyo 6" and they will be metric and english. Manhattan Supply has many brands. MSC on line.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Harbor Freight!!!

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of porterdog
posted Hide Post
Mitutoyo from Ebay or pawn. Buy quality, cry once.

The solar ones are the best IMO, they're pretty much always ready to go.

Is your government serving you?

Posts: 1271 | Location: Detroit (Rock City!) | Registered: September 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dEX_RX
posted Hide Post
As said before, the Mitutoyo 6" is the best quality/value for the dollar. Batteries last years and they dont ding up easily.

NXGen Tactical
CZ P-09 MHS Trials #79 | P320RX-TSS | P320SCR | VP9 LE

Posts: 110 | Location: Central Mass | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Mitutoyo. I've had mine for years and use it all the time.

--------------------------------------------
You can't have no idea how little I care.

Posts: 344 | Registered: December 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where did you guys get your Mitutoyos from, it seems that amazon may be selling chicom rip offs? Of course based on the reviews I have read.

Posts: 1491 | Registered: December 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mitutoyo

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcl1960:
Harbor Freight!!!

This, I have one, works fine, and not expensive.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Super Shooter:
Where did you guys get your Mitutoyos from, it seems that amazon may be selling chicom rip offs? Of course based on the reviews I have read.
MSC on line and, as posted above, Ebay has many new and like new. I've had good luck buying high end measuring tools at Ebay.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
I got a nice one at Lowes, think it was around 25.00

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1369 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
I use the Mitutoyo 6" daily at my job with Delta in the engine shop. They are what they provide us and work fine. I've been using the same ones for about 4 years and never have changed the battery.

Posts: 1839 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Super Shooter:

MSI Viking Gauge for all your metrology needs.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Starrett dial caliper and like it very much. The Mitutoyo is also a good tool. Be aware though that the time you really need any of these electronic wonders the battery will be dead. If you do look into dial calipers be sure to get one with a single dial sweep per .100". The ones that have 0-100 twice on the dial are much harder to read. The drawback to dial calipers is that the ones I am familiar with are either metric or English, not both.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2876 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Mitutoyo dial mechanical has worked for me for 35 years.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Mitutoyo, all day every day.

After using a caliper for 50 years when I was working (tool maker)they are the best.

I have tried them all.

Check Enco for one. They tend to have the best prices.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4578 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I was a machinist in a forklift manufacturing facility for about 10 years, and our tolerances were generally about +/- .001 so dial calipers were fine. I always preferred Starrett dial calipers to digitals.

I just trusted that dial sweeping around a little more for some reason.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Mitutoyo Absolute are both metric and english. Many are coolant proof today. Their mechanical dials are equally accurate and last forever. As posted here, the dial face with .100 per revolution are nicest to read.

Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
For the basic stuff that I do, measuring tires, pads, rotors, ect. the harbor freight one works just fine.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
And for further reference....

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/4810099124

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post