SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mini-spot/Boston Dynamics... Is this real or computer generated? Robot dog, not a "toy"...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mini-spot/Boston Dynamics... Is this real or computer generated? Robot dog, not a "toy"... Login/Join 
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted
Short video, no idea if it's real or computer generated...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgaO45SyaO4

Anyone ever heard of "Boston Dynamics" before? Is this real?

James in Denver

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
They're quite real. Check out some videos of their humanoid robots. Pretty amazing.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Boston Dynamics is a real company. They compete in many of the DARPA projects. Google owns them.

Skynet is coming.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
To quote the tracker Billy from Predator, "We're all gonna die..."

Posts: 5101 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Been around for several years now. They even have a "Swearing Module". Big Grin

NSFW due to language.

ETA: Same video as 556 posted above, but more colorful commentary.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
That is some amazingly cool and scary technology. Just awesome.

Posts: 517 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James in Denver:
Short video, no idea if it's real or computer generated...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgaO45SyaO4

Anyone ever heard of "Boston Dynamics" before? Is this real?

James in Denver

They are real...and a pack of them was spotted near your home. They come out at night, mostly. Wink

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They've come a long way in a short period of time.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
They probably run on Windows which means they will probably just BSOD and drag their robotic asses in circles across the ground when they get a virus. No worries.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:

NSFW due to language.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zkv-_LqTeQA" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Thank you, I really needed that today Smile

Posts: 480 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:

NSFW due to language.

HA!

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I just watched the video and I am in tears, I needed that. I relate e way more to the robot then Kevin.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
They're quite real. Check out some videos of their humanoid robots. Pretty amazing.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rVlhMGQgDkY" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

I kept waiting for that robot to go Terminator on the guy with the hockey stick. If not now, won't be long.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 10X-Shooter,

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
quote:

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rVlhMGQgDkY" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

I kept waiting for that robot to go Terminator on the guy with the broom stick. If not now, won't be long.

Not long at all, according to this.

Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Watch out, reading the telegraph will turn you into a moron.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you take issue with specifics within the article or just with the Telegraph in general?

Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
It's typical speculative, alarmist drivel.

No substance, no real attribution, and an awful lot of "could be's" and "maybe's" and "what if's".

What's really annoying, is that it had the potential to be a good story if the author wasnt so lazy.

"Take it from me, some serious shit might happen, look Elon Musk says so!"

I think I just hate journalists now.

Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:

They are real...and a pack of them was spotted near your home. They come out at night, mostly. Wink

Now I know what's been turning over my trash cans when I put non working electronics and old computer parts in them on garbage day Eek

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Waited for the robot to take a swing at Kevin! Missed an opportunity, damn! Lol.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:

I like how the legs speed up to prevent tripping like a real human would.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post