SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mini-spot/Boston Dynamics... Is this real or computer generated? Robot dog, not a "toy"...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mini-spot/Boston Dynamics... Is this real or computer generated? Robot dog, not a "toy"... Login/Join 
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
It's typical speculative, alarmist drivel.

No substance, no real attribution, and an awful lot of "could be's" and "maybe's" and "what if's".

What's really annoying, is that it had the potential to be a good story if the author wasnt so lazy.

"Take it from me, some serious shit might happen, look Elon Musk says so!"

I think I just hate journalists now.

It's certainly pretty easy to hate many journalists now, and the Telegraph quite probably has slid backwards in a few areas over the past several years. However, overall, I think their coverage of most issues is well above average when compared to the competition.

I doubt if this piece was designed to be in-depth look at every aspect of the issue. My take on it is that it probably arose from a press release from one of the involved parties cited, most likely either the Campaign to Stop Killer Robots or the UN Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons. Then an editor probably told the reporter to give him x-number of words on it. Given the short length of the piece, I think there's enough there for anyone truly interested in the subject to use it as a blueprint for delving into it in more depth. I was totally unaware of both parties cited earlier, for example, and there are also a number of names associated with various aspects of the issue to provide a starting point for further investigation.

As far as the alarmist aspect, not all that long ago, had someone written about about an unmanned aircraft which could track and destroy a specific moving target while remaining unseen and unheard, that would undoubtedly have been considered speculative and alarmist.

It's not going to win any awards, but I don't think I'd go as far as to characterize it as having no substance.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
They're quite real. Check out some videos of their humanoid robots. Pretty amazing.

I like how the legs speed up to prevent tripping like a real human would.

I found the ability to navigate that very uneven terrain in the snow to be most impressive.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
And they learn from their mistakes. First time it picked up that 10lb box, it got a lumbar strain. Now, it lifts with its legs, not with its back.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted Hide Post
I did more searching on YouTube and found this on TedTalks posted in August 2017...

It's pretty cool!

https://www.bostondynamics.com/spot-mini

James in Denver

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Spot was pretty cool. I imagined it a dogs fur and could already see some usefulness.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted Hide Post
I just realized I didn't post the link of the TedTalk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO4In7d6X-c

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post