SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I took my Kids to the range a few weeks back.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I took my Kids to the range a few weeks back. Login/Join 
posted
Last year we waited patiently for the new range to open up next to bass pro. I had purchased 3 Smith and Wesson victory 22lr. One fore me. One for my 14 year old daughter, she asked for a red dot. One for my 13 year old son, who did not like the red dot till he tried it.

Previously they had only been shooting pistols on a rest or bag. This was their first time shooting standing. We spent a few hours going over safety, stance, breathing, sight picture and trigger control.

All in all they were there for a few hours. Each had 500 rounds, I was fully expecting them to only shoot a 100 or so. They burned through nearly a brick each. I think they might have had 250 rounds left over between them.

My daughter Cj.

My son Albert.

So how did it go? Well, my daughter was slow methodical shooting her five mags at a time at a very sedate pace and creating nice 3" groups at 25ft. Pretty good for her first time shooting standing, especially for so long.

My son took the approach of suppress the paper with relentless overwhelming firepower. Make that paper scream for mercy. He was much faster, much more intuitive. Not nearly as accurate as his sister. He was how ever on target for all. He enjoyed himself.

Both obeyed the range rules, watched their muzzle directions, kept the guns on safe, and actions open. I was very impressed.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Nice!!!

I took my own grandkids out a couple days ago for their first 22 session.

The 12 year old boy was a bit cautious at first but quickly gained confidence.

The 16 yo girl was impressive in that she had shot a few times a year ago with her dad.

They both did wonderful with range safety rules, learning the basics of handling the pistols and impressively on target mostly.

Used a 1953 Ruger Standard 22 and a 1984 Mk II with a red dot.

Everybody wants to do it again. Soon.

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Great gun for kids and adults alike. After shooting mine just once I invested in 4 extra mags as I knew it was staying in my stable of guns.

Just my opinion, but I'd suggest getting the Tandemkross Victory trigger for them. I just put one in my Victory a few days ago and wow, what a difference! Maybe a little Easter present for them? Plus they come in a few different colors, so they can individualize their guns a bit.

If you go that route get an extra spring and plunger, just in case. If it goes flying during install you'll be glad you did. To minimize the chances of that from happening,l do that step in a gallon Ziploc bag.

Posts: 466 | Location: NW Ohio | Registered: August 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Awesome, but where's the pics of the first targets?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Sounds like an awesome day! The kids' stances are good, too.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Very nice. They look well schooled. Congrats and great work Dad.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19173 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
So...which one adopted the Hi Power? Lol

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
i noticed your son appears to have his right foot slightly ahead of his left. is he by any chance left eye dominant? i am right handed left eye dominant. i think i should try that

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
Looks like a fun day for everyone.

So, do they both clean their own firearm after shooting, or is that chore left to Dad? Smile

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nasig:
i noticed your son appears to have his right foot slightly ahead of his left. is he by any chance left eye dominant? i am right handed left eye dominant. i think i should try that

Yes as a matter of fact he is. I started him out straight on the target. He progressed to this. He seemed most comfortable with it. I only had to remind him to keep his weight forward once or twice.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Awesome, but where's the pics of the first targets?

They brought them home, i am not sure what happened to them.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
So...which one adopted the Hi Power? Lol

Neither as of yet. I do have a second one in the works.

We will see how that fight goes.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Nice! Over spring break I had my young kids to the range for the first time, shooting the CZ452 suppressed. Just a quick trip to get them used to the the range, the rules, etc. They each put 10 RDS on paper, then 25 RDS each on clay pigeons on the 25 yard berm.

You're right to keep it fun and your kids obviously really enjoyed it to stay that long / shoot that much.

Keep it up!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
That's a great way to spend time with the kids, congrats.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
It's a lot of fun to take the grandkids out to the range. We have two that are about to turn 15. One was slow about warming up to recoil the other loves recoil, giggles every time he shoots my .44 mag.
We've got two more just about the age to start handling .22s. We're planning in starting them soon.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
another case of "you're doing it Right!"

keeping it going for another generation.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Boy, that takes me back many years. What a great day to enjoy a trip to the range with Dad, well done. I'm certain when they get older it will be some of their fondest memories, as were mine.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Any time you can get kids / young adults interested in shooting is a good thing, well done Dad.

Posts: 1954 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
your kids are a natural fire team. One lays down suppressive fire while the other "takes out" the target.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:
your kids are a natural fire team. One lays down suppressive fire while the other "takes out" the target.

They stick up for each other.