SIGforum
Mountain bikers...what do I have?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/5070094044

April 14, 2018, 06:41 PM
FN in MT
Mountain bikers...what do I have?
I have a pair of SPECIALIZED bikes, both are Hard Rock Sport.

One is a Mens, 26" tires. 18 speed I believe; 3 x 6 sprockets. Both have been stored indoors out of the sun, both are in excellent shape with original tires, etc.

I think it's either late 80's or early 90's. I found a number on the bottom of the frame; GN024009.

Any idea when it was made? I looked for half an hour online with no joy.

Are these older steel framed bikes desirable or collectible?

FN in MT
April 14, 2018, 06:52 PM
Aquilon
I can’t help you specifically with serial number and year of manufacture. I do know that in the late 80s/early 90s, Specialized was making, basically, three mountain bikes - the Hard Rock was the entry level, followed by the middle-of-the-road Rock Hopper, then Stump Jumper was the high end. IIRC, the “Sport” would have been a step up over the regular Hard Rock, probably slightly better components. I doubt they are collectors bikes, but I don’t know that for sure either. Specialized made excellent mountain bikes at the time, and even the entry level Hard Rock was a solid bike. Obviously, it’s quite outdated now, but if they’ve been taken care of, it’s a good bike with a solid frame and you can probably get plenty of use out of it with a modest overhaul/servicing.

You could also try searching the Bikepedia database. Might be able to narrow down a year based on the components on the bike.

And I just came across this archive of old Specialized catalogs. They're in German, but there's plenty there from the 80s and 90s - might be able to match it up by photos.
April 14, 2018, 07:14 PM
Sig Sauer Kraut
I sold my hard rock (not sport) from the same era about 8 years ago. It was on Craigslist for a long time and was priced low. Unless your model has some limited collectors appeal, it’s likely not worth anything.
April 14, 2018, 07:15 PM
arfmel
I wouldn't say they're desirable or collectible like a vintage Colt revolver, but there are people who use and enjoy older bicycles. I'm one of 'em. I can't see putting $2-3000 into the latest thing in bicycle tech, and you can spend a bunch more than that.

Old French built road bikes are cool. (Not that this is one of them)
April 14, 2018, 07:19 PM
Ronin101
i'm not aware of any collectors. I still have my 94 rockhopper. great bike to ride and they are quality in my opinion. i am guessing 88-92. the 93 and newer had 3x7!!!
April 14, 2018, 07:33 PM
newmexican
I don’t know how much things have changed but back ~ 10 years ago when I was racing a lot and working in a bike shop, the only collectible specialized bike was the first year stump jumpers, those were something that people would pay for. Another cool one was the Gary fisher Grateful Dead bike.
April 14, 2018, 08:18 PM
FN in MT
Thanks Gents....all I need to know. Aired the tires up, wiped it down, added some oil to the chain and it went down the road just fine.

I think I will keep it.
April 14, 2018, 08:18 PM
bigdeal
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
I don’t know how much things have changed but back ~ 10 years ago when I was racing a lot and working in a bike shop, the only collectible specialized bike was the first year stump jumpers, those were something that people would pay for. Another cool one was the Gary fisher Grateful Dead bike.
You remember any of the first Gary Klein mountain bikes. I still have and ride an original Klein Attitude Comp, vintage 1999. The frames on those bikes were an absolute work of art.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter
April 14, 2018, 08:35 PM
comet24
Not going to be worth much unless there is something really special about that bike.

I pulled my old 1998 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo out last year and got it running again for the cost of some cleaner and lube. Took a little work to get the shifters to work again.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac
April 14, 2018, 09:47 PM
newmexican
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
You remember any of the first Gary Klein mountain bikes. I still have and ride an original Klein Attitude Comp, vintage 1999. The frames on those bikes were an absolute work of art.

Gosh I forgot about Klein bikes, my first serious mountain bike was a Klein in like 1994, it was neon green, I think it was a pinnacle or a rascal.
April 14, 2018, 09:58 PM
SigJacket
quote:
quote:
quote:

Gosh I forgot about Klein bikes, my first serious mountain bike was a Klein in like 1994, it was neon green, I think it was a pinnacle or a rascal.

My Klein Mantra Comp still handles trails just fine. About 1998 vintage.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844
April 14, 2018, 10:17 PM
r0gue
With a pic, I can probably tell ya.

and.... Hi everyone!

April 14, 2018, 10:18 PM
r0gue
quote:
quote:
quote:

Neon Green? Sure it wasn't the Adroit? Loved that one.

April 15, 2018, 05:23 AM
4MUL8R
I am selling an as new road bike, and priced it how I would like it to sell. A respondent sent me this link to show me the bluebook value. It might be a useful link for your search.

https://www.bicyclebluebook.co...detail.aspx?id=43848

-------
Trying to simplify my life...
April 15, 2018, 05:36 AM
gearhounds
Anyone ever hear of Batavus? They are made in the Netherlands, and are really nice touring/traveling bikes. I picked one up at Goodwill a few years back for a scant $35. Welded aluminum frame, and 9x3 sprockets. It was and remain in perfect shape.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gearhounds,

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown
April 15, 2018, 06:39 AM
dogmush
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
quote:
quote:
quote:

My Klein Mantra Comp still handles trails just fine. About 1998 vintage.

I still ride my mid-90's Racal. Great bike.
April 15, 2018, 10:47 AM
preten2b
Good quality of bike for it's day, and yet nothing at all special about it. At that age BB, headset, and hubs need fresh grease, chain or cables need lube, and tires may dry rot. Maintenance aside, if you like to just ride paths and neighborhoods, then you are GTG.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis
April 15, 2018, 11:15 AM
bigdeal
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
I am selling an as new road bike, and priced it how I would like it to sell. A respondent sent me this link to show me the bluebook value. It might be a useful link for your search.

https://www.bicyclebluebook.co...detail.aspx?id=43848
Not sure I'd trust the results outta that website. I searched my old bike and found an excellent private party sale value of ~$175. I've seen several 1999-2000 Klein Attitude Comp stripped 'frames' go for $300-$400, and complete bikes in excellent condition go for as high as $1k.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter
April 15, 2018, 11:24 AM
FN in MT
quote:
Originally posted by preten2b:
Good quality of bike for it's day, and yet nothing at all special about it. At that age BB, headset, and hubs need fresh grease, chain or cables need lube, and tires may dry rot. Maintenance aside, if you like to just ride paths and neighborhoods, then you are GTG.

Frankly it's in very good shape. Both were stored in a dry garage , out of the sun. Original tires not weather checked , have been holding air nicely.

Yeah. These will be used on dirt roads, and paved paths. No more off road biking stuff for me. So they should serve us just fine.

Found out today they thought they were purchased post 1987 no later than 89.

Got the other one today too...slightly smaller and a different color, obviously for a woman or smaller rider. Same shape.

I doubt either bike ever saw water or mud.

Taking the larger one in for a check up/Service ASAP. In a few more weeks they will open the roads up at Glacier Park allowing in hikers and bikers. I have wanted to go up to watch them plow and clear the snow for years. Now I have my vehicle to do it.

We have so much snow I doubt GTTS road will open all the way for cars much before 4th of July, if even then.

Thanks for the info everyone.
April 15, 2018, 11:35 AM
lyman
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
i'm not aware of any collectors. I still have my 94 rockhopper. great bike to ride and they are quality in my opinion. i am guessing 88-92. the 93 and newer had 3x7!!!

I have one of similar vintage and on the rare occasion that I do ride it, like it,

I think I paid ~$400 for it new, with cheesy Styrofoam helmet , with a fabric covering that was labeled Specialized

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/