SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Business owner roll call!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Business owner roll call! Login/Join 
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
I'm not a business owner but it sure is neat reading about the members here and what they do for a living, good stuff!

Posts: 1842 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
32 years in the cabinetmaking business. started out in a small duplex garage right after I got married. Just couldn't stand working for someone else. I even made it on the cover of cabinetmaker magazine in 2000.

https://www.houzz.com/pro/raybly/ray-bly-cabinetry

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
My wife and I are on a second careers (law enforcement and airline industry being our firsts)

We currently own a grooming salon. While I am a co-owner, I'm actually in a semi-retired state Wink and only go in 2-3 days each week. My wife also does obedience training at the business.

We are doing good and happy to be "the bosses!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Top Gun Supply
posted Hide Post
Well, I own...oh, c'mon, you guys already know what I do. Big Grin

https://www.topgunsupply.com

SIG SAUER Dealer and Parts Distributor

Posts: 10339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cummings Custom Refinishing
posted Hide Post
We are going on 32 years of making guns pretty again Smile

Cummings Custom Refinishing offers Quality Craftsmanship at affordable prices. Fully Lic FFL's for over 30 years
OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED
423-639-8924
www.ccrrefinishing.com

Posts: 5208 | Location: Eastern Tn | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
My wife and I own a small woodturning business, our primary market is fine art shows around the country. It's much more involved than just putting our work on a table and collecting the bucks. Shows are very competitive, high quality digital images of my work are required, it is always a juried show, often competing for as few as 12 spots for wood in general out of over 1,000 other applicants.

We get to pick what part of the country we want to see and pray that we get in. It has been very rewarding, I was featured in the Food Network Magazine in 2010 with Guy Fieri who has my work along with Bobby Flay, Paula Dean, Giada De Laurentiis and Jacques Pepin & his daughter Claudine. Actually several of the SF members have some of my salt and pepper grinders !

We are now slowing way down on the show circuit and focusing on making cremation urns primarily for pets. I can see a karma sometime in the near future.

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Federally licensed dealer in firearms other than destructive devices (01 FFL).

Environmental consulting related to the intersection of military munitions, military ranges, and environmental sustainability, currently supporting an Army program.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I am majority owner of a custom home company. I am qualifying agent, and home designer. Self taught on the software I use. We started right in the middle of the housing crisis, and are now doing about 8-9 million dollars a year. Goals are for 12 million next year.

I design, budget, and generate all construction related documentation for the company. I also hold the licensing for the State.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
My brother and I have a ice cream manufacturing company, and a few retail stores.

Posts: 5736 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billfasttax
posted Hide Post
Started my first business in 1965. A Gulf service station. Sales manager for national building products company for several years and refused to transfer to Florida in 1972 and have operated my own business since, until my wife retired last year. Multiple pawn shop-jewelry stores. 400 tax office affiliates around the US. Several restaurant/clubs. Commercial surplus and salvage business for 10 years. Many times more than 1 business at a time. I can't picture a better life even with all the ups and downs and employee aggravation. Both my kids are also successfully self-employed.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming…......WOW! WHAT A RIDE!

Posts: 766 | Location: North of Atlanta | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
21 years ago, I opened a Barber Shop in half our our two-car garage. My dream job! I jokingly tell people I spend eight hours a day rendering unlicensed medical and legal opinions, but I am paid to cut hair. guys are always bringing guns in to show. Classic cars, too. I feature both on the shop facebook page. Love it!

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2339 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of policetruck
posted Hide Post
I'm new to this scene but working on my 07 FFL (interview complete) for eventually manufacturing silencers. Also trying to get into laser engraving for a whole variety of things.

My full time job is as a machinist at a power plant.

www.landwarfare.net
Veteran owned 07 FFL/ 02 SOT
LandWarfareNow@gmail.com
Instagram @land.warfare

Posts: 1194 | Location: Va | Registered: July 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was working as a trainer for General Motors, training dealer techs and engineers. I loved my job but the travel was too much with small kids.

One day, the lady that cleaned our house, my wife had a more than full time job as well, told me she was quitting because her husband had to be closer to U of M for medical stuff(he is still around). They had a parking lot sweeping business. I asked her what they were going to do with the equipment and she said part it out. In passing I said she would make more money if they sold it as a business. That night he called.

My wife and I talked it over. On one of their trips to Ann Arbor we had them drop off a copy of their books to our accountant. He studied them and told me we could make it work. That was 23 years ago.

Our first year we did about double the gross the old owners had done. Later it was up to five times as much.

There were two sides to the company. One did construction and government work and the other did commercial sweeping(think Walmart etc.) This past May we sold the company and retired! I may go into something else depending on how I adjust. LIFE IS GOOD!

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
After 42 years in law enforcement and being the largest hay producer in the area, I retired from all that and 5 years ago my son and I started a Private Investigation and Firearms Training business. Trying to teach back what I know and stay relevant.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not me, but my wife is a bit over a year into her own women's fashion boutique.

She started as an independent retailer with a large women's clothing company & did that for 2 years (my part was financing the investment).
She got out as the upper-level structure started changing from how things were when we got in.

Went back to being her own boss, with her own shop & does pretty well with it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Single-person computer/network consultancy in the DC area, founded in 1996.

My clients are (mostly) Fed. Govt. technology contractors, and not-for-profits, both of which thickly infest the DC area. Prior to stepping out on my own, I was VP at one of these contractors. Got fired (for a valid cause, I was too bored to do my job well), and two days later I had my first client, a major NYC bank. I learned that flying to NYC every Monday morning and back home every Friday evening was not the lifestyle I was looking for, but it didn't take too long to find clients in town, one of which I have worked with continuously since that time.

Posts: 6470 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
hey Dave

Started a company back in June of 2002 with two partners

we held our first meetings at a Bickfords restaurant on Fridays

all three of us were named Greg

we hired our first CPA and attorney

both of them were named..you guessed it...Greg

we started with one office in NH, and grew into a company of 68 employees and twelve offices around the country

we are the largest provider of what we do in the United States

Greg, I've always enjoyed our lunch/dinner meetings and you've told me 1000 times what you do but it always goes over my head. Congratulations on your success my friend!

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6010 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
I love reading these stories. Please continue!

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6010 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
My primary business is medical equipment, And a separate company that is medical manufacturers shared National Sales Management firm. I have two small hobby businesses A) knives and gun accessories B) A high end line of skincare products for problem areas I.E. dryness, eczema and rosacea as well as anti-aging creams.
I am looking for a partner for these small businesses that can run all the digital advertising/social media posts.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8354 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
Wife and I got sick of working for law firms and started a Real Estate Law Firm / Title Company in 2004. Ran the market up and then down and then back up again. I love helping people and making deals happen. So for the last 14 years I have been self-employed / self-unemployed depends on how the month is going. Wouldn't change it for a thing. My kids are 10 and 9 it has given me the opportunity to spend tons of time with them, which is what my trip around this rock is all about.

www.alliantfl.com

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post