SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Business owner roll call!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Business owner roll call! Login/Join 
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted
If you own your own business, tell me about it. I'll start, I own a jewelry store, been in the same location for 23 years and have been honored with serving the members for over 10 years!

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6008 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
hey Dave

Started a company back in June of 2002 with two partners

we held our first meetings at a Bickfords restaurant on Fridays

all three of us were named Greg

we hired our first CPA and attorney

both of them were named..you guessed it...Greg

we started with one office in NH, and grew into a company of 68 employees and twelve offices around the country

we are the largest provider of what we do in the United States

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53164 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sorry, it sounds like "What's My Line". What is it that you do?

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
No longer, but I used to own a quick lube shop in the late 80's - early 90's.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38642 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
We own a pet store, 5 years in and 5 to go.

Posts: 12917 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I started a bunch of real estate service businesses, foreclosure trustee, loan servicing, 1031 Exchange accommodator, and a registered investment advisory. All have been closed or sold now. I was also CEO or chairman of a dozen or so corporations and subsidiaries which I did not start, as well as a partner in a couple of law firms at various points.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

Sorry, it sounds like "What's My Line". What is it that you do?

My guess is make novelty products, featuring the name "Greg". Big Grin

Posts: 5726 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I own a music studio, teaching piano and guitar for just over 3 years.

Posts: 1177 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I intitially had a business where I bought late model (at the time) corvettes and mustangs in the mid to late 90's that were wrecked or stolen recoveries, rebuilding them, reselling them. Then I bought a used car lot, sold that a few years later and became a partner in another used car lot for 2 years. Got out of the car business completely in my 20's. Started a live bait business where I caught the bait and sold it live to customers, after a few years the novelty wore off and the tough work and fishing all night became reality and got out of that.

Then got my Captains license and started a Yacht Management business managing and maintaining yachts around 2003 and still at it. I do a lot of deliveries all over this hemisphere of yachts for yacht manufacturers and yacht owners and manage and maintain yachts as well as freighter unloadings and loadings of yachts shipping all over the world. Everyday is different and I enjoy it, but no longer enjoy boating recreationally.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I own a computer solutions company, been in business for 12 years, sole proprietorship. My only regret is not doing it earlier.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16666 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
20 years this past March. Information Technology and electronics superstore. Locations in the southeast and northwest, looking to expand even more.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
I co-founded (with three academics) a small biotech reagents and services company in NC (RTP/Durham) back in 2012. We have 20 employees now.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the interest Dave.

I started a residential construction business when I moved from TX to VA over 35 yeas ago and became one of the top custom builders in the state. A few years later I also started a rental management company.

I will retire from the construction when the two projects we are working on are completed but will keep the rental management company for a few more years.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Once had clocks that I made in my spare time. I gave up after I could no longer get the displays from Ukraine and custom board printing was a PITA. Multi-layer boards are pricey. Kept the first one I made. Sold the rest to a guy in Pennsylvania.

Now I gather inventories to build custom displays. Looking for all kinds of stuff on a list every three months. Kinda surprising what some things are bought for when I'm under budget and have a few items remaining.

Posts: 9140 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Contract pilot and CFI. I travel to SMF for much of my work, but do a lot of independent instructing of the front range in Colorado.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10907 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I've never had a real job that mattered in my adult life. Opened a retail fruit market in 1974 at age 23. Operated market until 1997 and sold the business but kept the real estate. Still a market and I've got good triple net lease.

Got my real estate license in 1978 and worked as an independent, never a member of multi-list. Dad was the broker and I was his only salesman. When he passed in 97 I got my brokers license and kept it until I gave them up a couple years ago.

Ran a fishing guide service in Moore Haven Fl Lake Okeechobee during the winters from 1986 until 96.

I bought my first stock in 1964 at age 13. 8 shares of Eli Lilly cost $640 money I'd made from a 900 plant tomato patch. Still have the stock and through splits and div re-investments over 1000 shares now @ close Friday of $115 per share. I've been active in the stock market ever since as an investor, not a trader.

First fruit stand. I rented this old gas station in 1974 at $200 per month and when I moved in 1991 my rent was $225 per month. Landlord liked me and building was a true pos but I did well there. Smile

This is the market that I still own. Bought it in 1980 directly across the street from my original market. I leased it to a bbq joint for 10 years and they paid for most of the real estate.

My guide days

Posts: 4693 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've always been Crazy!
kept me from goin Insane!
posted Hide Post
Wife and I own Harrison Shooter Supply. Gun store in the little town of Lyndon, KS. Sig master dealer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.
Author unknown

Posts: 2180 | Location: Lyndon,KS | Registered: November 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I've owned a car audio retail store since 1986, so 32 years. We had 4 locations at one point, but sold/closed the out of town stores, and now just have two locations. We do car stereo, alarms, remote starters, rear seat entertainment, etc.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
We were distributors and installers of high end residential and commercial playground equipment with 2 showrooms. I loved it most of it, but got out after almost 15 years. Too much time away from home. Looking for my next opportunity closer to home.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
I've owned a car audio retail store since 1986, so 32 years. We had 4 locations at one point, but sold/closed the out of town stores, and now just have two locations. We do car stereo, alarms, remote starters, rear seat entertainment, etc.

Who had the store over by EKL on Airline back around 76? I bought a scanner there.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post