SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who Spends $100,000 For A New Mustang?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who Spends $100,000 For A New Mustang? Login/Join 
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted
So I got an oil change, and (as usual) browsed the show room of my local Ford dealer. They had a new Mustang GT350 on the floor. It was a pretty car, but I can't understand the pricing. Sticker was $66K, plus $30K 'market adjustment.'

I appreciate sports cars, but I cannot fathom how anybody would spend so bloody much for a Mustang (I have owned 2 'stangs in my lifetime, and I've always had a soft spot for them). But, 100-frickin-THOUSAND for a new Mustang? I just don't get it....

Of course, they also has a $72K Expedition, a $61K F150 Lariat, and a $48K Focus RS. 5.5 years ago, I got my F150 King Ranch for $42K, and prices have skyrocketed since then. That same truck today is over $60K new (more than a Raptor cost in 2012), and I will never spend that much for any 'daily driver.'

I understand the 'market adjustment' is based on the relative rarity of these 'hot' models, but it's STILL just a Mustang. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21846 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ford announced earning yesterday

Sales down
Revenue tanked

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
There's an ass for every seat.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Nobody sane would pay an extra $30k for a GT350, hence why it's still on the dealer's floor. Right now, there's quite a few 2017s available and I wouldn't pay MSRP let alone any additional markup.

Posts: 10942 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I don't know how they could ever expect to get that ADM for that car. Just hoping I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Personally I would never pay MSRP for any car, let alone an additional ADM. I am pretty sure you could get one cheaper, especially with the GT 500 on the way. I bought a new loaded GT in 2015 for ~37K. I am guessing the GT 500 will be pushing $80k MSRP, some think more.

Plenty out there at or below MSRP.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
It's called dealer greed. It's what killed the Thunderbird for Ford and the GTO for Pontiac. Interesting column that ran in both Road & Track and Car & Driver on the subject.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/ca...when-dealers-attack/

The New High-Performance Fords Could Fail the Same Way the Pontiac GTO Did
When dealers attack.
BY JACK BARUTH
APR 7, 2017

"Forty grand of additional dealer markup in a single photo." The photo to which the caption referred showed two new Shelby Mustangs and a Focus RS on the dealership floor. My first thought was a quote from the movie Clerks: "This job would be great it it wasn't for the (blank)ing customers." Only the way I heard it in my head was: This car business would be great if it wasn't for the (blank)ing dealers.

Imagine that you're part of the various "skunkworks" operations at Ford. You've moved heaven and earth to find budget, engineering time, production time, supplier time, and manpower to turn lead into gold. Against all odds, you've gotten every level of the corporation to sign off on a project like the Mustang GT350 or the Focus RS–small-batch stuff that consumes massive amounts of effort while having less impact on the bottom line than the most insignificant additional-equipment package for the F-150 pickup does.

It's no joke getting a performance variant of anything through a modern multinational like Ford or General Motors. You spend more time justifying your project's existence than you spend actually building the thing. It's the first thing that people want to cut when times are tough, and the last thing they want to fund when the market rebounds.

Still, after all is said and done you've actually pulled it off. You've convinced the bean-counters to let you build an 8,250-rpm V8 or a 350-horsepower all-wheel-drive hatchback in candy-apple neon blue. You load up the factory orders, you watch the cars get rave reviews… and then everything just comes to a sudden, high-impact STOP at the dealers. The cars that you sweated blood to get in the hands of customers are glued to the showroom floors while the polyester-suit types running the dealers try to squeeze an extra ten or twenty grand worth of profit out of them.

"It's perfectly legal!" the sales managers will say, and they are right. "If we have to discount slow-selling cars, shouldn't we be able to mark-up the hot ones?" And that sounds fair on the surface of things. There's just one little problem: This kind of raw greed really only works with cost-no-object rich-boy toys like the Ferrari 458 Speciale or Ford's own GT. Those cars are already priced into the stratosphere. They aren't being purchased by people who are watching their budgets or trying to stretch into a dream car. With very few exceptions, if you can afford $300k for a toy you can probably afford $400k.

That's just not the case with the fast Fords at the humbler end of the socioeconomic spectrum. My experience selling Fords and working for Ford Credit tells me that most of your buyers for those products are stretched pretty thin. They don't have an extra ten grand to throw at a car, and the banks aren't interested in loaning them that ten grand either. So they end up buying something else, while the marked-up cars continue to sit in the showroom.

We've seen this movie before–with the 5.7-liter Pontiac GTO. This was a product that had huge momentum and tremendous buzz when it hit the showroom floors, but the dealers saw it as a chance to make a down payment on their next boat so the first allocation of cars wound up dead on arrival, sticker-shackled to the ground by additional markup. As more GTOs came off the boat from Australia, the dealers started to relax their grip a bit, but by then the word was out on the car that you couldn't get a decent price on one, so the buyers didn't bother to come in.

When the significantly-improved LS2-powered GTO arrived a year later, it found its older cousins still cluttering up the lots. All of a sudden, the same dealers who had asked twenty grand over sticker were desperate to get rid of their inventory. All this did was convince buyers that the cars were overpriced and didn't retain their value, which harmed sales of the brand-new GTO as well.

It's easy to imagine a scenario where the dealers sold their first GTO allocations at or below sticker, building sales momentum and customer excitement. The lots could have been empty by the time the bigger-bore car arrived, and the momentum would have picked up further from there. Maybe some of that "halo effect" might have actually rubbed off on the more modest Pontiac offerings. It's a stretch to say it, but if the Pontiac dealers had handled the GTO properly, maybe there might still be Pontiac dealers around today.

The problem is that while even the most incompetent car company thinks in terms of product cycles and multi-year plans, the average dealership is run on a thirty-day basis. Given a chance to swing for the fences with five or ten grand worth of dealer markup, most of the sales managers out there will cheerfully forget all about "brand image" or long-term planning. And the longer a car sits on the showroom floor with that markup sticker, the more "sunk cost" incentive there is for the manager to keep the sticker on it just so he prove that he was right about putting it on there in first place. I'd call it fiddling while Rome burns, but at least Nero was reputed to be a competent musician. Most dealership sales personnel aren't even good at selling cars.

I assure you that plenty of intelligent people at General Motors understood what a disaster this short-term dealer mindset was for the Pontiac brand, the same way a lot of intelligent people at Ford are probably holding their head in their hands watching their dealers try to screw an extra five grand out of Focus buyers. The problem is that the separation between manufacturer and dealer is enshrined in franchise law pretty much across every one of the fifty states. Believe me, Ford would love to have you visit an "RS/Shelby Boutique" where you could enjoy a Nordstrom's approach to buying your next performance car–but the laws on the books, and their existing contracts, mean that they are forced, like the old general once said, to go to war with the army they have, not the army they want.

This is what I'm afraid will happen, because it's happened in the past: The dealers will misuse their additional-markup privileges to kill the market for the Focus RS and the standard non-R versions of the Shelby GT350. Then, after the market dries up, they will complain to Ford that the cars don't sell, which will give the bean counters additional ammunition to refuse requests for future fast-Ford projects. Before you know it, the closest thing you'll be able to get to a factory-build Ford sporting vehicle will be the tape-and-stripe packages that reigned supreme forty years ago in the Malaise Era.

The only people who can change this state of affairs are the people who have decision power at the dealerships. I know that a lot of them read this website, at least occasionally. So if you are a sales manager or a general manager at a Ford dealer, I am begging you: Sell these cars to the people who want them, at a fair price, as quickly as you can. Try to be part of the solution instead of being part of the problem. If you are a Tom Cruise fan, then imagine him telling you to "Help Ford help you!" Or if, like me, you read the Bible a lot as a child, imagine Moses telling you to "Let My Shelbys Go!" Or maybe you're a fan of the original Top Gear, in which case I'm going to suggest that you… "Get off your RS!"

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe they’re confused and think they have one of the new Ford GT supercars on the floor. Market adjustment for anything other than exotic limited run cars should go down not up. You could buy a regular mustang with that extra $30k.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3534 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
My brand new Mustang was ~$1700 in 1968.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I was at a dealer in Richmond a couple of weeks ago, they had two GT350's and the one that had the markup to get it just under $100K was sold and the customer was picking it up in a couple of days.
The other one was only about $85K.( it didn't have the wing or the Carbon Fiber wheels) Roll Eyes

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I was at the Ford dealership last week and the F150 Raptor was $82000 with a dealer adjustment fee of $10000k. $92k out the door. I spoke with one of the salesmen and he told me that sell them and can't keep the Raptor in stock. Madness...

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
But yet, if you look around a bit, a Hellcat or a 392 can be found for sticker or just under.

Dodge HQ did well with their dealer allocation policy.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
If you look around you can get a new GT350 for sticker easily. The GT350R is limited production and will command some sort of ADM. I wouldn’t pay it and thinknthose that do, are high. My Ford Performance car was going for 5-10k ADM and I ended up paying 4k under sticker. People told me I was crazy and it couldn’t be done. A sucker is born every minute.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12637 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Last I was in there, my dealer had 3 GT350s & about 5 Focus RSs, and a handful of Raptors. All with varying degrees of market adjustment on them.
Last I checked, the GT350 had enough adjustment to push them just shy of 100k.
Focus RS was around a $5k markup.
Don't recall the Raptor markup.

No way I'd be a buyer at anything more than sticker.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
There's an ass for every seat.
Of course there's also "A sucker born every day."

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who Spends $100,000 For A New Mustang?

Oh you know...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I attended the Chicago Boat & RV show a few weeks ago.
There were Shelby pick-ups for over $100,000 on display.
I asked myself who would pay $100,000+ for a performance pick-up truck, to me its like a joke.
To each there own.

Posts: 4627 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I remember the markup on thr Thunderbird. What was really funny was the initial greed markup on the PT Cruiser. Really?

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
If I'm paying $100K for a car, it better be providing sexual favors.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
I remember the markup on thr Thunderbird. What was really funny was the initial greed markup on the PT Cruiser. Really?

PTs were insanely popular when they came out. The media even made a big deal that Tom Hanks drove one. It was the first of the 'retro' cars, and people loved the look (as it was new and novel at the time). The PT craze spawned cars like the new Camaros and Challengers.

It was the classic supply/demand formula in action. I suppose it's the same with these ridiculously marked-up Mustangs. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21846 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Only way I'd fork out 100k for a Mustang would be for the one Steve McQueen drove in Bullit.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post