SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I found PETA propaganda in my son's backpack today (second grader)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I found PETA propaganda in my son's backpack today (second grader) Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
So I was going through my kid's backpack today (a 7 year old) and I see a coloring book. Then I read the title; "Wild animals belong in the wild". Hmm, that's odd...

This thing is full of left wing propaganda!

-Help Ele leave the circus and be reunited with her family
-Circus chains: Elephants are forced to spend most of their lives in chains
-Circuses hurt animals: A crossword puzzle

I think to myself, is this common core? Then I look at the publisher: PETA!!!

What in the wide world of sports is PETA propaganda doing in my kid's backpack?! I pay for a private christian school!

I wrote a very gentle and concerning letter to the teacher tonight. I'll see what she says.

My wife got home and saw how worked up I was. She asks why and I showed her the coloring book. She didn't get it until I pointed out the messages an the publisher.

I really like the teacher and she's new, maybe mid-20's and cute as a button. Perhaps she didn't know what PETA really does?

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5374 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Educate your son properly:

People
Eating
Tasty
Animals

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
So I was going through my kid's backpack today (a 7 year old) and I see a coloring book. Then I read the title; "Wild animals belong in the wild". Hmm, that's odd...

This thing is full of left wing propaganda!

My children attend a private Christian school as well. I can tell you, you must be more involved and vigilant than ever before. The unspoken mandate is to hire young fresh-looking teachers, in order to fill the classrooms and make the product attractive (so to speak).

There's not a single college out there, producing today's newest teachers, that's immune from the bullshit that the left has infected these institutions with. To make matters worse, the idealistic young teachers come from their insular collegiate world, and step immediately into an insular K-12 sphere where they're the gods of their kingdom.

It's a recipe for all things not good.

Every time I've ever pushed back, the teachers usually look at me with this deer-in-the-headlights "I think this man might be having a stroke" look, because clearly they've never been outside in the real world.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
As a side note, the coloring book wasn't an assignment to be graded. It was something that all the kids must have got to just "have fun" with. My son told me about "Ele the elephant" so that tells me that the coloring book was talked about in class before being handed out.

I don't want to over-react, but this has a foul underlying stench to it.

quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:

Every time I've ever pushed back, the teachers usually look at me with this deer-in-the-headlights "I think this man might be having a stroke" look, because clearly they've never been outside in the real world.

That's the reaction I got from my wife last night when she got home from work. She didn't see at all what the fuss was about at first. After talking a while she basically told me to be gentle with the girl and give her the benefit of the doubt. My wife recognizes that I have a much more finely tuned radar to spotting left-wing liberal propaganda than she does. My wife doesn't pay attention to that kind of stuff but she always asks me to clarify what's going on in the political world.

She can't handle doing the research I do or listening to the talking heads on the radio or news so she lets me filter through it all and give her the cliff notes about what's going on. Although, she did a face palm when I said "This is what 8 years of Obama got us!" Razz

Tony.

Posts: 5374 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I'd bet the teacher not only knows what PETA does, but thinks it's swell, too.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Get the son a deer hunting coloring book to include a nice pic of the deer hanging up while being processed. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I'm no fan of PETA, but they are right when it comes to circus elephants. It is no way to treat an animal as intelligent as an elephant. And as large and used to roaming.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Throw a copy of this in his pack and use the PETA paper as a bookmark...

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3440 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I'm no fan of PETA, but they are right when it comes to circus elephants. It is no way to treat an animal as intelligent as an elephant. And as large and used to roaming.

I'm not doubting that. My objection is that those kinds of subjects are way too mature for a 7 year old to learn about and comprehend. And I object to radical groups feeding their ideology to my child without me knowing.

What's next; gender identity or racial oppression?

Tony.

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:

Tony.

Yes.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Not looking forward to having to deal with this sort of thing myself in a few years.

However, I bet your kid is smarter and more resilient than you give him credit for. They usually are.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Teach your children that there is room in our world for all of God's creatures. Right between the beans and mashed potatoes.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I'm not doubting that. My objection is that those kinds of subjects are way too mature for a 7 year old to learn about and comprehend. And I object to radical groups feeding their ideology to my child without me knowing.

Tony.

Tony this was my thought, be interested to see what she says, a conference with her and an administrator is a good idea to find out if she's a PETA devotee or just thought it was a cool book...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Tony.

Problem is, its not just the radical groups like PETA. Its the radical groups like the teachers' unions and the entire Department of Education, and its been going on for 25+ years.

I've told this story here before, but our second-grader came home from school one day in the fall of '92 and said at the dinner table, "Mrs. Cooper (his teacher) said that you should vote for Bill Clinton because he believes in a woman's right to choose." Seven years old and being indoctrinated by a commie. I did my utmost to have the rotten woman fired, but her equally as despicable husband was the superintendent of schools. It wasn't going to happen. We did have him switched to a different teacher though.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
If the book was focused on Ele, I have no objection. If page 2 of the coloring book starts moving to the rest of their agenda, then yea, I have a problem.

But the teacher should have asked the parents. I'd have cc'd the principal and the PTA(or whatever a private school has).

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I just found out an crucial bit of info. Apparently, one of the school administrators let in the PETA representative and they called a bunch of classes to the auditorium for an assembly. The PETA rep gave a presentation on the elephant and how it was abused, then they handed out the coloring books. The teachers had no warning and I'm not the only parent who is livid.

They will be hearing from me today.

Tony.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I just found out an crucial bit of info. Apparently, one of the school administrators let in the PETA representative and they called a bunch of classes to the auditorium for an assembly. The PETA rep gave a presentation on the elephant and how it was abused, then they handed out the coloring books. The teachers had no warning and I'm not the only parent who is livid.

They will be hearing from me today.

Tony.

Stay on top of that. The involved parent is also the parent that matters. If you're not apart of the process than the process will proceed without you. Having activist groups like PETA come in for a school assembly to push their agenda needs to be squashed, unfortunately the damage is done they got to speak in front of young, impressionable minds while giving away colorful books. You'll also need to do your part by informing your child the reality to these coloring books and such. There's good circus' and bad circus'...

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
If the book was focused on Ele, I have no objection. If page 2 of the coloring book starts moving to the rest of their agenda, then yea, I have a problem.

But the teacher should have asked the parents. I'd have cc'd the principal and the PTA(or whatever a private school has).

Drip...drip...drip, they start with the least objectionable position with the 2nd graders and grow influence. It shouldn't matter if you happen to not object with this one position, you are suggesting it is ok to begin to allow an extremist group to "educate" your child on "issues". Not no, but fuck no and stop it right now.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
While I have some personal opinions about circus animals, I take large issue with this material.

Schools should be providing information and teaching children HOW to think. Concepts and how to apply them. Distill information and make their own decisions.

They should NOT be telling children WHAT to think, especially not without presenting both sides of a debatable / contentious topic.

This includes when even a majority 'thinks' something is okay. A majority can be wrong.

Teachers / admin who thinks schools are an avenue for promoting their social/political agendas should be fired immediately. They are no longer teaching but indoctrinating.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I just unloaded on the pastor and the staff with offensive PETA images and all.

Tony.