SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trivial question. Fingerprints.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trivial question. Fingerprints. Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
On the premise that God or Nature is not random and that body features all have a purpose, why do we have fingerprints? Why not just normal featureless skin? Why are they relatively unique?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Gription.

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Grip....unique because we all grow based on our unique combination of DNA.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Grip. Interesting. Friction and siping? Or primarily siping? I wonder how effective it is relative to normal skin. Now I wonder if fingerprints were deeper in the beginning vs today. Functionally more important before civilization?

DNA I guess makes sense like how faces are difficult. But then again, not sure why it we couldn’t all have the same fingerprint just like kidney tissue or something.

Anyway, was just curious after watching something on tv. Thanks. Smile

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Grip. Interesting. Friction and siping? Or primarily siping? I wonder how effective it is relative to normal skin. Now I wonder if fingerprints were deeper in the beginning vs today. Functionally more important before civilization?

DNA I guess makes sense like how faces are difficult. But then again, not sure why it we couldn’t all have the same fingerprint just like kidney tissue or something.

Anyway, was just curious after watching something on tv. Thanks. Smile

Every part of every person is unique. If you measured people's kidneys thoroughly enough, you'd discover minute difference in density, size, shape, weight, orientation. We use fingerprints because the way we describe/measure/characterize them was easily standardized. We could have technically have used any other body part, but precision of measurement would have added additional room for error.

As for grip effectiveness, remember that your hands sweat but does not produce oil.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Fingerprints exist to enhance grip via friction. It's also not strictly related to DNA. Identical twins do not share fingerprints. Ridge detail is a combination of DNA, environmental effects in the womb, and pure old fashioned randomness.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Thinking about finger prints in an evolutionary sense, its hard to imagine a mutation of finger printed ancestors being naturally selected over smooth skin fingered population. Maybe we got them from alien ancestors.

It doesn't seem like the feature would be advantageous enough to eventually erase smooth skinned finger population. But it apparently has.

Since we come from birds and fish, It could be viewed as a subtle version of bird feet that are kind of gnarly and possibly for walking traction.

Posts: 7457 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
It's accepted that the reason our fingers wrinkle when waterlogged is to aid in gripping wet objects.

As for possible further evidence, has anyone ever burned their fingertip smooth? Even after the burn had healed, it does make gripping a pen troublesome, until the skin grows back.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
It's accepted that the reason our fingers wrinkle when waterlogged is to aid in gripping wet objects.

As for possible further evidence, has anyone ever burned their fingertip smooth? Even after the burn had healed, it does make gripping a pen troublesome, until the skin grows back.

Yep happened to me. Things kept jumping out of my hand like they were greased.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trivial question. Fingerprints.
What did you do?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Trivial question. Fingerprints.
What did you do?

Lie

Deny

Counter-accuse

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Natures barcode for humans.

Posts: 9513 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Fingerprint examiners call all skin with ridges (fingers, palms, toes, soles) “friction skin.” From an evolutionary standpoint, being able to hold onto things tightly and to walk or climb without slipping is extraordinarily critical to our survival, so friction on those surfaces is vital. As stated, even identical twins don’t have the same friction skin patterns (fingerprints), and I’ve never seen a detailed convincing explanation of why; most just seem to come down to “That’s what happens.”

(I don’t, BTW, believe that the skin on our fingers gets wrinkled from prolonged immersion in water to help gripping. If that were important, it should happen immediately. In any event, it seems to me it happens because the skin absorbs a little water and expands or gets bigger. That in turn means it must wrinkle to remain attached to the underlying tissue, and because it no longer fits properly.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Gription.

Yep.

If only we had the teeny little hairs (setae), too, we could climb walls like Spiderman.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I think it's also likely that, given the total human population at any given time, that there are repeats of fingerprints, or ones close enough that they seem the same.

Ever met your or your friend's doppelganger, a random unrelated stranger who looks just like your friend/cousin/etc? I've met several, over the years. I bet if we had a single database of every humans fingerprints you'd find several duplicates, even if its purely random. Bake a few billion apple pies, a few will no doubt come out exactly the same.

Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Doh! Isn't it obvious that without fingerprints one could not get their CCW? Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
We use fingerprints because the way we describe/measure/characterize them was easily standardized. We could have technically have used any other body part, but precision of measurement would have added additional room for error.

Look up Bertillon. He originated a method for identifying criminals by taking various measurements of their bodies. Of course, the variability involved was why it was superceded by fingerprinting.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I think it's also likely that, given the total human population at any given time, that there are repeats of fingerprints, or ones close enough that they seem the same.

It also depends on what method you use for matching fingerprints. IIRC, the investigation into the 2004 Madrid training bombings led to an American citizen because his prints matched those found at the scene. Except he had never been to Spain. As it turned out, European authorities used fewer points of reference for matching prints than is typically used in the US. They ultimately did lead to another, more plausible suspect.

Also, I believe I read a report a few years ago regarding the statistics involved in fingerprint analysis. As it turned out, the idea of fingerprints being unique was based more on assumption than scientific testing. Last I heard, there were researchers looking into testing the scientific validity of fingerprints' uniqueness.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
As an aside to the subject. It's interesting to google animals that have fingerprints. And to discover that Kola's fingerprints are almost identical to humans even under microscopic examination..........So that fingerprint of a killer might just be a KOLA !! Wink

Posts: 4411 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
The *only* way to know for *certain* if they are 100% unique, even if only limited to those humans who are currently alive, is to have a single database of them all, and to do a *comprehensive* analysis of the entire set. Beyond that, it's *nothing* but an assumption.

And we haven't even come close to either collecting them all, or having a single database, or doing such a comprehensive analysis. Sure, they *might* be unique, but we don't know, and the people saying so (mostly law enforcement) have a vested interest in it being true.

It may be more reliable than, cough, a polygraph, but it's *hardly* a sure thing.

Not even close, given the current state of research.

Too much CSI and the like has tainted our expectations.

Thankfully, it's just one piece of the puzzle.

Like eyewitness testimony, it's seems like it would be reliable, but it definitely is not.