SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Share your car detailing tips and secrets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Share your car detailing tips and secrets Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted
To anyone that cleans and details their own vehicle, what tips, secrets, or voodoo do you employ to get it done right?

I have a couple of them that are centered around the carpet. I have both kids and pets, and pet hair, crumbs, and general filth are a pain to remove.

Pet hair is the worst. As are the tight spaces that a vacuum wand, no matter how narrow, can never fully reach. I figured out a good trick to handle both. You can spend a huge amount of time vaccing the same spot and watch hair barely budge.

Cut the bristles on your old toothbrush down to about 1/4” to 3/8”. Scrubbing your carpet with a vacuum tip near will pull more hair out of the fiber than you would believe. The bristles collect it like a, well, dog brush, and what it does not gets sucked up. The ones with mixed bristle types, or silicone, really pull it out.

A regular toothbrush reaches crevices that suction alone can’t clean. Especially between bucket seats and consoles...again with the vacuum close by.

Anyone else have some good ideas?

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
bigdeal is our resident car detailing guru...
In his own words:
quote:
I'm not a pro detailer, but as a compulsive amateur for the past 20 years, who's managed to detail some pretty nice Ferrari's, Porsche's, and other high end autos, I've tried products from just about every line out there. The simple reality is that you need not spend ridiculous amounts of money on product to get excellent results.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...250011024#8250011024

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Two words: Zaino Bros.

http://www.zainostore.com/

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Park it in a hermetically sealed garage.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Why bother?

Filth adds character.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Don't dismiss the folks talking about de-ionized water as whackos. It is a game changer if you can swing the costs of unit/filters. Also don't have to use for any other than final rinse to get the effect. Microspots are gone, which gives much better shine on freshly waxed or old worn surfaces needing a fresh coat.

Dual buckets. Every time. Also if car is fairly dirty I'll take a first swipe of panel with mitt and so little pressure it's barely touching to remove grime, flip to other side and use enough pressure to clean. Rinse, repeat. Cuts down a lot on the swirls.

Wipe down door/hood/trunk channels and sills every time. Won't make a huge difference each time but the cumulative effect is when you or others are getting in/out (or selling!) it's another area that always looks just like new.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I wish someone would wax my Subaru.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
In my case, it's about finding the best detailer for the price. I found that guy and have him work on my car once a year for $160. Good for him, great for me. Smile

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
In my case, it's about finding the best detailer for the price. I found that guy and have him work on my car once a year for $160. Good for him, great for me. Smile

Jim

I just had pros detail my new ride, a 2005 Tacoma, that had 13 years of dirt and crud built up, even though it was very well maintained.

For 190$ the interior looks like it was 6 months old now, just such an incredible difference, and the exterior they got all the scuffs and such off with a beautiful job.

Yeah, I can keep it pretty clean myself, but I can see maybe every 18 months to two years, taking it back to bring it up to tip top shape.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
In my case, it's about finding the best detailer for the price. I found that guy and have him work on my car once a year for $160. Good for him, great for me.

According to Orguss, standard is 300 bucks. Your price sounds closer to what I would pay.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Pledge Furnature Polish. It makes the interior shine and repels dust on the dashboard for a month or so. It even does a good job on leather seats.

I’ve found that you have to buy Pledge, as some of the knock offs leave a greasy film.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being OCD and loving clean things I caught the detailing bug about 10 years ago.

I will also endorse the 2 bucket system...between that and my foam cannon I feel like I introduce no new dirt during the process.

As far as products, I seem to gravitate towards Poorboys and Chemical Guys for all things exterior.

For interior I actually use, and love, LA's Totally Awesome....Yup, the stuff at the dollar store! I use it to pre treat carpet and on all interior messes!

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How do you manage liquid wax residue on exterior plastic trim.

I seldom wax anymore but decided to wax my 9 month old white truck with lots of black plastic trim and vinyl tonneau cover. Using motorized oscillating buffer with applicator bonnet got many white specs spread around. Once the specs dried they were a pain to remove.

Fill like masking and using drop cloth to cover the remainder would have help. Found a trim rejuivinator help remove but what a mess.

How do you handle it.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Masking tape does wonders to remove dog fur. Wink

A soft tooth brush for removing wax residue from between logos and letters added to the body.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hangtime:

I seldom wax anymore but decided to wax my 9 month old white truck with lots of black plastic trim and vinyl tonneau cover. Using motorized oscillating buffer with applicator bonnet got many white specs spread around. Once the specs dried they were a pain to remove.

Fill like masking and using drop cloth to cover the remainder would have help. Found a trim rejuivinator help remove but what a mess.

How do you handle it.

I mask off (with blue painter's tape) the trim and other areas where wax should not be.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Two words: Zaino Bros.

http://www.zainostore.com/

I agree. Use Zaino. They are not demanding products to use, and are excellent.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
In my case, it's about finding the best detailer for the price. I found that guy and have him work on my car once a year for $160. Good for him, great for me.

According to Orguss, standard is 300 bucks. Your price sounds closer to what I would pay.

No wax or engine cleanup. It probably would be $300 if I had him do that.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hangtime:

A friend of mine who owns a body shop recommended using paint thinner to remove wax residue.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have watched Larry's videos and it has helped me.

https://www.ammonyc.com/

"You can take your pistol and stick it so far up your ass, the muzzle of it is visible when you cough."

Posts: 1248 | Registered: February 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigforall:
I have watched Larry's videos and it has helped me.

https://www.ammonyc.com/
Larry is indeed the man. I too have learned a lot from watching his videos. Have even swapped a couple emails with him over time.

Zaino is a very good product line. It is not however a magic bullet or the only excellent product line on the market.

As to secrets or tips, where to start. Probably the best basic tips are....

- Only wash in the shade.
- Work clean - change your buckets frequently, and if you drop anything, replace it.
- Complete all drying, waxing, and finish detailing in an enclosed garage.
- Visit detailing forums, read, and ask questions.

That's where I'd start a newbie off. But understand, even after 20+ years of detailing cars, trying a myriad of different products, and constantly asking questions and learning, I'm still learning. If you're passionate about it, detailing is a never ending learning curve.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post