SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is a BMW R100/7 hard to work on? **guess I will know soon**
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is a BMW R100/7 hard to work on? **guess I will know soon** Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Clip ons? I am out. Looks like a cool project.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Clip ons? I am out. Looks like a cool project.

Not quite "clip Ons' but a one piece flat bar on the RS.

The BMW R100RS was designed for high speed at long distance. A favorite bike for European Police departments.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It will have clipons when I am finished. First I'm gonna get it sorted mechanicalally then it's losing lots of bars and weight and looking more like one of these machines.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
The snowflake wheels have a reputation for being a bit soft and leaking air. Rumor is they were designed for German roads, (which are very wel paved), and didn't work out too well on some US roads.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Mine will need new rubber. The tires are not looking good. I'm tempted to go all black and have the wheels painted or powdercoated black.

I got a manual with the bike that is probably 2 inches thick. It's a neat bike. It feels like it carries its weight low. There are plenty of areas to shed weight on what already feels like a surprisingly light motorcycle.

It's cool. The engine just sticks out on both sides....with the streamlined cooling fins it's unique.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since this is a project, consider converting the single headlight to LED. Retro Cafe is cool but I want maximum light out front. I have added a set of Clearwater lights to my BMW. Expensive, but worth every penny. Lots of deer here in the Yoop.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:

The BMW RS fairing in 1977 was the first of it's kind at that time was the best piece of long distance fairing on the market. DO NOT destroy it.

Back then it was about the only factory fairing. If you're determined to make this a "café racer," at least recover it intact and either keep it or sell it. Someone who has busted theirs up would probably be happy to get it.

Posts: 27928 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This bike is a classic in the rough, go slowly with your plans!
Before you rule out the fairing, ride behind it for a bit after you get the bike up and running, BMW made some of the best fairings that are not too big but allow excellent rider protection from rain and the air flow characteristics are very good as these were designed to be ridden on the Autobahn. That bike will not be anything like the ones you have been riding but will cover a lot of distance in a relatively short time because it is comfortable to ride for extended periods at speed for as long as you care to. It is not a quick machine but it is a fast machine.
Again get some seat time before you change it too much and keep all the things you think you don't want like the fairing and bag mounts as they will be expensive to replace if you later decide that the folks in Deutschland were right about how the thing should have been built. And yes, I agree the backrest must go but if the wife rides she may differ.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2888 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Cool bike!
Where do you keep them all? Wink

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I'm just about at capacity. Honesty, I'm thinking I should probably ditch my R1 now that it's running good. That Yamaha is just too damn fast....it is trouble. Im thinking about selling the trusty SV also. Then I'll pick up a low mile BMW R Nine T and begin getting this R100 fixed up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
The snowflake wheels have a reputation for being a bit soft and leaking air. Rumor is they were designed for German roads, (which are very wel paved), and didn't work out too well on some US roads.

The real reason is they were originally designed to be used with inner tube type tires NOT tubeless tires.
Justification for what others have attempted to do after the fact may have been the reason for the "rumor".

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
Stick,

Congrats. I've wanted an airhead for sometime, too.

Don't get rid of the SV. I regret when I sold mine. I love my Buell XB12S that replaced it, but I look for another SV almost every day.

Todd

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Since this is a project, consider converting the single headlight to LED.

The alternators on the airhead BMW's barely keep pace with the bike's draw at idle. Sitting at a stop light with the brake light on and a signal light blinking and you can actually see the battery charge gauge sink further and further in to the red. I started using LED bulbs in the brake and tail light and my low speed charging problems went away. An LED headlight can only help this issue even further.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of notarex
posted Hide Post
I found my 78 R100S to be a well thought out and comfortable long distance/high speed (relatively) traveling companion. You may find yourself digging that fairing once you take the crap off the back. Make sure you do the oilfilter and clutch splines the way the old airhead guys do them, they're a little tricky and costly to fix what happens if done wrong.

Posts: 498 | Location: NH | Registered: August 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it's a solid bike. My R1 project is done and my other project bike is daunting so I'm gonna focus on getting this old BMW running and road worthy then I'll worry about the fairing and aesthetic.

I've wanted a BMW R series bike for so long! This is gonna be fun!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~