SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Internet Sales Tax Probably Coming Thanks To The Supreme Court
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Internet Sales Tax Probably Coming Thanks To The Supreme Court Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Good. It's about time. People are supposed to be paying it anyways as "use tax", but never do.
I haven't run into a site that doesn't charge sales tax for quite some time. I do pay use tax with my monthly sales tax retorts when necessary though.
 
Posts: 40213 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do pay use tax with my monthly sales tax retorts when necessary though.



The state of Missouri audits small businesses on this. I was just at a restaurant the other day when the owner brought it up in conversation. She said her husband did all of the maintenance and usually purchased the supplies online. She said the fine was rather unpleasant.


quote:
The only problem I have with internet sales or use taxes is that it feels like a jurisdiction is collecting taxes without providing any corresponding service. The state isn’t providing police or fire protection for the out of state warehouse, but wants all the taxes, while the local jurisdiction to the wharehouse must provide the local services.


The way it is now neither jurisdiction is getting the money to pay for services.


________________________



www.zykansafe.com
 
Posts: 12466 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Taxed
Enough
Already
 
Posts: 14483 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
I'm glad some of you are happy about more taxes Roll Eyes

Just more of my money that will be pissed away on government bullshit.

Even if it is for the small chirens businesses.




When in doubt, pinky out.
 
Posts: 2830 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
The prospect of a 'level playing field' for small business sounds all well and good, but does anyone here think the States will actually do something useful with this additional revenue?

I'm skeptical, very skeptical.

I believe most state governments have devolved into insatiable black holes of spending and borrowing. And I hate to keep feeding the Leviathan.


----------------------------------
The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics. - Thomas Sowell
 
Posts: 2157 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
I don't care who collects it, so long as it is collected. That's the current problem. People buy online, believe it's "tax free", and don't pay the taxes owed.


Horseshit. Feel free to make up my end.




When in doubt, pinky out.
 
Posts: 2830 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
Yeah.

That's what I need.

More fucking taxes.

Fucking brilliant. Close all the loopholes. Suck every drop of blood out of me. Then you'll have lots more to spend on corrupt vote buying programs and socialist government. Lots more government. Financed by lots more tax revenue.

You guys who are in favor of this -- what the fuck is wrong with you?


Thanks,

Sap
 
Posts: 3293 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I think some of you guys are not taking the time to read or understand what is going on here.

NO. NEW. TAXES.

There are no new taxes. There is no "paying more than you owe". ALL OF THESE TAXES ARE DUE, AND YOU'RE NOT PAYING THEM!

This has to do with who is collecting what you already owe.


quote:
Horseshit. Feel free to make up my end.


Make up your end of what? YOU OWE THE TAX.

Here's the law in your state: https://www.ok.gov/tax/All_Taxes/Sales_&_Use_Tax/


quote:
You guys who are in favor of this -- what the fuck is wrong with you?


Not paying sales tax on out of state purchases isn't a loophole. As I have tried to explain several times over, it is the law.

Using a loophole to reduce your tax liability is one thing. Flat our not filing your taxes is another, and that's exactly what those who aren't paying these taxes are doing.


________________________



www.zykansafe.com
 
Posts: 12466 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Stop buying from Amazon. Amazon has its affiliate system, front ending smaller etailers all over the country. Someone ruled that where ever the have an affiliate they have a physical nexus, and therefore must collect sales tax for that state. So find a direct etailer that isn't in your state, and they won't collect sales tax.

quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
I don't remember the last internet purchase I made where I DIDN'T pay state tax. Amazon started doing this years ago and most places followed suit.
 
Posts: 17502 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
It will be interesting how this goes down, I am a full time RVr with my home state SD. If I order an Item as a gift and I am currently in Texas, and I have it sent to My daughter in Florida what state tax will be paid? My home state, the state of a Texas, or Florida state tax?


ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Posts: 2862 | Location: Where ever the tires are touching, South TX | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Congress knows the about the issue, could authorize national collection of state sales taxes, and has chosen not to.

quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
But a state has no authority to force a retailer in another state collect sales tax for them, unless congress authorizes it (which congress hasn't.) This was pretty clearly settled.


I don't care who collects it, so long as it is collected. That's the current problem. People buy online, believe it's "tax free", and don't pay the taxes owed.
 
Posts: 17502 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
It will be interesting how this goes down, I am a full time RVr with my home state SD. If I order an Item as a gift and I am currently in Texas, and I have it sent to My daughter in Florida what state tax will be paid? My home state, the state of a Texas, or Florida state tax?


I would think Texas. No different than if you went down the street to the store, bought it, and shipped it yourself.

quote:
Congress knows the about the issue, could authorize national collection of state sales taxes, and has chosen not to.


And at the same time, states are aware of the issue and have passed laws requiring the payment of use tax. I believe there are only 4 or 5 states in the US that do not have sales/use tax. Everybody else is breaking the law when they don't pay it.

What's going to happen when the state AGs start getting sales lists for those in their states, checking their records, and mailing out nasty grams with large fines attached?


________________________



www.zykansafe.com
 
Posts: 12466 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
This will help the local shops too since the tax disadvantage would be gone. Something the retail industry has been screaming for.

They can scream all they want, but taxes are but a small part of why people buy on-line. They don't matter in my decisions one whit.




"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
 
Posts: 12753 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
It will be interesting how this goes down, I am a full time RVr with my home state SD. If I order an Item as a gift and I am currently in Texas, and I have it sent to My daughter in Florida what state tax will be paid? My home state, the state of a Texas, or Florida state tax?



I would think Texas. No different than if you went down the street to the store, bought it, and shipped it yourself.

quote:
Congress knows the about the issue, could authorize national collection of state sales taxes, and has chosen not to.


And at the same time, states are aware of the issue and have passed laws requiring the payment of use tax. I believe there are only 4 or 5 states in the US that do not have sales/use tax. Everybody else is breaking the law when they don't pay it.

What's going to happen when the state AGs start getting sales lists for those in their states, checking their records, and mailing out nasty grams with large fines attached?


Why Texas the item I bought is not in Texas it’s let’s say Ohio. I am just in the State of Texas as I pass through traveling down the road using my hot spot.


ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Posts: 2862 | Location: Where ever the tires are touching, South TX | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why Texas the item I bought is not in Texas it’s let’s say Ohio. I am just in the State of Texas as I pass through traveling down the road using my hot spot.



You actually have a valid point. The reason use taxes are called use taxes is because the items being purchased are used within that state. In your case, the item isn't being used in your state. That said, if you physically went into a store in any of those states you would pay tax at the register regardless of where your gift was ultimately being used.

I always thought it would be easier to require all retailers to simply collect sales tax wherever they were located. But by making that the rule, you'll see these large companies setting up flimsy presences in non sales tax states to try to skirt the tax issue.


________________________



www.zykansafe.com
 
Posts: 12466 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
Why Texas the item I bought is not in Texas it’s let’s say Ohio. I am just in the State of Texas as I pass through traveling down the road using my hot spot.



You actually have a valid point. The reason use taxes are called use taxes is because the items being purchased are used within that state. In your case, the item isn't being used in your state.

I always thought it would be easier to require all retailers to simply collect sales tax wherever they were located. But by making that the rule, you'll see these large companies setting up flimsy presences in non sales tax states to try to skirt the tax issue.


Like I said this could be interesting


ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Posts: 2862 | Location: Where ever the tires are touching, South TX | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:

quote:
The only problem I have with internet sales or use taxes is that it feels like a jurisdiction is collecting taxes without providing any corresponding service. The state isn’t providing police or fire protection for the out of state warehouse, but wants all the taxes, while the local jurisdiction to the wharehouse must provide the local services.


The way it is now neither jurisdiction is getting the money to pay for services.


True, but that alone is independent of the justification for the tax. It's a different conversation altogether.



[i]
 
Posts: 5140 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I'm just as opposed to paying in state sales tax.

They tax it when I get it and tax it when I spend it. Theft.


_____________________________________________________
Sliced bread, the greatest thing since the 1911.

 
Posts: 14940 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I can't believe how many people here dont understand it doesnt matter what SCOTUS says, they dont regulate taxes, so its a moot point. This means nothing, and will change nothing. Because I live in Ga, I do not have to pay ANY out of state tax when I am buying within my own state. Otherwise, I'm being taxed without my consent or being represented, since its not a native to my state tax. And somewhere IIRC there was a war fought over this. Not sure though.


I am Groot
 
Posts: 382 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
I can't believe how many people here dont understand it doesnt matter what SCOTUS says, they dont regulate taxes, so its a moot point. This means nothing, and will change nothing. Because I live in Ga, I do not have to pay ANY out of state tax when I am buying within my own state. Otherwise, I'm being taxed without my consent or being represented, since its not a native to my state tax. And somewhere IIRC there was a war fought over this. Not sure though.


What are you talking about? Confused

The issues at hand is whether or not a state such as Georgia can compel a company in another state to collect Georgia sales/use tax on sales made to Georgia residents such as youself. It's a tax already on the books of your state that you owe. It would be collected from Georgia residents and remitted to the government of Georgia no different than if you had made your purchase from a retailer in Georgia.

The crux of the problem is enforcement. There is no way to enforce use tax on out of state purchases. In Florida, for example, it isn't feasible to audit 22 million people.
 
Posts: 3392 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4 5  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Internet Sales Tax Probably Coming Thanks To The Supreme Court

© SIGforum 2018