SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ever wonder what happens inside a suppressor?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever wonder what happens inside a suppressor? Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted
Well, now you'll know... Pretty cool. Man you could have some fun with a high speed camera as part of your design process.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Cool! (I could do without the food ad, though.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I got to meet Destin in Lander, Wyoming the day before the eclipse. Nice guy. The reason YouTubers put ads in the video the way he does is because Youtube has no control over that ad revenue. And he puts his sponsors/ads at the end of his videos so you don't have to watch them if you don't want to; you've seen most of the content by that point.

Posts: 11152 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
(I could do without the food ad, though.)

As annoying as it may be, it's how the people that made the video make money.

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's just a muffler.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Fascinating.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I've been around gun suppressors since the late 1960s, military and civilian, and I've NEVER seen ANY kind of a suppressor get fitted over a flash hider.

About 25% of the 400+ members of our gun club have one or more of the things - in some parts of this crowded little island, night shooting - even day shooting - without a suppressor is a no-no. But they ALL go onto or over a threaded muzzle, not another muzzle attachment.

Have we somehow gotten it wrong?

tac

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
I've been around gun suppressors since the late 1960s, military and civilian, and I've NEVER seen ANY kind of a suppressor get fitted over a flash hider.

About 25% of the 400+ members of our gun club have one or more of the things - in some parts of this crowded little island, night shooting - even day shooting - without a suppressor is a no-no. But they ALL go onto or over a threaded muzzle, not another muzzle attachment.

tac

The Yankee Hill flash hider is a design that offers the best of both worlds- a top notch flash hider, and an immediate attachment point for threaded cans. Also, as you can see in the slo-mo, the flash hider slots are included in the first stage of gas redirection, perturbation, and diffusion.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
'The Yankee Hill flash hider is a design that offers the best of both worlds- a top notch flash hider, and an immediate attachment point for threaded cans. Also, as you can see in the slo-mo, the flash hider slots are included in the first stage of gas redirection, perturbation, and diffusion.'

Ah, right.

Thanks for the information.

I guess that means that I could, in theory, get a suppressor that would fit my G3 flash-hider-equipped Krico 650S...or maybe not.

tac

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

tac

It depends on what the firearm will be used for.

Having the suppressor attach over the top of a muzzle device allows the user to:

1) protect the threads of the barrel when the suppressor is off;

2) preserve the utility of the non-suppressor muzzle attachment (the functionality of a brake or FH)*;

3) shorten the gun at will and still have some muzzle device utility;

4) Having the suppressor attach to a muzzle device means you can have different thread pitches on your different bbls, but still use the same suppressor, so long as the muzzle attachments have the same external attachment scheme as each other.

For example, you can use a Silencerco Saker 7.62 on a 7.62 rifle that is threaded 5/8x24 at the barrel and on a 5.56 rifle that is threaded 1/2x28 at the barrel, because the can attaches to flash hiders or brakes that have the same external dimensions, even though, on the inside, they are threaded 5/8x24 and 1/2x28.

This is a bigger deal for us because of the $200 tax stamp and lengthy NFA registration process. In other countries, you'd just buy another suppressor for that gun. It should be that way here too, but...politicians...

*Yes, I know that a suppressor is a better flash hider than a traditional flash hider and a better brake than most, if not all brakes. But if you have to take the suppressor off, you may still want a flash hider or brake.

Also, the brakes inside suppressors help preserve the blast baffle of the suppressor, particularly in short-barreled rifles because the brake winds up absorbing most of the unburnt powder.

The trade off is accuracy. For an SBR, that's not a big deal. But on something like a bolt action rifle, it's better to have a direct thread. Each point of attachment is a point of articulation, which can reduce accuracy. It's more easy to be accurate with a direct-thread than it is to have a suppressor that attaches to a muzzle device that attaches to the barrel.

Also, it costs more to have those two points of articulation because you have to buy the muzzle device on top of the suppressor.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for the detailed explanation. The rationale behind all this can be justified in the USA by the fact that you have semi-auto centrefire long arms, whereas we do not.

None of our Civilian Service Rifle comps allow the use of a suppressor, although most, if not all, of the guns we use DO have flash-hiders, as they are simply straight-pull versions of popular semi-autos just like those that YOU have. The few bolt-action rifles here with flash hiders may want to fit a suppressor, but it's very unlikely.

My Krico 650S has a G3 flash hider, and all it does is collect clag from the gases as they pass out of the muzzle, but it's a RPITA to remove, so I suffer with pipe cleaners and patience after a shooting session...

tac

Picture of BradleyS
posted Hide Post
Cool video, thanks for posting.

Isaiah 6:8

Posts: 618 | Location: Salisbury | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Many thanks for the detailed explanation. The rationale behind all this can be justified in the USA by the fact that you have semi-auto centrefire long arms, whereas we do not.

None of our Civilian Service Rifle comps allow the use of a suppressor, although most, if not all, of the guns we use DO have flash-hiders, as they are simply straight-pull versions of popular semi-autos just like those that YOU have. The few bolt-action rifles here with flash hiders may want to fit a suppressor, but it's very unlikely.

My Krico 650S has a G3 flash hider, and all it does is collect clag from the gases as they pass out of the muzzle, but it's a RPITA to remove, so I suffer with pipe cleaners and patience after a shooting session...

tac

you won't find a suppressor to fit over your flash hider, but the YHM (Yankee Hill Machine) suppressors come with a flash hider that will use the existing threads of the flash hider on your G3.

I changed the flash hider on my 10.5 inch LMT 5.56 AR upper, and on my Sig M-400 to the YHM flash hider, and I had the barrel threaded on my 24 inch Bushmaster Varminter so I could add the YHM flash hider/quick disconnect for the can.

I am debating buying another flash hider/quick disconnect and then having the barrel of my Savage .17HMR threaded so that I can use my 5.56 suppressor on that rifle too.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lizardman_u:
you won't find a suppressor to fit over your flash hider, but the YHM (Yankee Hill Machine) suppressors come with a flash hider that will use the existing threads of the flash hider on your G3.

Lizardman, I don't have a G3, I have a Krico 650S, a 1980's-style SWAT counter-sniper bolt-action rifle that came out of the factory with a G3 flash-hider on it.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/mgm-c...super_sniper_640.jpg

Trust me, I'm not looking for any kind of suppressor, let alone one that has to come from the USA with a horrendous ITAR tax add-on to it.

tac

Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Most of Elite Iron's cans are made to function over their muzzle break/flash hider. They work great!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
I think just about every suppressor manufacturer has quick connect mounts for most of their suppressors. I have Surefire and Silencerco suppressors and all mount on quick connects.

In both cases the threaded/quick connect device can be had in flash hider or brake configurations.

surefire

A lot if not all of the dedicated 22 rimfire cans are threaded if I remember correctly

Mark

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
(I could do without the food ad, though.)

As annoying as it may be, it's how the people that made the video make money.

Yessireebob. And those cameras start around $60k.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Cool video, thanks for sharing

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post