SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Canon/Nikon Shooters - Suggestions Please?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Canon/Nikon Shooters - Suggestions Please? Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
My wife wants a camera, thinks she wants a Rebel, but I wanted to ask here before making a purchase.
What do our resident Canon shooters like for a starter package or a body/lens recommendation for a new shooter?

I'm completely happy with my Nikon D70S, but she doesn't like it. Confused
Not sure on budget, since my Nikon was a gift, I have no idea what to ex0ect on pricing, but don't need super-pro level equipment.

Thanks

Edit: if available, I think she'd prefer a more compact body, since she doesn't typically carry a purse/bag. A smaller body than my D70S would be a plus.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
get her a used 50d or 60d from KEH.com or B&H photo. More camera for the dollar.

But I must confess to being a Pentax shooter Smile

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I’m deeply disappointed. Frown

I opened this thread hoping to learn about real live cannons. You know, black powder and all that. Instead, it is about Cannons, a whole nuther thing...

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
SL1 or SL2 are going to be the most compact that use regular Canon EF and EF-S lenses. They are also budget consumer models that offer a good feature set as well as auto modes. For the most part same sensor and a reduced feature set than the other Rebels in a more compact body.

Going to a T#i Rebel will give more advanced AF system, and some other features that may or may not be of use.

SL1 is 18mp, SL2 is 24mp. Both are touch screen, SL2 is an articulated rear screen where SL1 is fixed. SL1 is about 4 years old and has recently been discontinued, but can still be found new. SL2 was released earlier this year and is more current tech with better ISO capabilities and the current Digic 7 processor. SL2 is currently the lowest priced current Canon DSLR body.

Bhphoto has the two lens kits priced at $599 for SL1 and $849 for SL2. Personally, for the price difference, I’d go with the SL2. Kits have the same 18-55mm STM lens, but the SL2 has the 55-250mm STM Lens instead of the 75-300mm lens that come with the SL1. SL2 zips several steps ahead tech wise and I think the 55-250mm is the better lens.

If that is too much, it can be had with just the 18-55mm lens for $700.

If you want smaller, the EOS M5/6 is a great camera. It is Canon’s mirrorless body and uses a different lens mount (EF-M). With a $45 adapter, it can also use “regular” EF and EF-S lenses. Features are on par with the 80D, Canon’s current top end “prosumer” body. It is quite a bit more money though.

If you really want a screaming deal, SL2 with 18-55mm lens and large format Canon printer for $399 after $350 mail in rebate. I can’t vouch for the company, but they are Canon authorized dealer according to canonpricewatch.com where the link came from.

http://www.focuscamera.com/can...12&utm_term=11192348

Nikon D70 was my first DSLR and while it was a game changer and revolutionary, by today’s standards it is a dinosaur.

Good luck, hope this helps.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10938 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:

I opened this thread hoping to learn about real live cannons. You know, black powder and all that. Instead, it is about Cannons, a whole nuther thing...

You're not the only one

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Husbands and wives should have camera equipment from the same family so they can share lenses, batteries, flashes, and everything else. You know - reducing costs. Unless there is a very good reason for not wanting to share accessories.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Well to start, did you ask her what she doesnt like about the Nikon?

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
Get her to try the different camera bodies to see how they feel in her hands. IMHO the camera body (be it Canon or Nikon) that fits the hand will be used more.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
1) Why not stick with Nikon? Share lenses, accessories, etc.

2) Newer entry level Nikon D3400, D3500 will be more compact than the D70s.

3) If you have got to leave Nikon, and a primary concern is compactness, you should consider a mirrorless camera. DSLR cameras will never be as compact as a mirrorless because, well, it's gotta make room for the mirror--the extra distance between the lens and the sensor plane translates to much larger lenses and a larger body. Consider a micro four-thirds mirrorless from Olympus or Panasonic, or an APS-C sized mirrorless from Fuji or Sony. Canon is finally getting into the mirrless game as well, but I've not really checked it out yet.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:

Big Grin +2

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Canon G1X Mark 2 is a wonderful all in one camera. it would make creativity possible and fit in purse.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:

There's a forum on graybeardoutdoors dot com about black powder cannons and such. I know one of the members there... absolutely fascinating stuff!

God bless America.

Posts: 13495 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks so far guys, trying to be a bit discreet with it as a potential Christmas gift.
Seems the Canon preferenceis due to a perceived user friendliness of the Canon over Nikon.

Will have to get her to try a few on & see what fits.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
So, digging into this more.

What would be the current equivalent of the D70S?
Browsing around, it would seem its descendant would be the D7500?

Looking at 911Boss' suggestion, it looks like the Nikon equivalent of the EOS SL2 would be the Nikon D5600?

Will have to get her to Best Buy or similar to get these in her hands to try, and to see if the perceived user-unfriendliness of the Nikon holds true for her. As mentioned in this thread, the ability to share equipment would be nice.

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
So, digging into this more.

What would be the current equivalent of the D70S?
Browsing around, it would seem its descendant would be the D7500?

Looking at 911Boss' suggestion, it looks like the Nikon equivalent of the EOS SL2 would be the Nikon D5600?

Will have to get her to Best Buy or similar to get these in her hands to try, and to see if the perceived user-unfriendliness of the Nikon holds true for her. As mentioned in this thread, the ability to share equipment would be nice.

If you're considering where it is placed in Nikon's lineup of cameras, the D7500 is about where the D70S was when it was released.

ANY current DSLR will dramatically outperform your D70S, though. Pictures will look better at ISO 6400 on the new camera than they do at ISO 400 on the D70S.

I've never really shot with a Canon, but I don't find anything un-user-friendly about Nikon. About all you really need to figure out is how to set it to shoot in RAW, which you only have to do once, how to change the ISO, and how to twist the little knob that has "P" "A" "S" "M" and then a bunch of little pictures representing shooting modes you'll never use.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I pretty much only use M on my Nikon. Got maybe 2/3 through Understanding Exposure (still should go back & finish it).
I'll have to get her hands on with them & see, but maybe I can keep it Nikon. Would definitely help as time goes on, as I have a little Nikon connection for a discount. Cool

Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Sit down with your wife at a computer and go to

http://snapsort.com/

There you can plug in your requirements (size, price, pixels, etc.) and then compare the results.

Then, when you've got it narrowed down, go to a camera store (if there is one near you) and put your hands on them. The feel of a camera is the single strongest selling point.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Had a Nikon back in college and wasn't happy with it's color rendering. Switched to Canon after someone on my travel study to Germany let me play with his. My latest is a Canon 77D.

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started with Nikon using a Nikkormat FS and it still works today.

My first digital Nikon was the D70 and those who state that it's antiquated are right on the mark. One fault of hte D70 that is rarely mentioned is the infrared sensitivity of this model. Take a picture of a "blushing bride" in low light with a D70 and you'll be seeing cheeks about as red as beets. However when used in full daylight with well lit subjects it was a rather good performer for a 6mp camera. Another plus I could still use Nikkors that dated back to the time that Nikkormat FS was made.

BTW, any antique Nikkor MUST be upgraded to the AIS aperture ring profile or simply mounting the lens will break the coupling ring on the camera body. Good news for me is that as I progressed in the Nikon system during the late 70's I took the time to order AIS conversion kits for my lenses and upgrade them to the new aperture ring. End result I can still use my 1965 vintage 50mm f2 Nikkor-H on my D750 with full metering and all the glory of one of history's finest 50mm general purpose lenses.

Obviously I lean rather strongly in the direction of Nikon. Some good news is that they have a rather wide selection of cameras and all of them are quite good, even the tiny little point and shoot models. However Canon also makes excellent cameras and to be honest you cannot go bad with either brand. My advice would be to locate a good, old fashioned, Camera Shop that isn't an "area" in some Big Box Store. Then spend time with a salesman handling every model he thinks might do well for your wife. If you want to get serious about Photography you really need to spend time handling a variety of options just the way you would try out a variety of handguns before making the final choice.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
Here is another good place that might help you make a decision.

http://cameradecision.com/

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post