SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tell me about the Apple watch
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about the Apple watch Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My wife loves hers. Wears it all the time. She has a busy job, can't use the phone much. So a glance at the watch keeps her up to speed with family and friends, text and email.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1126 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife loves hers. I believe the feature that she really likes is the ability to answer her phone with minimal distractions while driving. Seems trivial to me but not to her.

Posts: 7547 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My kid was gifted one and I looked into the second version for myself. Since no one talked about fitness much, I will. The apple2 version is very nice. It is waterproof for swims and has built in GPS for runs, bikes, etc. These two items are huge for training. Short of Garmin style trainers most of these "watches" just link to the GPS in your phone. That means if you bike or run you still have to carry your phone to get the info. The Apple2 does away with that. It is all there in the watch, leave your 700 dollar phone at home where it belongs (imo).

As for Garmins, I have one for running. It too needs to be charged. A lot. I think that is just a function of GPS using lots of electrons and any colorful display that lights up every time you glance at your wrist is going to use battery power. My Garmin is also very slow to acquire satellites. The apple is supposed to be pretty quick.

I don't swim much but I like that I can and I love that if it is waterproof for swimming, my sweat isn't going to kill it.

Disclosure: I hate fitbits. I think they are stupid. Logging steps and sleep is a panacea for fitness. It is the classic Diet Coke and a Snickers mentality. I can get fit by counting steps (oversimplification on my part). Many disagree with me.

Posts: 7460 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
And I'm a big iPhone fan, I just don't understand the point of these things at all.

Like I said: I've an ASUS ZenWatch2. It was $150 at Best Buy. Had it for a little over a year.

It was handy for screening calls. Unrecognized? Swipe to dismiss. Received a text? Look to see it it needs to be dealt with now. Yes? Quick answer? Use voice response. Tired of the watch face? Change it. Mostly stuff like that. But, the most useful feature was adding an app that reminded me to get up and move every hour if I got in less than X steps in the hour previous.

Would I do it again? Hard to say. I miss it, but, I don't know if I $150 miss it.

Since the ZenWatch2 doesn't do as much with Apple's iOS as it does with Android (it is running Android Wear, after all), I'm almost certainly going to sell it. If I can sell it and get a used/refurbished Apple watch in the same functional and cosmetic condition without taking too big a hit in the exchange, I'll probably do that. If not: I'll just do without.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
My wife loves hers. I believe the feature that she really likes is the ability to answer her phone with minimal distractions while driving. Seems trivial to me but not to her.

Oh I agree with your wife... Plus in this thread I learned that if I use apple maps? that I can get quickie turn notifications without phone at the ready

Posts: 912 | Location: Tucker, Ga. | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post