SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tell me about the Apple watch
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about the Apple watch Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
What do I need to know about apple's watch before buying one?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
You need to know why you really need one. I can't seem to find a reason that fits me, although there are a couple of watch apps that interest me a little. It just seems like they're gearing it too much toward the fitness market.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I have one of the very first Apple watches. I like it.

I do NOT use it for exercise (I wear a Garmin when I run or bike).

Here's what I like (not an exhaustive list):

Maps. Put a destination in the iPhone Map app, and the watch will tap your wrist as you're driving when a turn is approaching. A glance at the watch tells me the the distance, road name and turn direction. Great for when a nav system isn't available (such as rental cars).

Apple Pay. Get to the checkout line, process items, press watch against NFC reader, walk away.

Boarding passes. Enter a boarding pass into Apple Wallet and press watch against boarding pass reader. Don't have to pull out a paper pass or my phone.

News headlines. Siri (raise wrist, say, "Hey Siri..."). Text messages (complete with Siri integration: "Hey Siri, tell work, 'I'm running late.'"). Phone calls: make and receive calls right from your wrist. Baseball scores (yeah, I'm a fan...).

Here's the key (for me, at least): An Apple Watch is NOT an iPad, iPhone or computer replacement. What it is, is a link to an iPhone. It operates best on the principle that people don't STARE at their watch, but simply GLANCE at it. That's why Apple calls them "glances." A quick look, like checking the time, is what works best for me. It doesn't require me to take my focus off my driving (at least for more than a glance) and it helps to send and receive data from my phone, again without having to pull out my phone and start tap-tap-tapping on it.

It's not for everyone. I'm not trying to sell anyone on it. I just say it works for me and the way I operate.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a buddy who was looking at fitness watch for his iPhone and he went with the Garmin Fenix 5. He wasn't impressed with the Apple watch. He's been very happy with the Garmin though. Not sure as to your needs OP, but something to consider if you're looking at it for fitness.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
To clarify, it's my wife who wants the Apple watch since she lost her fitbit last week while hiking. we don't really know anything about them, except they can do what a fitbit does. I was also intrigued when I saw a guy pay for his lunch today using his watch.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
What do I need to know about apple's watch before buying one?

Like most watches, it goes around your wrist.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I have an Asus ZenWatch 2 for my Android phone. Now that I've moved to an iPhone,I miss it. Smartwatches aren't a must-have, but, they are handy.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The battery on Fitbit lasts several days. The battery on the Apple Watch lasts 18 hours. If you want to track your sleep cycle, you'll only really have one choice.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
When a family member upgraded to a newer model, they gifted me their 2 year old smaller sport model.

I like it, but I wouldn't pay more than $200 for one.

Biggest 'like' is when you are working, talking to people and you get a call / text / app notification, a simple glance at your watch tells you if it's something you need to take right then or blow off until later.

When driving it also gives you physical indications (vibration) that you are getting close to a turn as well as an arrow, etc.

You can also silence phone calls / alarms from your watch, so if the phone is in your pocket you can leave it there.

It's a marginal "nice to have" but other than that, meh.

A dislike is the need to charge it everyday - my Garmin Vivofit (good for a year on watch batteries) spoiled me.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
It lets nurses see their text messages and respond with their nose.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I'm well in tune with my iPhone; however, I haven't used my Watch much beyond receiving phone calls and looking at the time. I just can't recommend one.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
I bought a reconditioned model rom Apple to use as a fitness tracker. I like it. I wouldn't pay for a new one however.

Posts: 12918 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
When a family member upgraded to a newer model, they gifted me their 2 year old smaller sport model.

I like it, but I wouldn't pay more than $200 for one.

Biggest 'like' is when you are working, talking to people and you get a call / text / app notification, a simple glance at your watch tells you if it's something you need to take right then or blow off until later.

When driving it also gives you physical indications (vibration) that you are getting close to a turn as well as an arrow, etc.

You can also silence phone calls / alarms from your watch, so if the phone is in your pocket you can leave it there.

It's a marginal "nice to have" but other than that, meh.

A dislike is the need to charge it everyday - my Garmin Vivofit (good for a year on watch batteries) spoiled me.

Agree about the charging issue. It's a big miss.

Posts: 12918 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12179 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My brother had the Android version. He has a dirty hands job and it allowed him to answer the phone without getting his Android filthy, and he could read a text message to decide if it was worth washing his hands to respond.

It broke, and he didn't buy a replacement.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
Agree about the charging issue. It's a big miss.

Yes, figure on putting it on its charger every night, unless you use it more, then charge more often. That is the main drawback I see to this device, otherwise I would have one. Plus, any Liion that has to be charged that often is not bound to last too awful long, in the greater scheme of things. I'm sorry, I'll stick to my iPhone for portable iOS stuff (it can go a week without a charge), and a real watch to tell time.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
First and foremost, does your wife use an iPhone? If not, the Apple Watch will offer very little. While it has the sensors and collects data, it relies on the phone to process and display info about that data as well as using the phones connection to the internet to request info for many of it's features.

That said, I have one and love it. Much more interactive and informative than a FitBit. Natively tracks and records a greater variety of exercise types than FB. Measure heart rate (some FB do, some don't). Other fitness apps offer even more features for specific sports.

Non-fitness, it lets you check text messages and even answer calls from your phone. Can trigger your phone to let out a sonar like "ping" to locate your phone when yo forget where you set it down.

Can track your sleep info, useful for those of us with sleep disorders. Can vibrate a warning to turn when used with GPS while driving so you can keep your eye on the phone. Can be used to control music on your phone, check weather, stocks, multiple timers, alarms, calendar appointment reminders, and more.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10930 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
They seem like a solution in search of a problem.

And I'm a big iPhone fan, I just don't understand the point of these things at all.

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I've had one for almost 2 years now and wear it daily. I like it. I really like it. My wife really enjoys her's too.

It's just one of those devices that makes your life ever-so-slightly better. It's really just an extension of your iPhone.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
I've had mine for a year now. I like it, but if I leave home without it it's no big deal.

I like being able to receive notifications from my wrist. The maps function is cool. Haptic feedback that tells me when to turn right or left.

One nice thing is when I mountain bike I can fast-forward my music or see who's calling me without getting my phone out of my pack.

Still waiting for a killer app that makes it indispensable. It's a handy extension of the phone.

Posts: 3015 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post