SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Firefighter has become master of maxing out overtime pay
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firefighter has become master of maxing out overtime pay Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
A Los Angeles firefighter received $300,000 in overtime pay in one year by working more hours than actually exist in a single year.

Donn Thompson augmented his $92,000 salary by more than a quarter of a million dollars in 2017, Reason magazine reported, citing data from Transparent California, a project of the Nevada Policy Research Institute.

It wasn’t a one-off payout, as Thompson earned over $1 million in overtime pay over the last four years.

But the math behind the pay doesn’t add up. It would have required the firefighter to work 9,280 hours in a year, despite there being 8,760 hours in a single year.

The magazine crunched the numbers and claimed that the firefighter earned his base salary of $92,000 by working 2,912 hours at an hourly rate of $31.60. For overtime hourly rate, Thompson would earn $47.40, meaning that in order to receive $300,000 in overtime pay for the whole year, he would have had to work 6,370 hours – bringing the total hours worked to 9,280.

Robert Fellner, director of the institute, said the firefighter’s ability to work that many hours “boggles the mind” and said that Thompson was likely taking advantage of generous contract provisions that boost overtime pay above the typical rate.

Thompson is reportedly known for mastering the way to max out overtime pay. Between 1993 and 1995 he earned nearly $220,000 in overtime, a 1996 Los Angeles Times article reported. Thompson said at the time that most overtime hours are linked to covering for other workers at the stations and not to “fires or other emergencies.”

In 2008, Thompson earned nearly $180,000 in overtime pay, the Los Angeles Daily News reported, noting that the L.A. fire department's overtime budget skyrocketed by over 60 percent in a decade.

Thompson justified his pay a few years ago, saying he "basically lived at the station” and worked hard to earn it.

"The first thing [people] think of is firefighters sitting around at the station, but they're not just handing out free money over here," Thompson told the San Diego Union-Tribune. "I'm working hard."

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
And nobody noticed?
And nobody's headed for jail?
I suspect he's not the only one doing stuff like this.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:

I missed the allegation of any fraud. If anyone should go to jail, it’s whoever negotiated the collective bargaining agreement - for stupidity.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thompson justified his pay a few years ago, saying he "basically lived at the station”....

Obviously not married.

Posts: 9035 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:

I missed the allegation of any fraud. If anyone should go to jail, it’s whoever negotiated the collective bargaining agreement - for stupidity.

-Rob

Missed that he worked more hours than there are in a year?

"But the math behind the pay doesn’t add up. It would have required the firefighter to work 9,280 hours in a year, despite there being 8,760 hours in a single year."

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Fraud? It's California.

Posts: 9035 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
The answer won't be to reduce spending by cutting down on this BS.

The answer will be higher taxes because running a fire department is expensive and we need more money.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Hey...if it's in the CBA, then good for him!! Seems the city needs to send someone to the negotiating table that actually knows what the hell they're doing. I wish we could get the negotiating team the firefighters had for our contract negotiations!!!

Read your contract.
KNOW your contract.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nailed it!
I would like to know how many hours are required to work in a year for the $92,000 base salary.

quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
The answer won't be to reduce spending by cutting down on this BS.

The answer will be higher taxes because running a fire department is expensive and we need more money.

Posts: 3910 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

-Rob

"But the math behind the pay doesn’t add up. It would have required the firefighter to work 9,280 hours in a year, despite there being 8,760 hours in a single year."

"Robert Fellner, director of the institute, said the firefighter’s ability to work that many hours “boggles the mind” and said that Thompson was likely taking advantage of generous contract provisions that boost overtime pay above the typical rate."

Posts: 847 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Hey...if it's in the CBA, then good for him!! Seems the city needs to send someone to the negotiating table that actually knows what the hell they're doing. I wish we could get the negotiating team the firefighters had for our contract negotiations!!!

Read your contract.
KNOW your contract.
Because you can doesn’t always mean you should.

Posts: 3910 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hairy2dawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
Thompson justified his pay a few years ago, saying he "basically lived at the station”....

Obviously not married.

Or have a girlfriend, or any other kind of life. I hate working 48s, which is all we're allowed to work before a mandatory 24 off. I couldn't even imagine staying there full time.

Posts: 1276 | Location: Athens, GA | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:

Obviously not married.

Nah, he was sick of the constant nagging at home.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
One problem is when public service unions reps negotiate with public service employees who work for the government, “of the public service employees, by the public service employees, for the public service employees.”

There was a scandal in San Diego years ago when it was publicized how fire department managers were passing around the top jobs of allow everyone to retire at max pay, over $100k per year retirement.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:

Read your contract.
KNOW your contract.
Because you can doesn’t always mean you should.

Since I'm now in an industry that thrives on CBA's, my opinion has changed DRASTICALLY over should, may, shall, must, etc. One's quality of life is only as good as the provisions in his CBA. What if the tables were turned and the city was screwing the firefighters just because their negotiator was more sage at the bargaining table? Goes both ways, my friend, and frankly I'm sick and tired of management getting theirs. "Management" gets theirs every freaking day where I work, so it's a breath of fresh air to see the tables turned for once.

Right? Wrong? Who the hell am I to judge, but I'll side with the worker every damn time. Plain and simple...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
what a workaholic.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

-Rob

The math is not always as straightforward as the article reports.
As an example, if I work 7 days in a week anything over 36 hours is time and a half but The seventh day will be double time. If you divide up the money I get paid by the straight rate and overtime rate you get more hours then I worked. Some holidays I can end up getting paid holiday pay on top of double time on top of straight time due to a quirk in the way the rules were written (you look for those days)

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Wow.

I'd be happy with simple time and a half for anything over 40 in a week, time and a half for forced days outside your regular schedule, and double time on holidays. And shift differential would be nice too.

And this guy is making $300k.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
quote:
quote:
quote:

-Rob

The math is not always as straightforward as the article reports.
As an example, if I work 7 days in a week anything over 36 hours is time and a half but The seventh day will be double time. If you divide up the money I get paid by the straight rate and overtime rate you get more hours then I worked. Some holidays I can end up getting paid holiday pay on top of double time on top of straight time due to a quirk in the way the rules were written (you look for those days)

Exactly. It’s important to read the whole article. In this case, it also helps if one is familiar at all with public sector CBAs. The kind of provisions that make this possible are not uncommon. This guy just takes advantage better than many.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post