SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Getting back into kayaking! Got a yak today
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting back into kayaking! Got a yak today Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
this looks wonderful, wonderful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIZVeyte4N0

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54606 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're taking it in the ocean, get a bright colored flag on a stick for it so boaters can see you. That's a very hard color for boaters to see on the water. Enjoy it and have a great time. Kayaks are a lot of fun.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I'm gonna check out a Zephyr 160 Pro tomorrow. It's a big boat but the price is too good to pass up. It's gonna be REALLY fun paddling all over OBX in one of these!

It's a composite (fiberglass) version and was VERY expensive when it came out.

Late last year I started toying with the idea of a sit-in for paddling ACROSS THE BAY for a long weekend trip. I've done some 5-7 mile leisurely trips and started thinking this is a possibility. Trip would be from the Poquoson area to Cape Charles. I'm very interested to hear how well that 160 works.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Hells yes!! Big Grin

I pulled the trigger and picked up a boat I have been wanting since I first saw one back in 2013. These composite Wilderness systems boats made from fiberglass instead of plastic were around $3k! I got this bright colored Wilderness Systems Zephyr 160 Pro for $800!

It's a big boat but it is surprisingly light. I can't wait to get it in some surf!

The blue Zephyr 155 and Zydeco 11 should be pretty fun too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The Zephyr 160 Pro (yellow/green top white hull) is FAST!! I love this boat! With the skeg down it tracks very well and glides right along.

I have not yet paddled the Zephyr 155. For being about a foot or so shorter than the 160 Pro it's actually a noticeably smaller Kayak all the way around. It isn't as tall and being smaller should mean the Zephyr 155 shouldn't get blown around by the wind as much.

The lime Green Dagger Zydeco 11 is a cool boat. It reminds me of the two kayaks we just sold. It's a shorter fatter Kayak so it is MUCH more stable and feels like it would be hard to tip over but you sacrifice speed for that stability. The Zydeco is going on my OBX trip for sure.

Here is a pic from right before our first trip on the Zephyr 160 Pro. My son also fits into the cockpit and isn't quite ready to take a Yak out on his own yet. My son loves being on our lake, I think he will be ready to paddle on his own boat soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post