SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Getting back into kayaking! Got a yak today
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting back into kayaking! Got a yak today Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
I've had my eye on a Wilderness Systems Zephyr kayak for a long time. Today I decided to pull the trigger and get a Zephyr 155 at a dang decent price. It's a rockered out little boat and should be PERFECT for my summer camp, surf and kayak OBX trip. It'll get mostly paddled in lakes but I like that it can handle surf.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Pretty sweet! Getting into kayaking is on my list.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gascan
posted Hide Post
Nice! Can't go wrong with Wilderness Systems; rocking one of their Tarpon yaks.

Posts: 135 | Location: Sunny St. Pete | Registered: March 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I also got a new boat for my son and wife to enjoy. Should be easy to spot this boat....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Nice. What did you have or use previously?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
46&2,

We used these for about 5 years. Ascend D12 fishing yak.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Nice. Coincidentally, I've been looking into getting my first kayak. Have no idea what to buy, what to look for, brands, etc.

I've got a couple of suggestions for which I'm following up.

But the inhibiting factor may be transport -- I can't find a roof rack system from a branded company (ie - Thule) that will work on either of my cars. I can't justify buying another car / truck / minivan just to go kayaking (although our next car will be one of these).

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Great minds?

I brought this home last Friday. Getting it wet Saturday morning. I plan on outfitting it for fishing.

Right now I am building a PVC stand to support it on a rolling cart. the height will allow me to slide it in and out of the bed of my truck.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Ooh that sure is purty.... Get it into the surf at least once just because.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
Nice! I have two Native Watercraft, an 11ft and a 10ft, both sit-on-top, and they get used almost weekly in the summer up here on the bay. Also had them over at Lake Gaston a couple years ago and spent a couple full days paddling around the lake.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
We love kayaking. A few years ago we bought a pair of these semi-inflatable ones and use them WAY more than we thought we would. They're not light enough to hike with, but since we camp so much we pack them in the SUV, drive to where we're hiking and camping, kayak for a while then pack them back in the truck and camp for the weekend without worrying about them getting stolen off a roof rack. Perfect for our needs.

https://www.rei.com/product/73...GCntQCFchXDQodoAgA5Q

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
justjoe,

It'll be in some surf at the Outer Banks in a few weeks. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
LOVE Wilderness Systems.

Nice Tarpon, SpinZone! Mrs.BurtonRW and I have a pair of 120s. We test paddled the 120s and 140s before buying and enjoyed the increased maneuverability of the 120s (which still track very nicely). Couldn't be happier w/ them.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I have the old scupper pro which I love. Get a good paddle that fits you - I have an old Werner.

Great fun and great exercise. My son is now using to fish the river behind us.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
LOVE Wilderness Systems.

Nice Tarpon, SpinZone! Mrs.BurtonRW and I have a pair of 120s. We test paddled the 120s and 140s before buying and enjoyed the increased maneuverability of the 120s (which still track very nicely). Couldn't be happier w/ them.

-Rob

Another Tarpon 120 fan here! I've had our boats from the Allagash River in Maine to the Florida Keys and they have handled everything we've thrown at them.
I'm looking at getting a sit inside touring yak for some longer trips but yaks are like guns...you can ever have too many!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife and I bought a couple of Malibu sit on tops last year. We enjoyed it enough that we have purchased a couple of whitewater boats and are getting instruction this year.

It is a sport / hobby that lets you get places few other humans get to go.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna check out a Zephyr 160 Pro tomorrow. It's a big boat but the price is too good to pass up. It's gonna be REALLY fun paddling all over OBX in one of these!

It's a composite (fiberglass) version and was VERY expensive when it came out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Another Tarpon 120 fan here!

Every summer I say I'm going to get a kayak. I haven't yet, but the Tarpon 120 is my target.

God bless America.

Posts: 13497 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Funny you brought this up. I just ordered two kayaks. I've been wanting to try it, too.

My wife has been waffling back and forth between a paddle board and a kayak so I bought her a Ocean kayak Alu 12.5.

I've been wanting to start fishing from a kayak - for trout and redfish from out local tidal flats and creeks. I ordered an Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game 2. Looking forward to reigging it out and getting out on the water,

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Took it out this weekend.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post