SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    GoPro or similar -- who's got the knowledge?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GoPro or similar -- who's got the knowledge? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Good afternoon, SF.

I've had an early GoPro for quite some time, and have considered getting a newer one. For my uses, though, I've been wondering about a feature I can't find described on GoPro's web site. (Maybe I'm not looking at the right things, Idunno.)

I wonder, now that such cameras are equipped with wifi and Bluetooth and such, if it is possible to essentially "stream" the video being recorded over to a monitor or TV real-time.

In an engineering application, it goes like this: can I put the camera near an unattended process that may be guarded from human access(say, laser marking or robotic assembly) to record the process, as well as putting a monitor outside the protected area for real-time viewing?

Anybody dealt with this? GoPro comes to mind over a normal surveillance-based camera because I may want to mount it on something that moves or gets wet or even gets knocked over -- durability is key.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What are you trying to do? Does it have to play Metallica too?

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Nice one, sir.

- - - - - -

Ideally, Id be able to start by putting it inside a work area to "watch" the robot arm place parts and finish the processing. Definitely don't wanna stick your head in there to see it, so being able to view the operation on a monitor outside the robot area will be key. Recording it at the same time says I can use it as a training or presentation tool.

Wireless transmission is convenient, as in another application I may want to attach it directly to the robot arm. Durability (IP65 and such) is key in that I could conceivably mount it inside the Okuma to view the machining -- it's going to get splashed with coolant in there, and may take some light chip impact.

Then on the way home I could attach it to the motorcycle like it's normally used and be able to share my commute with others.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Looked into a GoPro a while back.

They added a bunch of voice command crap that I'll never use and still didn't offer slo-mo. Confused

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All the time
Picture of Gear.Up
posted Hide Post
You can stream from GoPro or Sony Action cameras, but it has to run through their app on your phone or tablet.

For your stated use case, I think you're better off looking at a WiFi surveillance camera but it might be difficult to find one with the required protection / durability.

Posts: 2320 | Location: East TN | Registered: July 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
You should be able to stream to a smartphone via the gopro app while screen mirroring or casting your phone screen to an external monitor(tv). There may be more elegant solutions but this is the 1st one that comes to mind.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You must be an engineer. Popular Mechanics probably has a sketch. My dad was a mechanical engineer and this is the kind of stuff that interested him.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gear.Up:
You can stream from GoPro or Sony Action cameras, but it has to run through their app on your phone or tablet.

For your stated use case, I think you're better off looking at a WiFi surveillance camera but it might be difficult to find one with the required protection / durability.

Tablet app? We can do that.
The GoPro seems well suited, too, in that it's self-contained -- internal power source, etc.

quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
You must be an engineer.

Yessir. Industrial/manufacturing. (It's okay... you can say "nerd" if you want to.) Wink

God bless America.

I am a leaf
on the wind...
posted Hide Post
" Live Broadcasting with the VIRB App

Live broadcasting is a new feature available in the VIRB app for iOS 10.0 or later only. Live broadcasting is unavailable for the Android version of VIRB app at this time.

This feature will allow you to stream content so your friends can watch your video in real time.

Live broadcasting supports up to 720p live streaming. Because the VIRB uses Wi-Fi to connect to your phone, all streaming content will use your cell phone's data plan. Garmin recommends having an unlimited data plan when using this feature."

https://support.garmin.com/en-...VzsxU3Ev9vmIw8UWkma6

https://explore.garmin.com/en-...b/#product-virbultra

Posts: 2120 | Location: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: August 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
From what you've shared, I'd suggest simplicity. Just buy a Wyze camera and use it to stream or record your robot endeavors. If you bust it, you're out all of $25. I've got a couple of these and they work really well for the things I use them for.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
VIRB looks interesting -- I didn't know Garmin offered an action camera.

I do see that its streaming relies on Facebook or Youtube... I'd be looking to use it entirely in-house, so to speak, communicating only to a nearby device.

(Still pretty cool, though!)

quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Wyze camera

For 25 bucks, I really can't go too wrong. Does it require Alexa, or merely make a big deal of the fact that it "works with Alexa?" Does it require an Internet connection, or can it run entirely on an in-house network (Wyze cam + router + tablet, for instance)?

In this pic, what's the wire for? DC power, I presume?

God bless America.

The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Through our mobility program i bought geekpro cameras for the line techs to use for troubleshooting. These are gopro knock offs. They will stream video to an app via wifi so we can put them inside of guarding without having to run cables and still run the line.

We had already issued all of our manufacturing personal iPads so it was an easy solution to roll out. I also bought wifi endoscopes to get into interior areas the geekpros can't see.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I am a leaf
on the wind...
posted Hide Post
The garmin doesn't require facebook. It live streams to a smart phone via the Virb app.I have the virb xe and virb 360 which records in 360 video so you can pan the "camera" to view a full circle. It has 2 cameras with 200 degrees of view and then stitches the frames together to get a full 360. you can also control the camera form the app.

Posts: 2120 | Location: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: August 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
VIRB360: pretty darned cool!

God bless America.

You'll Shoot Your Eye Out!
Picture of MaThGr82
posted Hide Post
https://www.rylo.com is worth a look. Not sure about the livestreaming though.

Posts: 6302 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a GoPro Hero 7 Black along with a GoPro gimbal which we have used primarily thus far for skiing, and it takes GREAT video!

There may be more suitable / affordable options for what your video capture onjectives are, but for active sports the GoPro is a very good choice.

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
For 25 bucks, I really can't go too wrong. Does it require Alexa, or merely make a big deal of the fact that it "works with Alexa?" Does it require an Internet connection, or can it run entirely on an in-house network (Wyze cam + router + tablet, for instance)?

In this pic, what's the wire for? DC power, I presume?
The camera does not require Alexa. I run it right through its native Wyze cellphone app and it does great. You need WiFi for it to work, and yes, the cord is for power only (camera runs on 110v AC). It has a magnetic base which is also nice as you may be able to simply stick it to a piece of equipment to mount it.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post