SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2006 Malibu clunking, lower control arm?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2006 Malibu clunking, lower control arm? Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
My sister in law’s car needs front brakes and apparently a new control arm. It’s a 2006 Malibu. The pads and rotors are no sweat but I’ve never done a control arm. Is it difficult? Do you have to fight the strut/spring? I’d like to do it for her as she watches the kids a lot but I don’t want to get into something too hard. Can’t find a video of it being changed on this car online, as is my normal course of action when trying something new.

Thankful for any advice!

Posts: 6364 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I did my honda's last year and the only difficulty was getting the nuts on the bushing bolts off - had to use an impact, according this video, at least on the driver's side, there's a transmission mount you'll need to remove to get to the front bushing; you don't need to worry about the strut.

It took about an hour per side with someone helping me.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/t6Hf8KjxhwM

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Clunking, hmm. Are you sure it's a control arm, and not a wheel bearing?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just had this done on my wife's Kia. Yep, clunking - both lower control arm and ball joint involvement. Check both while you're in there.
s.

Posts: 297 | Location: Ogden, UT | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could be a ball joint also.

Posts: 459 | Location: ATL | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could be any of the above but my money is on the intermediate steering shaft. It’s a common problem and well documented.

My 2006 Malibu was repaired twice under warranty. 12 years later, it’s still clunking. My stepson is driving it with no problems other than the noise.

Posts: 772 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
If you feel the clunking in the steering wheel, then it is the intermediate shaft.

Posts: 5200 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I’ll have to drive the car and get some more insight on the issue. A local tire and general mechanic shop are the ones that say it needs a new control arm... not sure which side is supposed to be the problem.

Looking at the video above I don’t think it’s something I’ll tackle, though. That fella had significant trouble separating the ball joint plus messing with the transmission mount if it’s on that side...

Posts: 6364 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The stabilizer bar (aka sway bar) end links could be bad as well. This will make a rattle or clunk noise when driving over bumps. Sometimes this can be difficult to spot. If you jack or hoist the car with the suspension hanging free, the links are in tension and the slack can be taken up.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post