SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    squeaky creeky hardwood floors
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

squeaky creeky hardwood floors Login/Join 
posted
We had hard wood floors in our house, it was built in 1931, we moved in in "57"

in the 18 years I lived there, there was never one squeak or creek , never.

there are three homes here in tiny town that were built between 1955 and 1967
and everyone of the squeak like crazy , not in one or two places , but all over the whole floor.

One has won't let you walk anywhere at all w/o making noise.

no one wants them fixed, they call it character,
Roll Eyes
I call it shoddy and annoying.

if I were purchasing their homes I would want it fixed prior to signing

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
My parents bought their last new home 20 years ago. There is a transitional threshold that was executed incorrectly by the floor guys. The oak planks are not fastened together in the transition and creak every time they walk over it. Drives my shuffling parents nuts!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
There is an inexpensive tool that allows the homeowner to fix noisy hardwood floors.

It is a kind of "guide" tool that lets the owner drive special screws through the hardwood into the sub-floor, pulling the hardwood down tight. The upper part of that screw is then broken off (below the surface) leaving a pretty small hole which is easily filled and cleaned up.

Works well, at least it did for us on 2 houses.

Sadly, my shitty memory does not recall the name of the tool.

Will check with the mrs and see if she remembers where we got it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Elk Hunter,

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
seen , was gonna get one, would have cost $130.00, for 40 screws
forget that

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
seen , was gonna get one, would have cost $300.00, for 40 screws
forget that

Hmmm, I understand that prices have gone up, but AIR ours was less than 20 bucks. Will check to see if I can find something that might do the trick.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
*fixed

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000...gid=pla-312808039115

Here it is: less than 20 bucks on Amazon.

Another one, same page, for $21 shipped.

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

posted Hide Post
I told the people about these and they did not want their hardwood floors messed with ,
( I am glad I did not get the other gadget )

Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
Last year we remodeled and removed the carpet from the downstairs master and added wood to match the existing. Floor contractor says one thing I can't do is fix the squeak in the rest of the floors.

He went on to say that a lot of new construction contractors install the wood before the HVAC is up and running, rather than allowing the wood to acclimate before installation to the HVAC temperature.

He brought the bedroom wood in, let it acclimate in the house for a couple of weeks, and viola, no squeaks. Did the same thing upstairs with the same results.

For the most part the squeaks only annoy me early in the morning or at night when I have to pee, and am trying to be quiet.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Fortunately, I didn't have hardwood flooring. I did have horrendously squeaky subfloors. In every room we remodel, we pull up the carpet, remove every flooring nail and replace it with a deck screw. Then refloor with your choice of material. We tiled.

Posts: 4019 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if squeaks are covered under new house warranty ?

20 years or ten owners

posted Hide Post
My house was built in about 1940. Oak hardwood floors. Squeak plenty. Doesn't bother me.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Back in feudal Japan, this was done intentionally to warn the homeowner of intruders. They were called nightingale floors, or uguisubari.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightingale_floor

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
My house is 90 years young.
Original oak hardwood throughout.
Several creaky spots, and for the most part, they don’t bother me.
But, there is one large area in my bedroom that I’d like to quiet down. If I have guests staying the night, I feel bad if I’d wake them up.

I ordered the kit the Elk linked to and will try it out.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thermonuclear Vulcan
Picture of Zebulon
posted Hide Post
Liberally sprinkle Talcum power over the offending area....Sweep up and try again......Zebulon

Posts: 2761 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: November 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post