SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you slightly over-inflate your tires?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you slightly over-inflate your tires? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Audioholic:
quote:
Originally posted by 64dodge:
Not a good idea, IMHO. The engineers that design the vehicle and the tires determine the recommended inflation pressures for specific reasons, none of which would be known to the average consumer. I'd never assume to second guess them.

All depends on their priorities. Older (late 90's) Ford Explorers originally had a factory recommended tire pressure setting of 26 PSI, which was chosen specifically for ride comfort. It was way too low for the weight of the vehicle so it led to some handling and legal "issues". The problem was at 26 recommended most bozos let them get down to 18-20 PSI and then wondered why their SUV rolled while emulating NASCAR on the highway. Ford ended up amending it and mailed out replacement door stickers increasing the recommended PSI to 30 (still a bit low). I won't run mine on less than 34 PSI.

OEM recommendations are a good place to start but accommodations must be made for driving style, load, non-OEM tires, modifications, etc. Every vehicle is different so a little experimentation is in order to optimize pressures. Even if you don't optimize just regular checking puts you ahead of most folks.

I've seen fools running the interstate at 65+ with two donuts and the other two tires so low you wondered how the beads were still seated. More shimmy than a double-jointed belly dancer.

To each his own. If you ever have a problem that ends up in litigation with a vehicle or tire manufacturer, I wouldn't recommend telling them you purposely over inflated your tires.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I under inflate mine. 30psi is typical. I like the softer ride more than saving a penny or two is gas.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine run at 45-50 all the time. But then I am driving a Dodge Ram with 10 ply tires Wink That is factory standard for my truck as it can carry 2995# in the bed. Actually a very comfortable truck to drive.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
I recommend keeping a Viair 88P tire inflator in your car. Fast, quiet, compact, and $57 shipped by Amazon Prime.
As with many maintenance related things in life, the frequency with which you check and add air is more important than the particulars of what PSI to set it at. If you've got real time pressure monitoring, set it at the recommended level and just top off whenever it drops.

Thanks for mentioning a good portable pump, I've been wanting one.
(I only put it off 10 yrs)

Any other recommendations out there?

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Usually I'd inflate it to what the decal on the vehicle or owners manual specifies. The pressure rating for the tire is the maximum for the tire itself. The vehicle may need less. Check the pressure when the tire is cold or hasn't moved in a few hours. The tires on mine are rated for higher, but Ford suggests 110 PSI.

For optimal tire wear, you can check the tire friction with thermal imaging to get a consistent temperature across the tread pattern, but I've only done that when I was bored.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I under inflate on my 4x4 for a softer ride.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Check out the slideshow and captions here: http://www.fourwheeler.com/how...re-pressure-science/

Basically, they recommend using chalk or a crayon to make a line on the tire, then check the wear on the line. When the line wears away evenly across the width the tread, you've found the ideal PSI for your vehicle/that tire on your vehicle.

This technique particularly interests me, because my truck gets somewhat poor rear traction in wet conditions, and I once hydroplaned a truck. Since that incident, driving in the rain always makes me nervous.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Overinflate? Never. The goal of tires is traction. Overinflation means you are taking away from handling. Taking away from handling is bad choice and reduces safety. My dd I use the OEM psi. I have other vehicles where the OEM psi is way too high so I run lower psi for better traction.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
I recommend keeping a Viair 88P tire inflator in your car. Fast, quiet, compact, and $57 shipped by Amazon Prime.
As with many maintenance related things in life, the frequency with which you check and add air is more important than the particulars of what PSI to set it at. If you've got real time pressure monitoring, set it at the recommended level and just top off whenever it drops.

Thanks for mentioning a good portable pump, I've been wanting one.
(I only put it off 10 yrs)

Any other recommendations out there?

I use the Viair 400P to fill my 14ply tires to 110psi, but the 88P is what I would get for keeping car tires at proper inflation. Viair makes a quality product.

As far a over inflation, no. I haven't had a car yet where following the manufacturer's recommendation has lead to uneven tire wear. My truck is a different story. Ford calls for 80psi in the rear tires and I run that when towing our 5th wheel or have the bed loaded, but the rest of the time I run 60 in the rears. Unloaded, the rear axle only has 3,300lbs on it and 60psi is more than enough for the that load. At 80psi, each tire by itself is rated to carry 3,640lbs.

Posts: 10931 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
36 psi nitrogen

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8349 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
36 psi nitrogen

We use a 78% nitrogen mix at our shop. And generally speaking a slight increase in pressure results in positive wear and handling.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
What do you like for a tire pressure gauge?

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Provided you don't exceed the tires max pressure have at it. Enjoy your life. In general (at least on cars that have handling) more is better handling and less is better ride. And of course on trucks you have the issue of tire load.
At least on new OEM tires the mfg probably spent some effort to get a good balance. Once those are gone who cares what the door sticker says. I try and respect front/rear balance amounts as I'm guessing they actually did work on that and I don't have the energy to really do any testing.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
It makes no difference at a 1 psi difference.

At XX psi once you get on the road they will warm up several degrees and on a hot day even more and perhaps over 40 psi.

On a cold day it makes some difference keeping in mind the 1 psi for every 10 degrees rule.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
"These are the new 100 psi tires, ...strictly experimental"

Hunter Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I go way what most forks would do. My e430 calls for 27psi. I set to 29 is is way under what the I think is really normal for a car with 4650 pound on it. .

Posts: 11379 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I go 3psi over recommended. Why? Because of the stupid TPMS system warning light constantly activating if I don't.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Yep.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tgrshrk99:
What do you like for a tire pressure gauge?

I named the tire pressure gauge that I like in my OP.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes but only 1-2 psi. I run all highway miles and it makes a 2-3 mpg difference. No noteable change in ride. YMMV literally.

Posts: 281 | Location: Outside St. Louis | Registered: June 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post