SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need New Toilets ASAP
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need New Toilets ASAP Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
This old house we just moved into has 3 1.6 GPF newish toilets but we are quickly finding that they suck pretty badly. They are TINY, low and clog at the drop of a hat it seems.

I’d like a decent higher height, powerful flush water efficient model to start swapping in.

What is a good model? It would need to be something that Lowe’s carries since they give me an automatic 10% off for being a veteran.

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rainmaker5505
posted Hide Post
American Standard Champion. The be-all, end-all of reasonably priced toilets. Flushes like 16 golf balls.

"America could use some turpentine, all the way from Hollywierd to New York City." -- Phil Robertson

Posts: 461 | Location: Oxford, PA | Registered: January 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Ameri...h-In-Size/1000247221

https://www.lowes.com/pd/KOHLE...ough-In-Size/3283830

These two are decently priced and good simple toilets.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker5505:
American Standard Champion. The be-all, end-all of reasonably priced toilets. Flushes like 16 golf balls.

+1

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
quote:

+1

+2

I replaced my three toilets with the American Standard Champion 4. Haven't used a plunger since. Even after Enchilada night.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Toto Drake.

Buddy owns a kitchen/bathroom remodel company and says the Toto Drake is the best two piece, affordable toilet.

We bought it for our bathroom remodel and so far so good. Got the extended height with the elongated bowl so it feels awesome. Does not cost much more than the in store stuff.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SJS
posted Hide Post
Toto Drake or American Standard Champion 4.

SJS

Posts: 682 | Location: NC | Registered: January 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
TOTO brand toilets are the best!

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
I am very happy with my Toto Drakes, even though, contrary to Consumer's Reports, I can clog them. Cool

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
I don’t know if Lowe’s carries them, but these are excellent: https://www.us.kohler.com/us/D...cle/CNT123600001.htm

I have had these for 1.5 years and they are GREAT. I put 2 in my house, you want comfort height and elongated bowl. I think I got mine at Home Depot for under $200 each. Never a clog, comfortable and no issues with them.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
quote:

+1

+2
+3 Inexpensive and very capable.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Toto Drake here.

Regarding getting a tall toilet, keep in mind that the closer you are position-wise to actually squatting, the less likely, generally speaking, you are to get hemmorids, and the faster you'll complete your bomging run.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Ferguson is the only way to go. When you flush it, 'BA-WOOSH'. That's a man's flush!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just had to replace a toilet, and went with the American Standard Champion 4. It was under $200 before taxes.

We went with that because the throat looked like a plunger would work in it, if necessary - some of the other brands had a more oval-shaped throat, which looked like a plunger would not work. I don't know if a plunger will work in this one, as the issue has never come up.

Installation itself was under 30 minutes (removing the old toilet and cleaning/prepping was about an hour). Everything required for installation is provided, except the fill line. I needed many tools to get the old toilet out and the mounting flange prepared; no tools were required to get the new one in. The floor "nuts" are like wingnuts, no tool required; a plastic "wrench" is provided for the tank nuts.

The seat is pathetic, so keep your old one, but other than that we're as happy with it as people can be with a toilet.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30646 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whatever you decide, look in the tank for the float valve, flapper, etc. Buy something that has standard, off the shelf, repair parts. When the flapper valve goes bad, you want to walk into your local Lowe’s or HD, pick up a commonly available part and walk out. Some brands have special parts (ie, over sized flapper valves) and that certainly can make repairs a hassle.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:

Regarding getting a tall toilet, keep in mind that the closer you are position-wise to actually squatting, the less likely, generally speaking, you are to get hemmorids, and the faster you'll complete your bomging run.

WTF?

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:

[IMG][/IMG]

WTF?

Ass sphincter says what?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20814 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
OK, thanks everyone!

I think I'm sold on that American Standard Champion model.

I measured my rough-in size and think I may have a problem. Confused

The rough-in measure precisely 11.5 inches. Will the model made for a 12 inch rough-in work??

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post