SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home Thermostat Replacement Advice
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Thermostat Replacement Advice Login/Join 
Picture of lee40215
posted Hide Post
I would advise getting a second opinion. Primary heat exchanger is tubular and would have to be pulled to see if there is a crack in it or actually get it up and running and run a carbon monoxide test on it. Most hvac companies are legit but there are those that will screw you in a sec especially using carbon monoxide as a selling tool. Were you there when he tested the furnace to see if he was testing to see voltage on gas valve limits etc.

Posts: 1097 | Location: Louisville, Kentucky | Registered: August 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in May when the thread was started, there was a photo.
From the original post, "This is what the current one looks like behind the cover."

The GMPN is a 90 percent furnace.
The GMPN will power the igniter with a tripped limit.

As I posted back in May, these are known for HX failures. This is the older riveted HX and is not tubular. It can be inspected for popped rivets/cracks without being pulled.

I assume the secondary was plugged and the tech pulled it for cleaning or is he guessing?

The GC will still get power with a partially plugged HX, until it trips one of the safeties.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
As I posted back in May, these are known for HX failures. This is the older riveted HX and is not tubular. It can be inspected for popped rivets/cracks without being pulled.

I assume the secondary was plugged and the tech pulled it for cleaning or is he guessing?

The GC will still get power with a partially plugged HX, until it trips one of the safeties.

All photos in this thread were hosted by Photobucket so are now deleted. Just found the paperwork from the furnace install 17 years ago and the warranty states that the primary and secondary HX are warranted for life of the original purchaser (me).

What do you suppose labor would run to replace the cracked HX?

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
750-1250 will depend on the area, as costs of doing business vary for different locations.

Most companies will not want to change out the HX and try to sell you a new furnace. Stating that the new one has a warranty and the old unit is at life expectancy (18-20 yrs.). And most places will not do warranty work on equipment brands which they don't sell.

Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
Thanks Excam_Man. I paid $1,600 for it 17 years ago so now I’m thinking it’d be better to replace the furnace than replace the HX.

What do you like in furnaces these days?

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I have two Ecobee3 2nd Gen's and they are fantastic. Highly recommend them and they have saved me some money on my electric bill.

We used to always have to turn them up and down, always adjusting them. With the Ecobee3 and the room sensors things are much more evened out and we have not adjusted them since we installed them six months ago.

Highly recommended.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
Seriously though. I’m no longer in the market for s thermostat. Now I’m looking for opinions on furnaces.

PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Get a Nest and you will forget you have a thermostat.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have my personal preferences when it comes to equipment, but that's not really important here.

It is important to locate the best HVAC guy in the area and go with their recommendations. Getting a properly sized furnace (Manual J), making sure the ducting is correct (Manual D) and getting a proper installation/set-up is by far the best choice.

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I installed a Sensi this morning. How do I create a schedule with cooling during the day and heat at night?

Also, if I am running on a schedule, what happens if a temp button gets pressed on the mounted control?

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of btgoanna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I installed a Sensi this morning. How do I create a schedule with cooling during the day and heat at night?

Also, if I am running on a schedule, what happens if a temp button gets pressed on the mounted control?

Use the App.
Under schedule you can set multiple times during day
Make it an Auto schedule (so heat and cool)

If you override , then it changes back on next time event.
Note you Can also lock out the keypad

Posts: 832 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JakiHere
posted Hide Post
From honeywell, we switched to ecobee4. I think built-in alexa is amazing. But it's just too costly ! super out of the budget.

Posts: 20 | Registered: August 14, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ OLD THREAD