SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home Thermostat Replacement Advice
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Thermostat Replacement Advice Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarms229:
I have an Emerson Sensi wifi thermostat that I am VERY happy with! Bought it last June and I have zero complaints thus far.

I also have this in two different houses and I am very happy with both.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I have this thermostat and I love it.

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywe...Amazon/dp/B00FLZEQH2

It's easy to use and program and I can control it with my computer or smart phone.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice, fellas. I ended up going with Excam_Man's recommendation and ordered a Honeywell FocusPro 6220D1028 at the local plumbing & heating supply. Should arrive in a couple days.

I'll let you know how installation goes. Wink

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
I vote for NEST, simple setup and it learns your patterns and adjusts accordingly. Very happy with ours. Had one minor hiccup during install, but their tech support identified the issue quickly and not a problem since.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3627 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
Well I've run into difficulties installing the new thermostat. I'm trying to run the air conditioning but the thermostat "cooling on" display is flashing which indicates that the "compressor protection" feature is forcing the compressor to "wait a few minutes" before starting. However the indicator light only stops flashing for a second before it goes back to flashing mode and the air conditioner never turns on.

I followed the installation instructions and here is how my handy work looks. Does anyone see something wrong with this setup compared to the one in my original post? Confused

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12GA,

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bought a Nest. Returned it for a Honeywell, which has worked very well. App links nicely w/your cell & very easy to control/setup.

Posts: 880 | Registered: October 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonATI
posted Hide Post
Whats the letter the red wire is connected to, in the first pic it looks like the red is going to the r/rc.

Posts: 429 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: October 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JasonATI:
Whats the letter the red wire is connected to, in the first pic it looks like the red is going to the r/rc.

Red is connected to RH with a red jumper wire going from RH to RC in the 1st pic. Red is going to C in the most recent pic. There is a jumper already installed.

Picture of JasonATI
posted Hide Post
What about in the second pic?

Posts: 429 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: October 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JasonATI:
What about in the second pic?

Going to C in the most recent pic.

posted Hide Post
12GA, RED wire connects to the Rc or R with the jumper in place.

Red to R ( power 24v )
Yellow to Y ( cooling )
White to W ( heat )
Green to G ( fan)

Posts: 255 | Location: Stafford, VA | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hvactech:
12GA, RED wire connects to the Rc or Rh with the jumper in place.
The Rc & Rh is for dual transformer systems back in the day.

Isn't it unusual for a residence to have dual transformers? The home was built in 1970. I tried hooking it to the R post but there didn't seem to be enough room for the wire with the jumper already there.

posted Hide Post
rare to have dual transformers. The option is still available on thermostats. Must have the jumper in-place.

On a call for cooling the thermostat connects the R to Y and G
On a call for Heat, R is connected to W and G is controlled by the furnace.

Posts: 255 | Location: Stafford, VA | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
quote:
rare to have dual transformers. The option is still available on thermostats.

If I understand correctly, I should disconnect the red from the C post and connect it to th RC post? Also, there is an unused and unstripped blue wire tucked in the wall. What do you suppose that would be for?

posted Hide Post
I tried hooking it to the R post but there didn't seem to be enough room for the wire with the jumper already there.[/QUOTE]

It will go. Turn head slightly toward your weak eye, squint dominate eye just so slightly.
Don't over tighten, striped screw is possible. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12GA:
quote:
rare to have dual transformers. The option is still available on thermostats.

If I understand correctly, I should disconnect the red from the C post and connect it to th RC post? Also, there is an unused and unstripped blue wire tucked in the wall. What do you suppose that would be for?

Correct. Move the Red wire from C to R .
The Blue is just a spare.

Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
quote:
I tried hooking it to the R post but there didn't seem to be enough room for the wire with the jumper already there.

It will go. Turn head slightly toward your weak eye, squint dominate eye just so slightly.
Don't over tighten, striped screw is possible. Big Grin[/QUOTE]

Ok-thanks for the help. I'll have to try it in the morning because if I shut down the power now I'll be in the pitch dark. Eek

I'll let you know how I make out. Tomorrow's forecast calling for highs in the 90's again so I've got to get this fixed.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
The blue wire is usually common. If you have it, look in furnace and see if it's connected to C terminal, if it is you can run t-stat without batteries. As hvactech said (I'd trust him more than me) The Red should be the 24v power, not common and goes to R/RC. If the blue isn't connected in furnace then you can connect it and use it as your common.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
If you can't figure it out by tomorrow, then just take the R, Y, and G and wire nut them together. This is doing the same function as the t-stat calling for cool and fan. It will run continuously so only run it like that while home or you may come home to an ice box.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
12GA glad to see you take caution with power. Turning off the furnace switch is all you need to do.
Skins2881, you are correct with the Blue wire as possible common. I tend to hesitate instructing such without more detail.