SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home Thermostat Replacement Advice
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Thermostat Replacement Advice Login/Join 
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted
My current Thermostat has been malfunctioning since last weekend when it got soaked with wallpaper removal solvent. Anything I need to know when looking for a replacement? This is what the current one looks like behind the cover. Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12GA,

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
The Nest is pretty sweet, not so happy with the Ecobee I have now.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have a heat pump, you need a thermostat compatible for a heat pump, but they're pretty easy to change, just dont get the wires mixed up. Most a/c guys here use honeywell.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
If you have a heat pump, you need a thermostat compatible for a heat pump, but they're pretty easy to change, just dont get the wires mixed up. Most a/c guys here use honeywell.

I have central air and a natural gas furnace with forced hot air heat (ductwork). Would something like that have a heat pump. Confused

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Nest, programmable, give you usage reports, compatible with all kinds of systems, filter reminders, hooks to your wifi to get weather information, you can run it from your smart phone or tablet.

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I have an Emerson Sensi wifi thermostat that I am VERY happy with! Bought it last June and I have zero complaints thus far.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12GA:
quote:

I have central air and a natural gas furnace with forced hot air heat (ductwork). Would something like that have a heat pump. Confused

I don't think so. A heat pump is a central air conditioner that reverse cycles (instead of using an electric heat strip). It usually says on the outside unit if it's a heat pump. A heat pump uses an additional wire going to the thermostat. Some thermostats are compatible with all of them, some have a normal model and a heat pump model (the heat pump model is compatible with the latter but a few $$$ more).

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It's not common to have heat pump with gas. Judging from your picture you don't have a newer HE system that uses heat pump for mild temps and gas for colder temps. You only have wiring to control fan, heat, and cool. It also appears you have no common present there so you will likely need a thermostat that has a battery for power not one that uses your furnace 24v transformer.

I have Honeywell unit. They make the same one but a lot cheaper. I got this model because it's the only one they had at the supply house that had recirculation feature where it turns the fan on a couple of minutes every 15-20 minutes. I'd have to read the instructions and see if it requires a common connection or if it can be battery powered, not sure on that part. Really easy to program and it's great to be able to change the temperature or turn on/off from away from the house.

If you do have a common it may be behind the t-stat not in use, usually it's blue. Also if they used 18-6 then you should have two wires in the wall you can't see that one can be used for common.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
quote:

It's not common to have heat pump with gas. Judging from your picture you don't have a newer HE system that uses heat pump for mild temps and gas for colder temps. You only have wiring to control fan, heat, and cool. It also appears you have no common present there so you will likely need a thermostat that has a battery for power not one that uses your furnace 24v transformer.

I have Honeywell unit. They make the same one but a lot cheaper. I got this model because it's the only one they had at the supply house that had recirculation feature where it turns the fan on a couple of minutes every 15-20 minutes. I'd have to read the instructions and see if it requires a common connection or if it can be battery powered, not sure on that part. Really easy to program and it's great to be able to change the temperature or turn on/off from away from the house.

The current Thermostat does get power from the furnace and has battery backup in case of power outages. I turned the power off at the furnace and the Thermostat switched to battery mode.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12GA,

Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
After comparing the features and reading a bunch of reviews comparing the two, I picked the Ecobee3 2nd Gen over the Nest. The Nest has many neat "learning" features, but I wanted something that I had more control over with my own programs, which the Ecobee does.

https://www.amazon.com/Ecobee3...Amazon/dp/B00ZIRV39M

So far very pleased with the Ecobee, the additional room sensor has been a great feature. The Ecobee can be programmed to use individual temp sensors throughout the house, or average multiple sensors. In the winter time my master bedroom would get much too hot at night even with the vents closed, and the Ecobee has solved this.

It has definitely saved me money as my gas bill has gone down with the ease of setting up energy saving programs and controlling things from the app. I just purchased a second one to use for the separate upstairs HVAC system as both can be controlled from the single app.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarms229:
I have an Emerson Sensi wifi thermostat that I am VERY happy with! Bought it last June and I have zero complaints thus far.

I've had three of these in our house for a couple years now. LOVE them, easy install and setup, user interface is great as well.

Less expensive than Nest to boot, and all the same functions other than trying to learn what I want instead of doing what I want on a schedule I tell it to.

The remote access was the main driver for us, to be able to adjust when returning from a trip or to verify we'd made adjustments as intended at the beginning of one.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
The current Thermostat does get power from the furnace and has battery backup in case of power outages. I turned the power off at the furnace and the Thermostat switched to battery mode.

[IMG][/IMG]

Strange. I would expect to see a 'C' terminal and usually a blue wire attached to it if it was powered from transformer.

I am an electrician though, what do I know. Excam will be along to set you on the right path soon enough.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I have been happy with the Nest.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted Hide Post
I installed a Sensi thermostat last fall based on recommendations from forum members. So far it has been great.

Posts: 759 | Location: The Boulevard of Broken Dreams | Registered: June 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarms229:

Another vote for the sensi

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
When my regular thermostat went out, I replaced it with This Honeywell thermostat and I love it. It works great and I love the ability to control it remotely. It was easy to install myself.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

[IMG][/IMG]

Strange. I would expect to see a 'C' terminal and usually a blue wire attached to it if it was powered from transformer.

I am an electrician though, what do I know. Excam will be along to set you on the right path soon enough.

Is there an indicator stat is running on battery?
How do you know it isn't always on battery?
There should be a "c" terminal, is there one out of the picture ?

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2914 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElKabong:
quote:
quote:

[IMG][/IMG]

Is there an indicator stat is running on battery?
How do you know it isn't always on battery?
There should be a "c" terminal, is there one out of the picture ?

There aren't any other terminals. When the cover snaps on, four metal prongs fit into receptors at the top of the White Rodgers Thermostat backing and the battery indicator disappears.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Any entry level HVAC guy should know by the photo, that this is a straight heat with air conditioning stat. As the thermostat doesn't have connections for a heat pump (O/B, Aux-E)

RH/RC - Heating and Cooling Power (wired together)
W - Heat
G - Fan
Y - Cooling

For a simple stat, I like the Honeywell # TH5110D 1029 (large screen)
Programmable Honeywell TH6220D 1028 (large screen)
Touchscreen Honeywell TH8320R 1003 (VisionPro 8000)

Here's a good company, if you want to order one online:
http://www.supplyhouse.com/Hon...4Ji0mTP0rhoCSXjw_wcB

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I love my Honeywell. Easily programmed and I can change it remotely via an ap on my cell phone.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post