SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just some Philly Iron Workers Climbing High
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just some Philly Iron Workers Climbing High Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redleg06:
Mohawks.

http://www.whitewolfpack.com/2...anhattan-photos.html
Yes!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I watched these guys “swing steel” at the company I work at near Philly (KOP, PA) around 15 years ago when they were building an addition. It’s amazing to watch them clamber up those beams like they are monkeys going up a tree. Those guys weren’t up in a high rise but still high up enough that a fall would end them and I don’t recall them being harnessed or tied off.

These guys deserve every penny they make!

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
I've driven past this site on Arch Street lots of times. Never heard any reports of dropped tools or bolts. Or deaths.

Ever work with concrete? The basement floor I yanked out of my home averaged 2" thick, and I put back nearly 4" across compacted gravel. The "basement floor" of the new Comcast building is TEN FEET thick. Fourteen million pounds of concrete. In addition, naturally, to columns down to bedrock.

a career highlight for Andrew Blasetti, 32, Angela Heinze, also 32, Lou Ross, 26, and Stephen Kane, 25 ... the four engineers Thornton Tomasetti, one of the world's leading structural firms ... assigned to the tower's construction.

http://www.philly.com/philly/h...ers_on_the_rise.html

That was a great article. Thanks for posting that.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
Seriously makes me sick just watching the video. How anyone can get used to heights like that is crazy to me.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
They swing more brass than steel...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Philly iron workers are a very notorious breed. I’ve known quite a few of them. Not guys you’d want to mess with. Google Dougherty phila ironworkers his story is crazy

Posts: 21 | Registered: November 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:....That is something I would like to say I have done, like climbing the face of Half Dome or El Cap. But I would never really do it.

Okay, I have to tell you this story. When I was a young apprentice in the shipyard, I got tasked with stringin electrical cable across the inside of a large hangar building. It involved climbing up and down a ladder. I got partnered with a guy just coming off "medical leave" for about a year. I have that in quotes if you know what I mean and what kind of person we're talking about.

I was supposed to do the work and he was just there to spot me. way before the half way point, he said, "Dang, let me do it." I was going so slow up and down the rickety ladder for him.

I climbed Half Dome in Yosemite, was laying down, peering over the face, looking straight down about 5,000 feet, was quite cautious, almost queasy. A climber who had just come up the face chided me a bit, stood with the toes of his climbing shoes over the edge, commented "if you can't do this, you will never be a serious climber". I told him I was quite happy where I was as I crawled backwards. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder how these guys feel about Unions?

Posts: 619 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironworker:

They’re Local 401...but What’s that have to do with anything?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I can't even watch it. Much respect to them. I think this is what robots are for....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
quote:

I am a retired Union ironworker. I used to do that kind of work, when I was much younger. The reason I asked about it is because almost any time Unions come up on this forum, I here about how worthless and lazy Union workers are. I thought since we had a positive portrayal of Union Workers, I would mention it.

Posts: 619 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
quote:

I am a retired Union ironworker. I used to do that kind of work, when I was much younger. The reason I asked about it is because almost any time Unions come up on this forum, I here about how worthless and lazy Union workers are. I thought since we had a positive portrayal of Union Workers, I would mention it.

I gotcha. Let’s just all enjoy their badassness.

Just for the record, I’ve never met a worthless or lazy union guy.

posted Hide Post
I would be more scared being the guy one story down standing under the beam that the crane is moving into place. It seems like there should be more than one line holding the beam.

Posts: 3911 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I couldn't do it even if I had a parachute.

My grandfather worked on the exteriors of buildings in the 50's and 60's in Hong Kong when they still used bamboo. He said many fell to their deaths.

Posts: 13097 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a retired Ironworker. Local 8, Milwaukee Wi. 37 years of service..

"Shoot lower, Sheriff, They're ridin' shetlands"
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E. Wi. | Registered: October 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
... and to think it wasn't too awful long ago that those guys did that without harnesses and safety lines.

I've climbed a 100' aerial ladder, and spent quite a bit of time in my old department's 85' ladder tower. That's high enough.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Nucking Futs!! That’s what that is Nucking Futs!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hawgster:
I am a retired Ironworker. Local 8, Milwaukee Wi. 37 years of service..

That’s awesome.

To the two iron workers in this thread. How did you guys choose to pick this Trade over being a plumber/Carpenter/fitter/welder/glaser etc?

posted Hide Post
My Dad was an Ironworker and I followed in his footsteps. It is a tough way to make a living but it is rewarding to see what you accomplished. The money is/was good and the benefits were great. It is way different now than when I started in '73. There was no OSHA back then.. Nobody cared if you were tied off or not. Not that it's a bad thing, but some of their restrictions are over the top!

"Shoot lower, Sheriff, They're ridin' shetlands"
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E. Wi. | Registered: October 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw an ad the Union put in the newspaper. There were 50 people in my apprenticeship class. I think about 20 made it thru the program and became Journeyman.