SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just some Philly Iron Workers Climbing High
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just some Philly Iron Workers Climbing High Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted
I thought this was a recent video, but it’s about a year ago. This building is much, much higher now. It’s the second Comcast Skycraper in the city, I’m sure these guys hate Comcast too Smile

Btw, if you’ve never heard the unique Philly accent, these guys definitely have it.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
We're from Philly F'ing Philly, no one likes , we don't care....

Not in a million years, for a Million dollars!

A buddy of mine does this in Manhattan, and he's a looney as it comes.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
Nope. No way

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toms:
Nope. No way

Yeah, gives me the willys just watching them.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe these guys are called Connectors. They obviously do the highest work. A few bolts in the joint and they move on to the next beam. A crew follows up to install the rest of the bolts and put the correct torque to them.

My father did this for 40 years in and around New York City.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I could not imagine doing that all the time. I can't even imagine getting used to it.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I don't get how a person can function normally up there as if it's just another day at the office.

I know that they are harnessed, but they go about their job as if they were on the ground.

Even if you're not scared of heights, it has to be at least a little unsettling, right?

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
what are they tied off to?? looks like a small steel cable that is under a tension...kinda like a janitors keys?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
what are they tied off to?? looks like a small steel cable that is under a tension...kinda like a janitors keys?

Nah, Bungee cord. Big Grin

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
No fucking way!!!! I am surprised OSHA allows that now. I love watching that but no way in hell am I getting even close. Kuddos to those guys!

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I don't like walking on my 8/12 pitch shop roof 15 feet off the ground. lol

Posts: 5587 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
Oh hell no!

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1449 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope, won't catch me up there either. Not sure if they're still active, but my understanding is in the early 1900's there was a tribe of Indians that was fearless of heights and they were heavily recruited to do this type of work.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One thing about it that's a job an Illegal wouldn't do.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
My Dad was an Ironworker. I always thought that since he had spent 2 years in a tank going through most of Europe that climbing a little iron wasn’t nearly as scary. I couldn’t do it.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by satch:
One thing about it that's a job an Illegal wouldn't do.

I can only imagine the paperwork involved nowadays for this type of work. Christ, on the ship i have to fill out a working aloft permit any time we're doing a job where we are working six feet above the deck, not to mention risk assessments and any other permit that might be associated with the job like enclosed space, lock out/tag out, etc, etc.. When god forbid something goes wrong and someone gets hurt, there is intense scrutiny over everything. Having an illegal on the job site would certainly cause for tough questions. I bet these guys have a buttload of certifications as well including physicals at least once a year and maybe more.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, and I'll add my obligatory "NOPE!"

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I mean honestly, what could go wrong?

Um,...................... Hell to the NO!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I imagine substance abuse is low in that field. Safety gear and exceptional balance mandatory.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post