SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Grizzly TLC...that's a big bear
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grizzly TLC...that's a big bear Login/Join 
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted
A little dated...and politics aside (I think we'd all prefer to see grizzlies in the wild), that's a BIG bear...

Link to original vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvKVGL95wDw

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Nope. And hell nope.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I'm not hanging out with anything that can kill and eat me

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Remember this guy who thought he could leave peacefully with grizzly bears and they ate him and his girlfriend?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Treadwell

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

that's pretty much where I'm at

although I am a surfer and I have often wondered what's out there swimming around / below me...

------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Screw that, I don't need to get one with all creatures.

Posts: 5302 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
My GF is addicted to their videos. The big difference between these people and Tredwell is that these people rescue these bears as cubs, and hand raise them. The bears are incredibly gentle, and very affectionate with them.

Tredwell developed relationships adult wild bears. He was successful with this for years, until he wasn't. He chose to roll the dice, and eventually lost.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
^^Pretty much...this guy puts it pretty well...you can train them, but you can't tame them.

At least he understands better than most...unlike some folks that think real wolves are suitable house pets (not). The only animal at the dog park that ever gave me serious concern was once (and only once) a fellow showed up with looked like about 90+% wolf. It was BIG and almost looked like it wanted to attack everything in the park. I don't believe he ever turned loose of the rope he was using for leash.

They are incredible creatures...I'd like to see one from about 100 yds in the wild...from a Humvee.

Link to original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJXOkal6roA

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
No thank you.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I bet his bill at the bear food store is huge

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s an incredibly impressive animal but along with big cats I’m not hanging out with any of them. The bears head is literally the size of the guys entire upper body and head.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I asked a K9 cop why the police don't use grizzly bears. Excellent sense of smell, highly intelligent, and certainly better equipped to protect their human partners from threats. He told me I was right, but it would be bad for "optics." Makes me angry that the liberal media is preventing Bear Cops from becoming a real thing.

We believe arming our fellow Americans – both physically and philosophically – helps them fulfill our Founding Fathers' intent with the Second Amendment: To serve as a check on state power.

Posts: 280 | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
while stationed in Alaska during the middle 70"s for 3 Bear hunting seasons we tracked a big grizzly but NEVER saw it. I could place both of my boots (size 9 ) in the rear paw print which was 4 inches wider and 6 inches longer. The last time we had been tracking fresh prints for about 1 hour when we turned around backtracking and 15 minutes later we found his fresher prints on top of our footprints. He had flanked us and as tracking us. Estimated size would have been possibly at least 9 ft tall . ALWAYS hunted in Pairs (2 hunters together) carrying a 44mag sidearm and a 338 win magnum rifle........................................ Several times while salmon fishing and had caught fish laying on river bank and had bears come up and start eating my fish. Eventhough with a 44 magnum on my hip it was best to quietly vacate the area and let them have the fish. The trouble that I would have generated with the Alaska Fish and Game would have been major life changing event. Saw people getting into more trouble for violating fish/game laws than violence against another human being. ......................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2007 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
We were at a fishing expo at the local convention center a few years ago. One of the attractions was a grizzly bear. The guys I was with wanted to go see it so I reluctantly went. The bear looked to be young maybe 200-250lbs. It was in a makeshift pen with some straw bales and some straw spread on the floor. It put itself in the furthest corner it could and laid on the floor with it's nose poking through the mesh of the wire pen. Clearly a unhappy animal in a sad situation.

To make it worse the guy in the pen looked like he should be serving margarita's at some bar on a tropical island somewhere. He was clearly not a trainer. Most likely he somehow acquired the animal and figured he could make a few bucks showing the bear as a side show. Every now and again he would approach the bear from the back and pull on one of his rear legs trying to get the animal to walk around so people could see it. Bear was having no part of it and just stayed in his corner. It was a disgusting display and we left pretty quickly.

I'm hoping when that bear gets mercifully put out of his misery one day it's because someone opened the pen and the bear was shitting out a full set of dred locks.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Maybe after bears have been domesticated for 20,000 years, and don't weigh 900 pounds.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

Yup, I was already married.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
Hell no am I snuggling up to an apex predator. Cannot be tamed - it may seem gentle and affectionate right up to the day when it decides it’s had enough of your crap and kills and eats you.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
This will end badly.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
We were over in BC one time and dropped by a mobile presentation on bear awareness being given by the Yoho Park Rangers.

Apart from the do's and don't's they showed a couple of movies that have stayed with me all my life so far.

The first was basically aimed at anybody intent on anybody going to the West coast island chain, particularly the Charlottes, where they have a unique brand of brown bear that is white, called a Kermode. They are held as sacred to the indigenous people and if you are ever fortunate enough to see one then the mana passes to you and you'll be lucky henceforth. It's a cool-looking white bear that is not a Polar Bear. Kill one and the Bear God will find you and do things to you that will be talked about for a thousand years to come.

The second movie was taken on an old-fashioned 16mm movie camera somewhere not too far north from Vancouver out on the West Coast, and showed, among other things, a fine-looking grizzly bear chasing a ranger downhill - something that rumour holds that bears can't do. The only thing that saved the ranger from becoming a tasty snack was him clearing a ten-foot wide and five or six-foot-deep firebreak. This epic feat of athleticism was not due to his state of fitness, but rather to the sheer panic of the horse he was riding - at about 28mph the bear was gaining with almost every lollop until the firebreak got in the way.

Posts: 11323 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post