SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need some rain gear for the range, any suggestions?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need some rain gear for the range, any suggestions? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
We’re starting into a rainy spring again and I need some rain gear, most specifically pants for the range. Also to be used as wind block in the winter.

I’d like something that I can slip on over my jeans and allow for kneeling without getting torn up real fast and such. I use a Bladetech double belt setup with a CompTac holster so maybe something with belt loops or that will work with the set up.

I realize I may need two sets depending on the seasons.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
FrogToggs is what most of our archers use for rain gear.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Stormr specializes in rain gear they might have something. Or Alaskan Hardgear sold by Duluth Trading is another place you might look. Rain pants with belt loops might be hard to come by as most are designed to go over your pants so they assume you’re already wearing a belt.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have several sets of Cabelas Guidewear with Goretex that provides great service. One set is 25 years old and still holding up. I always have a set in a compression bag in my truck. Also for a rain hat I recommend the Seattle Sombrero from Outdoor Research.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
Ever consider golf outerwear?

I find great deals on breathable, waterproof jackets and pants at rockbottomgolf.com.

My current rainwear is Carnoustie... excellent stuff and can be had cheap if you don't care about having the "current" fashion... I know I don't.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1598 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
Never been disappointed with Frogg Toggs. Lightweight and breathable.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
FrogToggs

....another recent fan here, got a jacket on sale for $32, amazing material. Very effective. Unsure of how durable, have only used thru one fall-winter season. Works very well for my own range sessions (non-archer).

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I got a pair of surplus APEC trousers that fit the need perfectly. Heavy nylon that feels really substantial, belt loops, hip pocket access, cargo pockets, ankle zips to fit over boots. Sadly the place I got them at are out of stock, they are expensive new.

Posts: 9955 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Belt loops aren’t mandatory, just need to work with the gear. I’ve seen the FroggToggs but they always seemed pretty snag and tear prone.

I’ll look at the FroggToggs again.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I found my old issue GoreTex jacket but it’s heavier than I need and I have better stuff that works with my holster. Nobody local has anything but the Tavek/paper look material Frogg Toggs.

posted Hide Post
I have a Colombia goretex set that is light weight, goes right over existing pant's/clothes without any snag points and stops wind and rain, easy to move in, and has held up over a few years of use.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
FrogToggs is what most of our archers use for rain gear.
^^^This.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bikers wear FrogToggs. Serious long distance bikers in extreme cold weather wear Rukka.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Frog Toggs have always performed well for me wether it be shoveling snow in the wind while snowing or riding the bike in the rain.

The Columbia jacket has also done well while riding the bike on road trips. It has vents in the pits to help keep you cool during hotter weather. I have been very happy with the Columbia jacket for riding the bike. Rain, wind, cold... It keeps you comfortable. It also has a zip in liner for use in colder weather.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post