Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP Navy Seal Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
A Navy SEAL Team member died Sunday after his parachute failed to open during a demonstration over the Hudson River.

A Navy spokesman said the accident occurred shortly after noon Sunday near Liberty State Park in Jersey City, N.J. The Navy said the parachutist was rescued from the water by the Coast Guard and local fire department responders who were on standby; he was pronounced dead at a hospital at 1:10 p.m.
One witness, photographer Joe Shine, told NJ.com that the parachutist seemed to realize that the chute wouldn't open and cut himself loose so that he would land in the Hudson River.

The parachutist was a member of an elite Navy parachute team called the Leap Frogs. Navy and Coast Guard members were participating in the program.
He wasn't identified pending notification of his family.

The cause of the parachute malfunction is under investigation. NJ.com reported that the parachute landed in a Jersey City parking lot and was being examined by local police.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017...fleet-week-show.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
Fair winds sailor.

Posts: 5736 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Wow! How in the hell? So sad. Frown

Q

Posts: 26372 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Dammit.

RIP, sailor.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RIP Sailor. Prayers for your family.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
So Sad! RIP

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Just heard. Awful news.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damn. RIP.

dont they have back up chutes???

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
Damn. RIP.

It was probably a low-opening combat drop. They offer you a reserve chute, but everyone knows if something goes wrong, you'll never get a chance to use it. Most guys just refuse it. He's not the first to go this way.

That's some kind of composure. Cutting away your dead parachute so you can actually over-shoot your landing target and hit a river, giving yourself the best chance of surviving.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16337 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:
Damn. RIP.

It was probably a low-opening combat drop. They offer you a reserve chute, but everyone knows if something goes wrong, you'll never get a chance to use it. Most guys just refuse it. He's not the first to go this way.

That's some kind of composure. Cutting away your dead parachute so you can actually over-shoot your landing target and hit a river, giving yourself the best chance of surviving.

how low do they open on those HALO jumps?

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
RIP Sir. What a tragedy.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:
Damn. RIP.

Wouldn't know the lowest they go, but I've heard of an actual 500 ft combat drop (Rangers) into Panama.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16337 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Tragic.
RIP sailor.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:

A friend of mine did HALO training some years ago and he told me that they open at 400 ft.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11107 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Question:

I read this last night, and then again this morning:

Video taken by ABC station WABC-TV showed part of the parachute coming down after the parachutist separated from his chute and landed in the water.

Both articles state that he "cut away" from his chute. Those of you who jump, what possible scenerio could you encounter where you would feel the need to sepeate yourself from your chute prior to landing?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12327 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
Fair winds and following seas! RIP.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1683 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KJacques
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Question:

I read this last night, and then again this morning:

Video taken by ABC station WABC-TV showed part of the parachute coming down after the parachutist separated from his chute and landed in the water.

Both articles state that he "cut away" from his chute. Those of you who jump, what possible scenerio could you encounter where you would feel the need to sepeate yourself from your chute prior to landing?

The only reason to cut away would be a malfunctioning main. But that's a decision you'd make with enough altitude. Hard to understand with a jumper this experienced unless he thought he could correct it and ate up altitude struggling with it.

Posts: 578 | Registered: June 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
quote:

A friend of mine did HALO training some years ago and he told me that they open at 400 ft.

Wow thats nuts.