SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cell phone sizing website
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cell phone sizing website Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
O! Oracles of SIGforum!!

My brain continues its steady deterioration into a rusty sieve.

I recall someone mentioning a website that helps you identity cell phones that will fit your hand based on measurements of your hand.

Can someone help a guy out with the URL?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This one is a little out of date with current models but it should get you to the correct size.

second link is the screen fitter if you want to skip the article.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/h...your-hand-1395795606

http://graphicsweb.wsj.com/doc...nomics/?standalone=1

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Not exactly what you asked for, but I've used this for size comparison.

http://mobiledevicesize.com/compare/

You start typing the phone name at the top and the system completes a list of choices. Then add another ...

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Maybe you should go to the store and hold them.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
There's more to it than just "fits your hand." There's placement of the power switch and volume rocker, how thick is the device, whether it's textured or slippery. Just to name a few.

FWIW: I have large-ish hands. Usually wear an XL glove. I find anything over what typically hosts about a 5" display to be too cumbersome. My old 1st Gen. Moto G, with a 4-1/2" display, was perfect in that regard. I don't know if anybody even makes a "smart"phone that small, any more.

I like my 3rd Gen. Moto G's display, but, I'm kind of surprised I haven't dropped it, yet, fumbling with it. Even just getting it in and out of a pocket is a bigger challenge.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
Phonearena.com has a good comparison tool as well.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:

Yeah, nothing beats a hand-on experience. Any decent-sized cell phone store will have over a dozen different models of most every major brand, that you can manhandle pretty much all you want.

Much better, IMO, than trying to rely solely on a size chart. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I don't follow this about "fitting your hand"?

They are all basically a variant of a 3 inch by 4 inch or 4 inch by 6 inch rectangle now? The only issue I can see if you are worried about it fitting in your pocket?

quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
My old 1st Gen. Moto G, with a 4-1/2" display, was perfect in that regard. I don't know if anybody even makes a "smart"phone that small, any more.

Apple still does: the iPhone SE, which is a variant of the 5/5c/5s with a 4 inch screen. Both my parents now have this size as they weren't thrilled with having to carry larger phones.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:

Yeah, nothing beats a hand-on experience. Any decent-sized cell phone store will have over a dozen different models of most every major brand, that you can manhandle pretty much all you want.

Much better, IMO, than trying to rely solely on a size chart. . .

Best Buy would be my suggestion. Not every carrier supports every cellphone. But Best Buy is in the business of casting as wide a net as possible and will have every type of cellphone available.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I don't follow this about "fitting your hand"?

They are all basically a variant of a 3 inch by 4 inch or 4 inch by 6 inch rectangle now? The only issue I can see if you are worried about it fitting in your pocket?

I'm with you. Maybe it is power-texters looking for convenient locations for soft keys?

I use two hands with my beastie - one holds, the other futzes. Maybe that's retro, but anything that fits my pocket works with that use case.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Take the URL (the web address), and add an m. in front of it, and you should get the mobile site.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
...a website that helps you identity cell phones that will fit your hand based on measurements of your hand.

That'd be useful. I'm more interested in which might possibly fit in my pocket. Especially the left front of 5.11 shorts. I seem to be able to carry there without destroying a phone.

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post