SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Time for a mutiny in these over reaching states?
Page 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 46
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time for a mutiny in these over reaching states? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
A few things stick out in that article

It occurred in New York City, and County Sheriffs are handling it. Makes me think of a few scenarios-
NYPD either said "Hell no", or have said "Hell no" to enforcing this bullshit in the past that they weren't even asked.

Someone in the Sheriff's Dept is trying to gain favor, or easily led around (probably a political hack).

With all of the "real" crime going on the New York City right now, these fuckin' panzies (or the ones who came up with this bullshit) need to be dragged into an alley and get ghetto whipped with a purple dildo.

I like the "autonomous zone"! Use the same rules against them!

I hope the lawyers sue the ever lovin shit out of the Sheriffs office, the Mayor and the Governor. Go for punitive damages, and DONT let up!!!

We unfortunately had a similar situation here in Chicago this past weekend.
Health Dept along with building inspectors and CPD shut down a 300 person party in Wicker Park. I don't know WHO (ie. Police or Health Dept)issued the tickets, but I feel sorry for them... If they were Cops, they should know better.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Supreme Court Sides With Challenge to California's COVID-19 Religious Service Curbs
Thursday, 03 December 2020 01:00 PM

The U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday delivered a blow to California Governor Gavin Newsom's pandemic-related ban on indoor religious services, siding with a church that defied the policy and challenged it as unconstitutional religious discrimination.

The decision followed a similar action by the justices on Nov. 25 that backed Christian and Jewish houses of worship that challenged New York state restrictions in coronavirus hot spots.

The justices, with no noted dissents, set aside a lower court ruling that rejected a challenge to Newsom's policy by Harvest Rock Church Inc, which has several campuses in the state, and Harvest International Ministries Inc, an association of churches. Both are based in Pasadena, a city in Los Angeles County.

The justices directed the lower court to reconsider the case in light of their ruling in the New York case.

California's pandemic-related restrictions have evolved throughout the year. Newsom, a Democrat, initially ordered houses of worship to be closed completely in March as part of a broad stay-at-home directive. Some restrictions were lifted in the spring, but new curbs were introduced in July after a surge in cases, which was when Harvest Rock Church first sued.

The state's current plan imposed county-specific limits based on the number of COVID-19 cases. Under the policy, houses of worship in the worst-hit areas could not hold indoor gatherings but could do so outdoors. In other counties, houses of worship could have indoor events with capacity restrictions.

The state imposed similar restrictions on what it called comparable businesses and activities such as museums, movie theaters and restaurants that also draw crowds of people.

In the New York case, the justices said the New York restrictions "single out houses of worship for especially harsh treatment" in part by allowing various businesses to operate indoors without the same occupancy restrictions.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Intercourse Governor Nuisance...and his hair gel.

quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Supreme Court Sides With Challenge to California's COVID-19 Religious Service Curbs
Thursday, 03 December 2020 01:00 PM

The U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday delivered a blow to California Governor Gavin Newsom's pandemic-related ban on indoor religious services, siding with a church that defied the policy and challenged it as unconstitutional religious discrimination.

The decision followed a similar action by the justices on Nov. 25 that backed Christian and Jewish houses of worship that challenged New York state restrictions in coronavirus hot spots.

The justices, with no noted dissents, set aside a lower court ruling that rejected a challenge to Newsom's policy by Harvest Rock Church Inc, which has several campuses in the state, and Harvest International Ministries Inc, an association of churches. Both are based in Pasadena, a city in Los Angeles County.

The justices directed the lower court to reconsider the case in light of their ruling in the New York case.

California's pandemic-related restrictions have evolved throughout the year. Newsom, a Democrat, initially ordered houses of worship to be closed completely in March as part of a broad stay-at-home directive. Some restrictions were lifted in the spring, but new curbs were introduced in July after a surge in cases, which was when Harvest Rock Church first sued.

The state's current plan imposed county-specific limits based on the number of COVID-19 cases. Under the policy, houses of worship in the worst-hit areas could not hold indoor gatherings but could do so outdoors. In other counties, houses of worship could have indoor events with capacity restrictions.

The state imposed similar restrictions on what it called comparable businesses and activities such as museums, movie theaters and restaurants that also draw crowds of people.

In the New York case, the justices said the New York restrictions "single out houses of worship for especially harsh treatment" in part by allowing various businesses to operate indoors without the same occupancy restrictions.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
[note: pic, hyperlinks, and comments can be found at linked article]

========================

Pitkin County ready to launch COVID-19 affidavit for Aspen area visitors

County will be first in Colorado to require visitors to arrive with negative COVID-19 test results

December 2, 2020

Carolyn Sackariason
Aspen Times

An affidavit requiring visitors to acknowledge they have come to the area with a negative COVID-19 test and understand the local public health orders is being prepared for mass distribution in Pitkin County so that lodges and businesses are prepared for its implementation on Dec. 14.

That’s according to county manager Jon Peacock, who gave a COVID update Tuesday to Aspen City Council and county commissioners during a joint meeting.

The goal between now and Dec. 14 is to make guests aware of the requirements before they arrive, which puts the burden on industry representatives and the government to communicate collaboratively.

“One of our challenges is Pitkin County is the only county in Colorado that will have these types of requirements,” Peacock said, “and so it’s going to take an extra push in partnership with all of our partners to make sure guests are aware of these requirements, hopefully before they come, but if not, at least after they get here.”

The affidavit will include confirmation that a visitor has had a negative test result within 72 hours of travel, or will quarantine upon arrival, either for 14 days, or until they obtain a negative test result at their cost in Pitkin County.

Visitors also will be asked to certify that they’ve been symptom free 10 days prior to travel, as well as any dependents traveling with them.

A visitor is anyone who is coming overnight from outside of Pitkin, Eagle or Garfield counties.

The Pitkin County’s IT department this week is building the web-based affidavit so it can be widely accessed prior to Dec. 14, and businesses and government start messaging to those who have booked to come here in the future.

Peacock said the affidavit will be available at local lodges and short-term rentals at check-in, as well as at the Aspen-Pitkin County Airport.

“We’re also working with the airlines who have agreed to work with us to make sure that the affidavit requirement is part of their communications. … We are really trying a multi-channel approach,” Peacock said. “We’re really going for the voluntary compliance first, then what we’re talking about is, from a public health perspective, how we might do some spot checking … and just some random sampling to request test results and such.”

Officials recognized it may be difficult to enforce and will be relying on personal responsibility to follow COVID protocols. However, if someone does test positive in the county they will be put under an isolation order through the public health department, Peacock noted.

The point is to limit the risk of somebody coming to the area with the virus, but little can be done locally to control the rising cases in neighboring counties of Eagle and Garfield, where the majority of Aspen’s workforce lives.

“I think we have a really good system in place as best we can for our visitors, but frankly I think the elephant in the room and I’m just as concerned about is 30 miles down the road, where you got a county with county commissioners who seem to be ignoring the science in front of them and knowing that so much of our workforce is traveling up on RFTA or carpooling,” Pitkin County Commissioner George Newman said of Garfield County’s recent pushback to the state. “That’s an issue that we are exposing ourselves to because another county’s unwillingness to make these hard choices … that puts us at risk and our businesses at risk.”

Peacock responded that jurisdictions in Pitkin County may have to lobby for equal and equitable enforcement of COVID restrictions on restaurant capacity and other limitations, just like the mayors representing cities on the Front Range made a plea to Gov. Jared Polis regarding the same issue.

Meanwhile, Aspen and the surrounding area are on trajectory of rising cases that could put Pitkin County in level Red on the state’s COVID-19 dial, which would mean even further restrictions.

Currently, the state has Pitkin County on level Orange with some other self-imposed restrictions. Restaurants are limited to 25% capacity and retail at 50%. Last call at restaurants is 9:30 p.m. and a curfew of 10 p.m. at those establishments is in effect.

The state classifies each county on its color-coded COVID-19 Dial according to incidence rate, positivity rate and the number of hospitalizations. Any county that remains in the Red level on two or more of those metrics for 14 consecutive days is moved to the next level.

On Tuesday, the Pitkin County’s incidence rate, which is based on a population of 100,000, was at 709 for the past 14 days; 350 is considered the threshold for fewer restrictions.

Also, the county’s positivity rate is climbing. It was at 9.8% on Monday; 15% is what triggers the Red level.

Garfield County’s incidence rate was 983 on Monday, with a positivity rate of 12.6% and the number of hospitalizations also on level Red, according to Peacock.

There had only been one hospitalization at Aspen Valley Hospital due to COVID in the past 24 hours as of Tuesday’s case data report.

Cases continue to rise in Pitkin County, with the single highest daily number being 21 on Nov. 28. In the past 14 days, Pitkin County has recorded 126 cases.

“It’s really hard to see how we’re going to have 14 days with our numbers below 350 … prior to heading into Christmas to increase our capacity at restaurants back up to 50% for indoor capacity,” said Commissioner Kelly McNicholas Kury. “It’s hard to see a scenario where we move into Yellow, so for me that’s some real writing on the wall … these incidence numbers are really alarming.”

csackariason@aspentimes.com

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Michigan update: Lock down extended to Dec. 20th.
Supposedly at the request of the Michigan Hospital Assn.
www.wluctv.com

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Michigan update: Lock down extended to Dec. 20th.
Supposedly at the request of the Michigan Hospital Assn.

Then the lock down should be rescinded at the request of the "we've had it association".

Must be nice for an association to be able to recommend a state lock down and get it.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The presser claims this hospital group represents all the hospitals in the state. And the hospital CEOs of the group were mentioned as being involved.
My guess is it is all about $$$.

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

County will be first in Colorado to require visitors to arrive with negative COVID-19 test results

Fuck. You.

It's about damn time people en masse start pushing back and refusing to comply with this unconstitutional, irrational crap. One or two here or there isn't going to cut it. Everyone. Everyone must resist these asshole, scientific dictators. Take off your damn masks for starters. I can't believe how far into the pit this country has fallen in just a few months. So many things in this country that I never would've imagined seeing are now being treated as completely normal day in and day out. It's shameful.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My guess is it is all about $$$.

It will always be about the $$$ as long as the government is throwing huge amounts of money to every body that has a hand in the reporting of cases.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:

Pitkin County ready to launch COVID-19 affidavit for Aspen area visitors

How are they going to enforce this? Confused Roll Eyes Set up roadblocks on every highway and back road and have cops ask for "your papers?"

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Virginia County Rebels Against Gov. Northam's Lockdown Restrictions - Declares Itself "First Amendment Sanctuary"

https://www.zerohedge.com/poli...eclares-itself-first

Campbell County, Virginia has rejected Democratic Governor Ralph Northam's coronavirus restrictions - declaring itself a "First Amendment sanctuary" in a resolution which makes it the first locality in the state to openly resist Northam's orders.

The County Board of Supervisors unanimously approved the measure last week in response to Northam's pre-Thanksgiving limits on public gatherings to 25 people or fewer, as well as an extension on the state's mask mandate to include children over the age of five. Restaurants are also prohibited from selling alcohol after 10 p.m.

Campbell County's resolution requests that the sheriff's department refuse to assist any official - state or federal - in "attempting to enforce the unconstitutional order of the Governor."

The rebellious decision echoes a 2019 measure in which the county (which voted 71% for Trump in the 2020 election) declared itself a "Second Amendment sanctuary" as one of several counties and cities which passed similar measures rejecting new gun-control laws in the commonwealth, according to WAVY.

A group known as the Virginia Constitutional Conservatives has played a vital role in the latest push to reject statewide guidelines, drafting a template resolution online that proposes bold provisions for constitutional officers to follow.

The template calls for local law enforcement to arrest “any State Police officer, State Health Agent, or Federal Agent” who attempts to enforce the governor’s order and for commonwealth’s attorneys “not prosecute the unconstitutional mandates prohibiting the people’s right to peaceably assemble.” Failure to follow these clauses “will result in the immediate removal of County funding.” -WAVY

The resolution approved by Campbell County's board excludes language threatening budgets of sheriff's departments and local prosecutors.

Matt Cline, a supervisor who represents the County's Concord district, called Northam's order yet another example of government overreach.

"The governor’s order restricts the First Amendment and this resolution is in support of the rights of the citizens. Local businesses are struggling, these are real problems, not a political issue," Cline said last Wednesday. "It isn’t right or left, these are real problems, just as covid is real."

"It’s important to note what’s not in this resolution as well," he added. "It doesn’t say be cavalier, or that covid is a hoax. And it doesn’t say don’t wear a mask. It’s the responsibility of the individual."

Campbell, located near Lynchburg, has had an average of 16 new COVID-19 cases per day in the last week out of its population of 55,000 according to the state's health department

Posts: 12580 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Yesterday 17 December Oregon got a Christmas present from our Dictator... umm I mean Governor.

Yes three more months of lockdown..... Goal post pushed from 02 January 2021 to March 2021.

I for one refuse to comply.

I will not wear a mask. I will not close my photography business (my secondary income), and I will patronize any restaurant, bar, or business that chooses to stay open (especially if they have indoor dining because it is getting chilly outside).

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
^^^^^Everyone must take this tactic as well. I implore all to do it.

But I fear it is not to be. Most will likely just roll over and comply. Sad.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our Dipshit Dem governor in MN 'graciously allowed' restaurants and bars to be open for OUTDOOR dining at 50% or 100 people until the next shut down in Jan.

Outdoor dining - in MN - in Dec. Highs next week in the single digits. Thank you oh benevolent leader.

They're arresting bar owners that opened in defiance of the order (our second lock down was a 'Pause' until dec 19th which is now extended until Jan 11). Liquor licenses suspended, $10k fines.

We can once again associate with people outside of our immediate household. At most 2 households with less than 10 people (increased from NO contact with anyone outside of your household for the prior month).

This fucker needs to go.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1745 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our fine Govenor has extended the restrictions until January 15th. I dont know why she doesnt just go-ahead and extend the lock down for all 2021.
It would save us from having to watch her press conferences for a while, anyway.

posted Hide Post
There's no end game. 3 weeks \ 3 months and nothings changed. Bill Gates said with a smile- This won't change until the whole world is vaccinated.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And the Michigan Legislature jumped on board the Governors "stimulus" proposal. 465 Million bucks.
They claim the money is coming from "higher than expected tax revenue". Some people will get 1600+ dollars. Supposedly small businesses will get some of the money and unemployment eligibility payments have been extended.
Now, my question is this: With all the lock downs and associated loss of sales and gas taxes, how can there be higher tax revenue?

Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Be interesting to see how this plays out. No coverage in major media but it is all over social media. People in Anchorage have had enough of he former mayor, acting mayor and city council.

https://mustreadalaska.com/day...-civil-disobedience/

DECEMBER 13, 2020 AUTHOR: SUZANNE DOWNING205 COMMENTS
‘Day of Reckoning’ as Anchorage shopkeepers, cafes plan to open fully in act of civil disobedience

Shopkeepers, cafes, and other businesses are banding together to open on
Saturday, Dec. 19, in defiance of the Anchorage acting mayor’s lockdown order, EO16, which has kept restaurants closed, and others crippled with 25 percent capacity orders.

The group is calling itself Anchorage Business Coalition and is supporting all businesses. The group is preparing a mass civil disobedience of the shutdown orders that as many as 100 businesses have agreed to join.

The group has been meeting for several weeks to find a way to salvage the Anchorage economy and Christmas in Alaska’s largest city. Many shoppers are either purchasing only online or are traveling to the Mat-Su Valley for their annual gift pursuits, since Anchorage has only allowed the big box stores to remain fully functional.

The small businesses that have decided to fully open on Saturday are not ready to be named because the owners fear being arrested or punished, according to a Must Read Alaska source involved with the effort. But a group organizer says businesses are fully prepared to offer goods, services, just like the big box stores do in Anchorage without harassment from the mayor’s code enforcers.

Numerous stores and restaurants have folded this year after several seesawing shutdowns mandated by the Municipality of Anchorage. Those that remain open are hoping to hang on long enough for the economy to return, which may be several months or years away.

Plans are also under way for Saturday for yet another rolling rally that will be supporting all businesses in Anchorage. Several people from Kenai and the Mat-Su are committed to coming to Anchorage to shop in the stores that day and eat at the restaurants, according to the organizers.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been hoping for the same thing here for a long time and still waiting. Business should band together like this everywhere and give these dictators a big middle finger.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Yeah, People participating in this nonsense are the reason it proliferates. Our slimy political representatives are simply reacting to the perceived desire to 'do something'. Without sanity prevailing, this ludicrous overreaction could continue indefinitely...the pathogens passed around are legion.

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post